Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very sore after surgery

Hello All,

Just couple quick questions? My surgery went well just very very sore and hard to get around.

Any tips on how to make that better please let me know?

Also is heat or ice better ? I used ice yesterday and it seem to feel better today Heat seems to feel better is one better than the other am I making it worse by using heat?

How long will I be this sore?

Is it normal that I really have no desire to eat?

Trying to think of all my questions at one time so I don't bombard the board.

How do you support your self when you cough is your hand good enough or do I need a pillow?

Thanks Larry

Thanks for your help

Just give it a bit of time, I was banded on Tuesday and it was difficult for me to move the rest of Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday earlier in the day. It was so much better yesterday and today, I'm almost normal moving now.

Welcome to Band Land, my friend. The first few days after my surgery, I too was sore. liquid Tylenol once or twice a day seemed to relieve the pain, at least enough for a few hours sleep. I also kept a pillow handy. I used icepacks on my stomach and heating pad on my back. By day 4, the pain had dulled dramatically to the point of just discomfort. I didn't feel like eating much of anything, but I choked down the Protein drinks plus some broth, Jello and many sf popsicles. When I reached my tolerance for any more broth, I moved on to egg drop Soup and strained out the egg portion. I did the same with hot and sour Soup. Be thinking of soft, creamy textures, low low or nonfat, high in Protein, e.g. hummus.

Hang in there man; the worst is behind you. I'm 17 days post-op and down 18 lbs from the day I was banded and 40 total from 8/26, the day when I made the decision to be banded. Best to you, Larry.

Hello All,

Just couple quick questions? My surgery went well just very very sore and hard to get around.

Any tips on how to make that better please let me know?

Also is heat or ice better ? I used ice yesterday and it seem to feel better today Heat seems to feel better is one better than the other am I making it worse by using heat?

How long will I be this sore?

Is it normal that I really have no desire to eat?

Trying to think of all my questions at one time so I don't bombard the board.

How do you support your self when you cough is your hand good enough or do I need a pillow?

Thanks Larry

Thanks for your help

Hi Larry, I had my surgery on Wed. Still sore. Ice was okay for the first day, use heating pad for rest of time. Doc gave me Tylenol w/codeine...did you get it too? I find it doesn't make me sleepy but takes the pain out. it is very normal to feel this pain and tired..it was major surgery, they poked us in 5 places and we had all our functions shut down...under extreme meds. So yeah this is all normal.

I am also not hungry, but I think I am on my way to dehydration..bad very bad. I try to drink, ugh just don't feel like it. I never want to see Jell-O again..lol. Tomorrow I can start on pudding, I am so excited!!!! I have been lazy with the Isopure too.

How long will it take to heal is different for every person, but the sooner you get up and get around, the sooner you will heal (I have had 3 c-sections and a back surgery) I just walked to the bus stop and back (2 blocks) feel tired but glad I did it. I have been trying to walk a little every day.

Coughing---hand is good to use--that is what I have been doing...pillow seems awkward.

I had diarrhea today and yesterday--always fun...not. hubby gave me stew broth--not fat free. But it didn't hurt just not fun:cry . Sorry if that was too much info but i am sure that is why they say fat free. So beware.

Good luck,

Keep in touch!

Congrats! I wish you a fast recovery! Just think, this time next week you will be feeling great. I will be banded on October 19 and reading and learning from all of the bandsters.

Hi, Larry!

It is very normal to feel sore and tired...after all, you just had surgery!

I liked a low heat setting for the shoulder pain (which is caused by the gas they use to blow you up like a balloon so they can see what they are doing during the surgery). I used baby simethicone drops to help with gas pain, because you only needed a few drops to help. It was a couple of weeks before all that gas pain really subsided.

I could only drink about 2 oz. at a time at first, then 4 oz., but follow your doctor's instructions. It will be difficult. Psych up for it, and do it, because your future health and the integrity of your band depend on it! You can do it!

Congratulations on your surgery, and welcome to BANDLAND!

Any tips on how to make that better please let me know? [Move as much as possible, get up walk around

Also is heat or ice better ? I used ice yesterday and it seem to feel better today Heat seems to feel better is one better than the other am I making it worse by using heat? I don't know about that one

How long will I be this sore?i think it varies for everyone, i know the more i moved the better it got

Is it normal that I really have no desire to eat? In my experience yes, but it doesn't last so enjoy being craving free while it lasts

Trying to think of all my questions at one time so I don't bombard the board.Don't sweat it :) ask away

How do you support your self when you cough is your hand good enough or do I need a pillow? My doc gave me a pillow

FEEL BETTER SOON!!!

Hope you are feeling a little better today....time is definitely the cure-all with this. I felt pretty good by day 5 and was back at work by day 7. I didnt find much relief from either ice or heating pads, but liquid Tlyenol and lots of walking were a huge relief. Hang in there, it really does get better!

:) :car: Hello All, :cheer2:

I learned a good lesson today I never want to PB again I think is the right term I felt very naeoutous this am and had alot of gas. So I called the doctor and was told I may be trying to drink my fluids to fast so I am :flypig:drinking them off a spoon right now.:spy: Since I have been doing this all afternoon I am feeling better.

Not hungary and not ready to do a marathon or attempt one again I walked some today just not as far as yesterday.

Hope everyone is doing well

:bandit