Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Removed Yesterday

I am a frequent lurker, rare poster. However, I wanted to tell my story so others might benefit.

Got my band in April 2005. Did fabulous for about 5 months, got filled to 2 cc's. Was doing well. Had 1 (ONE) bad case of stuckage, and started having reflux after that. From then on I got on the fill, unfill bandwagon. At that point I was having constant bad reflux as well as golfball in chest and burning in throat. I got completely unfilled by December 05 and stayed that way. Continued to have reflux and golf ball.

Started going to both band surgeon and gastroenterologist (referred to by band surgeon). Thru tests, and taking about every PPI known to man, it was determined that my esophagus just wasn't working correctly. It just could not handle the pressure from the band, not even when it was empty.

During this time, it was determined that I did have a very minor slip that wasn't resolving itself. So the thought was maybe this was causing the problems. So in July 2006 I had the slip repaired. This made absolutely NO difference in the reflux and burning esophagus. At this point doc said, there's no other choice, we must remove the band.

So yesterday, my band was removed. I had a few weeks to go through the mourning period. I have lost 85 lbs and am at goal weight. However, I am not looking through rose colored glasses, I realize it will be a struggle to keep the weight off. I am feeling ok from the surgery. Very sore. I had alot of scar tissue so they had to do alot of "digging around" in there to get the band & port out. I'm glad it's all over and I get on with life. Docs think the esophagus burning and reflux will subside, although it could take several months.

What's the point in me writing this you ask? My point is that I was a very strict bandster. I followed all the rules 95 percent of the time. I chewed my food well, I didn't drink with meals, I never had a tight fill, NEVER PB'd, only had one stuckage. I did nothing wrong and I still was not able to tolerate the band. My anatomy just couldn't handle it. I don't feel like the band failed me, or that I failed the band. It just wasn't meant for me.

If this happens to anyone else, please understand that YOU didn't fail. It's just not meant for some of us. Now I'll continue to fight the battle, I am determined to keep this weight off.

Garland Mom

Banded 4/05

Unbanded 9/06

85 Lbs lost

Bless your heart! You've done such a great job! I am truly sorry you've had to go through all this and I certainly do hope you can maintain this great loss! You certainly have a headstart with the help of the band. Now, maybe you can just continue to 'think' like you still have it and maintain. Please continue to post and let us support you in this journey. Your experience is also very valuable to those of us who may follow in your footsteps. Thank you for sharing. Good luck and God bless..

Thank you so much for sharing your story, Garlandmom. It can indeed happen to anyone, without predictors or indications as to why. But thanks be that you were able to have the band removed and with luck your symptoms will resolve.

You're a new person now, with 85 lbs less of you to worry about. I'm sure that with care and mindfulness you will be able to maintain the weight loss. Please do continue to post and read, and know that you have helped some people today. :hug:

garlandmom, thanks for sharing, sorry you had to go thru all that. You have a fantastic attitute so I'm betting you are going to be fine!

Thanks for sharing this! You have a great outlook! Please don't be a stranger. This place is so full of support and we are here for you.

Garland Mom,

I was given different reflux meds to try; some worked better than others. And, I was prescribed Reglan...to move the food along. If you take that, do not be alarmed by the weird noises!

About ten weeks post-op, just as I was settling into a permanent depression that the esophageal damage would be life-long, I ran out of Reglan and the food moved anyway!! I didn't need another refill!

So, give it some time...and try to keep a positive outlook. I don't take any drugs on a daily basis except a very small dosage of my diuretic and the related potassium. (Those were originally Rx'd for edema...probably congestive heart failure-related. I started at 20mg/day--have taken 40--but I'm down to 5mg/day at this point.)

Sue

Awwww, I am so sorry about your band. I am glad that you do realize it wasn't your fault. So many times we blame ourselves for stuff like that. Please continue to let us know how you are doing. You have done an awsome job with your band. Good Luck!

Your story is certainly one that hits home. I was banded in Dec 04 and it had to removed due to improper placement later that month. I was lucky and able to be rebanded in March of 05. During the short time without my band, well, it was an emotional roller coaster.

I thougts and prayers are with you!

Thanks for sharing your story! It makes us think real hard about our self and how we care for our body. You have done a wonderful job, and a trooper you are, If you ever want to chat feel free to e-mail me as you are very strong and you did everything you could! Plus you inspire people!

wow, bummer, im glad you at least lost the weight. i hope you will be able to keep it off. i dont think i could do well without my band. i dont eat much, but i miss my pizza . sorry you had such a rough ride. good luck to you, speedy recovery and all that.

Thank you for sharing your story...I am sorry you had to have it removed. I believe that with the support of family, friends, and LBT, you can keep the weight off. Good luck with your journey.

garland mom,

thanks for sharing your story. i am sorry you had these complications and lost your band. i hope the removal solves all of your reflux and pressure issues.

i am also having esophogus issues and just hoping they dont have to remove it. did you self pay for the removal?

please keep us updated and how your and your esoph. do post banding.

michelle

Thanks for all the well wishes folks! Appreciate it! I am doing good, mostly recovered from the surgery, just a few aches and pains here and there. It's been almost 3 weeks now since removal.

For the first 2 weeks after surgery my esophagus/throat was still burning full force. I was about ready to panic thinking it didn't work taking out the band. BUT, low and behold, over the last 4-5 days, it has gotten a little better. Doc said it would take 6-8 weeks, maybe longer to get back to normal. SO... right now I am hopeful, knock on wood, it is getting better. I am almost back to eating regular foods - still on soft foods (tuna, moist dark meat chicken, etc.) but gradually adding back to regular.

My weight, at this point, is pretty stable. I am at same weight I was before removal. Exercising every day, but eating too many sweets. I'm not really interested in losing more weight, just trying to maintain. We'll see how it goes.

As far as insurance, yes, my insurance covered the removal. I was self-pay for the installation of the band, but my insurance covered the removal. I don't exactly understand the logic there - but hey, I was just glad they paid for removal!

Thanks again for the words of encouragement!