Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tuesday Is My Day, Now Doubting It :(

Well I'm being sleeved on Tuesday. I've been so excited now I'm scared and have doubts. Is this really worth it? Will it work. I'm 4"11 and weigh 200lbs. Short and no place to put it. I never go anywhere because I feel so gross. I live in my own prison. I think on one hand it's my only chance to start living again. Is this the right surgery for me? Should I have gone with the lab band or the other one. Will I ever get to eat real food again? Scared and lonely

I was having the same feelings when I got sleeved it July it was the best thing for me I to was considering the band but chose the sleeve because of less complications and no need to continue follow up care the rest of you life to have adjustments

I was also told I would lose more weight with the sleeve I am down almost 90 pounds and only 10-13 pounds from goal it will be 3 months tomorrow since surgery you will also have to weight several weeks before the band will even be inflated to help with weight loss then lots of adjustments there after

I can't say whether you should have surgery - I personally think if you are high BMI, have tried over and over to get and keep weight off... and especially as you get older - your chances of getting to a healthy weight without surgery is pretty low. I think that as you get older, the risks from obesity become more scary then the risk from surgery.

Whatever you do - DON'T get the lapband. I can go on and on all the reasons, but if you are worried about "eating normal food" the sleeve is a much much much better choice then the lapband. I had the band for 10 years and even with NO fill in it, I could never eat rice for example. Many veggies and dense Proteins could be difficult to eat. i have been sleeved almost 10 months and although there are food restrictions at the beginning - now I can eat anything, just in small portions. It is much easier to eat healthy with the sleeve over the band. There are other benefits as well, but since you mention that concern I wanted to point out the contrast.

As far as gastric bypass - do look into it. It has been around a long time and although you will hear it knocked on this forum (by people who have not had it done) it is a valid choice. It wasn't a good choice for me as I didn't want a "pouch" again like I had with the band, but the stats are a little better then the sleeve honestly.

name='olivia1425' timestamp='1349534519' post='514199'][/b]

being sleeved on Tuesday. excited now scared, have doubts. really worth it? Scared and lonely

Olivia

having WLS is a big decision - people don't turn to WLS until all other avenues have been exhausted.

i looked at my weight over the past decades, yo yo dieting - weighing too much - health issues - personal issues - i came to my informed decision that WLS is my last resort

if i had been too nervous to proceed w/the sleeve - i would never have reached this healthier, happier stage of my life

its "probably" safe to say you are going through the above, and would like to turn your life around, using the sleeve as a helper towards the next, healthier happier time of your life

you are understandably scared/nervous

you will deal with many changes in your life towards eating...it will be a long process for the rest of your life,

your excess weight didn't happen over night, don't expect the weight to fall off a week after surgery..

but the weight will leave your body at its own pace, making you very happy

you have thoroughly researched the sleeve - you checked everything out, you know what you are facing (to a point)

Of course its your decision - i hope you proceed w/the sleeve - my opinion, my 2 cents worth

now...open the door to the wonderful world of the sleeve.walk in...and don't ever look back

good luck

speedy recovery

Thank you! I am still having the surgery come hell or high water! I've waited 3 years to do this until my youngest grad high school. I guess I'm just letting anxiety gt the best of me. I don't really have a support here as both my boys left for military the past couple months, so it's just me. I'm alone and scared and have only told a couple of friends. Mainly I don't want to hear them saying you don't need that, just get up and exercise. If it was that easy, we would all be skinny. I think I'm more scared of the after surgery and finances. I've put all my ducks in this and now I"m stressed about money. lol The shakes you guy from the doctor is so expensive, Does anyone know what I can buy at the grocery store that might be cheaper and still get the Protein you need?

good luck! I am excited to see how it works out for you!!! I am only 5 feet tall and 223 so I am interested in how the shortys take it ;) BTW- Its so normal to be nervous about everything!!You want this and you made an informed decision!!! Good luck and keep us posted!!!

...BTW- Its so normal to be nervous about everything!!You want this and you made an informed decision!!! Good luck and keep us posted!!!

My psych told me that if I WEREN'T nervous then she'd be concerned!

I'm going through the same thing. I've never had surgery, never had anesthesia, never stayed overnight at a hospital. Yes, I am a bundle of nerves. But I keep reminding myself how great life is going to be & and how much better i am going to feel once I get this weight off 8)