Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It seems crazy to me looking through all of these threads and seeing all the significant weight losses in short periods of time. Sometimes I wonder if I would just try one more time to eat healthy and exercise, could I do it on my own? But I seriously doubt it. To everyone around me, wanting this surgery seems obsurd to them. They just don't get it. They don't get the fact that I'm so tired of failing... It's exhausting. It's painful to sit back and know that I could be living a better life than what I am now. Being fat is completely devastating. I've even almost convinced myself that I love food so much that I can't get the surgery because I would miss it. Isn't that ridiculous? Some days I feel so down and all I can think about is saving the money and getting my butt to Mexico ASAP! Lol

Yeah, I can relate to a lot of what you're saying. I decided I was fat, had been fat for a while, and didn't want to be fat anymore. Seeing people in motorized wheelchairs because they're too fat to stand made me think, hey, why wouldn't they (i.e. ME) get a surgery and possibly a solution instead of being impaired. I think this surgery is a miracle treatment. It's a little push in the right direction with a lot of help from the body. They actually cut out the part of the stomach that makes grehlin, a hormone that makes you hungry! Getting full easier, enjoying being full sooner, that's all good. It's like my appetite has been altered and with it, my mindset.

It seems crazy to me looking through all of these threads and seeing all the significant weight losses in short periods of time. Sometimes I wonder if I would just try one more time to eat healthy and exercise' date=' could I do it on my own? But I seriously doubt it. To everyone around me, wanting this surgery seems obsurd to them. They just don't get it. They don't get the fact that I'm so tired of failing... It's exhausting. It's painful to sit back and know that I could be living a better life than what I am now. Being fat is completely devastating. I've even almost convinced myself that I love food so much that I can't get the surgery because I would miss it. Isn't that ridiculous? Some days I feel so down and all I can think about is saving the money and getting my butt to Mexico ASAP! Lol[/quote']

I don't think that's crazy at all. I actually felt similarly. Everyone has their own demons to battle. For me, I loved food because it has always been a comfort. There was a period of time after making the decision to have the surgery that I just ate everything I put my hands on. I even made a post about it here. It's hard to think about losing that comfort. But in actuality, it's the food that is killing me. Even knowing this, there's still days that I think I will miss food and wonder if I'm making the right decision. That's when I go back and read the success stories and see the pictures that prove that the people that have gone through with the surgery aren't missing a thing. In fact, they are enjoying life again, and I want that to be me so bad.

I suggest making a list of all the reasons you want the surgery to begin with. There's even a similar post on this board. Write down everything. Then go back to that list when you need a boost.

As for the family not getting it, I know that feeling well. It's hard when you don't have the support of the people you love and care about most. In my case, most of my family doesn't understand the hell it is to be so overweight. They don't understand the physical pain and mental anguish I go through on a daily basis. I haven't even told my own father because I know his answer would be, "just eat healthy and exercise, you don't need surgery." I'm thankful for the people on these forums who understand what I'm going through and are here to offer support and encouragement.

Ultimately the decision is personal. Everyone who has chosen wls has done so for their own reasons. It's not an easy decision to come to, and for me it was a process. I haven't had surgery yet, but its scheduled for later on this month. Every day I feel more and more excitement knowing I have made the commitment and am following through. You should have seen me when I booked the flight. I just sat there, hovering over the button, and felt this huge rush of excitement when I finally clicked it lol. It took over a year of contemplating for me to reach my decision. I am sure I'll experience more emotions as time draws closer, but I am no longer sabotaging myself or my efforts to lose weight.

I know exactly what you guys are saying! I get so excited some times thinking about it to where I can't really sleep at night. I just lie there awake thinking about it and how different my life will be someday :)

Sometimes I wonder if I would just try one more time to eat healthy and exercise, could I do it on my own? But I seriously doubt it.

This is where i am right now...*sigh*

I'm hoping you can save and get to MX ASAP! Best of luck to you!