Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are You Changing The Way You Eat Before Pre-Op Diet?

I am just curious how everyone is eating and exercising before you get a surgery date or before pre-op diet. Are you just eating regularly and watching portions? are you actually dieting and trying to lose weight? are you just doing what you always did until pre-op diet starts?

This waiting is really getting to me....I don't like waiting. I am emotional and it is really stressing me out and messing with me mentally.

I am trying to make changes toward a healthier lifestyle in advance of surgery. I have another month before I can submit insurance paperwork. Am I perfect heck no. But I just get up the next day and do the best I can. I made a list of changes and I try one every week. The hardest part is not knowing if I will have it approved. So it doesn't seem real yet. Everyone has a different journey. Just spend some time thinking about how you want your journey to go. Enjoy the journey!

When I decided to move forward with surgery, I joined Weight watchers (again), After meeting with my surgeon and NUT, I altered the diet to be low carb, high Protein to prepare myself. I've been limiting portions and trying to lose the best I can. I really just wanted to be as prepared as I possibly can be. I didn't want the shock of surgery to my body on top of a completely new way of eating. That's what works for me, everyone is different. Good luck!

I'm trying to eat better and exercise. I keep wanting to eat everything I see though.

I lost 50 lbs in the 8 months before my surgery and it was the best thing I could have done! I had a huge head start and at 6 weeks out I'm down 91 lbs. I have 85 lbs more to go- but I'm so glad I made changes to make myself as healthy as I could before surgery.

I lost 50 lbs in the 8 months before my surgery and it was the best thing I could have done! I had a huge head start and at 6 weeks out I'm down 91 lbs. I have 85 lbs more to go- but I'm so glad I made changes to make myself as healthy as I could before surgery.

WOW way to go!!! now that's what I call motivation :)

I think that changing what we eat is important. But it is also important to change how we eat by training ourselves to eat slower and chew more.

I am working on portions and eating slower and chewing my food. The eating slower and chewing my food are the hardest two for me.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I've been afraid of losing too much before surgery...for a few reasons. Let me reverse a bit & say that I have been trying. It's not that I haven't been reducing solids & caloric liquids, increasing Water intake & continuing with my 6 day/wk workouts, but I haven't really gotten the scale to budge yet. Honestly, I was living off 800-1000 cal/day before I was sent to NUT (bc I wanted to move the scale, NOT bc I wanted surg) & GAINED 15# following their advice (which is what actually prompted me to "give up" on traditional dieting & research surg more). Now...I'm afraid that if I lose too much they won't approve my surg. Although, if I could figure out how to drop 50#, I'd keep going & cancel surgery. *leSigh* this really isn't something I *want* to do...I feel like it's my absolute last shot at a normal (sized) life. (& a wedding...& a baby...)

weight.png 347*294/285/135 (*347HW/294SSW)

I have been working my ass of with what my nut says and my scale won't move. I'm worried that my lack of weightless will make the nut post pone the surgery. I really wish she would just say lose five lbs before the next appointment. I almost feel like cheating and doing what worked in the post so she thinks I lost it for her. bummed

I've been exercising more and watching what I eat. I've lost a few pounds but nothing dramatic. My PCP told me I had to lose 10 lbs in 2 months and I went on a mostly liquid diet to lose those 10 lbs. I haven't been perfect doing Proteins and staying away from sugar for the past week and I've gained a pound. I need to reset and get back on my diet of lean proteins and no sugar. I'm no were near a pre op diet yet.

I didnt lose any weight seeing my NUT, I couldnt go below the BMI of 35 or else my insurance would not pay, so I sort of stayed the same. Then, I quit smoking and gained 2 pounds. Now I'm eating a ginormous amount of food, because I'm pmsing and feel like I'm not going to eat my favoraite foods for a while, so off I went on a food tangent!!! I dont have to do a pre-surgery diet just Clear Liquids the day before. I want to start eating healthy but I cant help myself....

My surgery is scheduled for mid-February and I've already started increasing my Protein intake, been experimenting with shakes and RTDs...trying to wean myself off of diet pepsi and eat slower with smaller bites. The biggest challenge I think for me after surgery will be the no drinking with or right before/after meals..I do like to "wash down" a nice size bite! Also trying to walk more before it gets too cold outside! :)

A month before my surgery I put myself on a restriction I started with Protein shake in the am and lunch and dinner. Then I started 2 Protein shakes and just dinner. I did not want to jump into the 2 week pre-op cold Turkey that would be hard.

I am doing this too. I have been on Protein Shakes for a month now for just Breakfast. I plan on moving to Breakfast and dinner about 2 weeks before pre op diet. However the week before pre op diet begins I am going to Disney World and that is a going to be my last food fest forever.