Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Daily Goals--Need Some Input, Please.

I am about 2 months out and I am not losing very much. My surgeon's office has pretty much flaked out on me. I went back to get some guidance about what I need to be eating and got "Protein is preferable, but just do the best you can." I am about to drive myself crazy over this. I weigh every day (I know--bad idea--spare the lectures please) and I am losing basically nothing. I know some people lose slower than others, but I am pretty sure I am not eating right since I really have no idea what I should be eating. I don't have a nutritionist, and the surgeon's office is zero help. I have decided to find out what I need to eat daily, follow it, and trust that the results will come. So, if anyone is willing to help me out by passing along your surgeon's suggestions about the following I would really appreciate it.....

Grams of Protein daily?

Grams of carbs daily?

Ounces of Water daily?

Daily exercise?

Number of meals daily?

Any other guidelines about living with the sleeve?

Thanks in advance!

Here is a screen shot of what I typically consume. I am 6 weeks post op. i average 500 calories a day; my NUT says i should try for 800.

post-28606-13813660262234_thumb.jpg

I eat mostly chicken, egg whites, deli turkey, greek yogurt, oatmeal, lentils, Beans, cottage cheese and some cooked veggies.

I hope that helps you...shame on your doctor!!

Just looking on Google will give you a whole lot of ideas of what to consume on Protein and calories per day. Good Luck!!!

not losing very much. went back to get some guidance about ,Dr. said do the best you can."

Hey Tex

Per your profile you've lost 38 lbs - is that mainly pre-op, or a combination of pre & post or is that 38 lbs all PO

If you lost 38 pounds since WLS you are doing great 2 months later, many people think they will loose a ton of weight in a short time period, not gonna happen

always have wondered if all sleevers have a NUT - sorry you don't, and guidance/help is unavailable.

you could try and find a bariatric surgery support group to talk to other people - i had to go to 3 meetings/ support group prior to WLS.

doesn't sound like your dr is that helpful, but maybe his office staff can direct you to a group.

you are supposed to drink as many liquids/water as possible - at least 8 glasses - 64 oz

you should have been drinking slowly at first, take your time - eventually when you can you can taker bigger sips

do not ever use a straw

do not ever drink soda, diet soda etc., anything that is carbonated

never drink while you are eating anything - meal/snack

once you are done eating - you can not drink anything for 30-45 minutes

you should stop drinking 15-30 minutes before you eat

do not graze - means do not eat throughout the day, stomach feels empty so you can eat some more, not allowed - only eat the 3 meals a day - no food in between

cut small pieces of food to eat, chew your food with a vengeance into small pieces in your mouth,chew very slowly - after food is in mouth, put silverware down, you are not in big hurry to eat

wait at least 2-3 minutes before you continue to eat

since you don't have a NUT - i would eat 3 meals a day (thats what my NUT told me) i'm not allowed Snacks

you should get at least 60g of Protein in

when you eat, you should eat Protein first, like chicken, fish, egg

Water is very very very important

did you get any of the above info?? sounds like you have been left on your own, very sorry about that

calories? - that varies with your NUT - i'm not her, but at 2 months out, i don't remember exactly, maybe i was eating 600 calories?

are you measuring your food?

at your stage per my NUT i was eating 1/3 cup volume of food, thats it

i.e. i would cook chicken, cut into small pieces and put in measuring cup - when i was 6 months i was allowed to eat 2/3 cup - WooHoo

at your early stage especially, you must measure

exercise - as much as you can -3 times a week to warm up into the routine - cardio, weights - exercise into 5x week -

that being said - do as i say not as i do

walking is great exercise too

above is just a start, hopefully others will pick up where i dropped off, or give better comments to what i wrote

come back for refresher course anytime, this is a start - hope it help

others will chime in too - write back any time

good luck

I am about 2 months out and I am not losing very much. My surgeon's office has pretty much flaked out on me. I went back to get some guidance about what I need to be eating and got "Protein is preferable' date=' but just do the best you can." I am about to drive myself crazy over this. I weigh every day (I know--bad idea--spare the lectures please) and I am losing basically nothing. I know some people lose slower than others, but I am pretty sure I am not eating right since I really have no idea what I should be eating. I don't have a nutritionist, and the surgeon's office is zero help. I have decided to find out what I need to eat daily, follow it, and trust that the results will come. So, if anyone is willing to help me out by passing along your surgeon's suggestions about the following I would really appreciate it.....

Grams of Protein daily?

Grams of carbs daily?

Ounces of Water daily?

Daily exercise?

Number of meals daily?

Thanks in advance![/quote']

I use myfitnesspal to log my daily intake. This helps tremendously to stay on track.

I was sleeved July 16th this is what I typically eat:

Turkey burger (jennie 0 lean) seasoned real good. I use Tajin. I can only eat about half in one meal setting. I grill onions w it & melt cheese on it. (weight watchers)

tuna

chicken

Fish

Shrimp

Steak(has to be tender for me to eat it)

Turkey bacon (not my favorite)

eggs

Taco salad--Refried bean, cheese, greek yogurt, taco meat

Sorry my finger slipped & hit send lol

I mix things up w my food by adding a little spinach dip to my tuna. Marinating my meat, melting cheese on it. ( using weight watchers or 50-75% reduced fat cheese), grilling/cooking veggies w my food.

I still cant eat a lot of stuff tht others can eat for some reason but i do very good w meats, so far any kind of meat.

eggs & bacon (turkey bacon or theres center cut bacon fron oscar meyer. Not something I wld do daily but every once in awhile to chng things up.)

Turkey breast lunch meat, rolled up w cheese in it.

I flucuate on my grams of carbs daily but stay under 30 grams.

Protien 40-90, if i do Protein drink I can get more Protein in.

Usually 300-600 calories daily.

Currently due to my feet I cant exercise like I should. Hope this helps.

Sorry to hear that you have been left out in the cold so to speak , I haven't had my surgery yet but thought I would let you know that Dr. Alvarez has a great book that he wrote on what to be consuming after sleeve surgery.. go to www.endobariatrics.com..... I have found it very intriguing.... hope this helps

Don't discount your local library..there are several books out on what to eat after weight loss surgery..if you wanted to own them, I love getting books off Amazon! Also agree with Buckeye_girl40!!

I am about 2 months out and I am not losing very much. My surgeon's office has pretty much flaked out on me. I went back to get some guidance about what I need to be eating and got "protein is preferable' date=' but just do the best you can." I am about to drive myself crazy over this. I weigh every day (I know--bad idea--spare the lectures please) and I am losing basically nothing. I know some people lose slower than others, but I am pretty sure I am not eating right since I really have no idea what I should be eating. I don't have a nutritionist, and the surgeon's office is zero help. I have decided to find out what I need to eat daily, follow it, and trust that the results will come. So, if anyone is willing to help me out by passing along your surgeon's suggestions about the following I would really appreciate it.....

Grams of Protein daily?

Grams of carbs daily?

Ounces of Water daily?

Daily exercise?

Number of meals daily?

Thanks in advance![/quote']

Hi Texarkolina,

So sad you're not getting support from your surgeon :-( I'm a new sleeve patient, but here is my doctor and nutritionist's dietary requirements:

Multivitamin (w/ Iron preferred) - CVS carries a generic of Centrum chewable that is very cost effective

B12 sublingual - 2500 mcg/week

Calcium citrate - 2000 mg/day

5 nourishments/day (3 meals & 2 Protein snacks)

60-80 grams protein/ day - because we can only eat such small amounts of food (2-3 ozs at a time) it is very likely we'll have to supplement with protein drinks/shakes for life. Make sure the protein supplement is a whey isolate and not a blend

64 oz Water - no drinking 1 hr before after a meal

10 grams max sugar/meal

10 grams max fat/meal

No caffeine, carbonated beverages, fried foods

Eat protein first, then veggies and if room carbs or dessert (SF Jello, SF pudding, etc)

Exercise at least 30 min/3x a week.

Hope this helps!

My doctor gave me pretty much the same directions except drinking 1/2 hr before or after meals

Hey Tex

Per your profile you've lost 38 lbs - is that mainly pre-op, or a combination of pre & post or is that 38 lbs all PO

If you lost 38 pounds since WLS you are doing great 2 months later, many people think they will loose a ton of weight in a short time period, not gonna happen

That is a combination of pre and post op. I was at 300 pounds when I started the pre-op diet. I was 286 on surgery day, and I am now 256. The majority of my weight loss was during the pre-op and 3 weeks following surgery. Since then....I am losing around a pound a week.

My doc is a little less strict than others. I don't have a number to work toward on Protein or cals. I do have to eat Protein first always. No drinking while eating.. Stay away from carbs etc. drink as much as possible. Same as everyone else. Early on 4-5 meals until you can eat a little more. I'll be 2 months on Thursday. I'm getting about 3 meals w 1 snack each day. Snack being a piece of string cheese or something healthy. Vitamins are a must. I don't have to drink Protein shakes or eat Protein Bars. My doc would rather have me eat more food than a shake.

Hope that helps some