Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just How Much Is Everyone Exercising?

I am a year out now. For the first few months I didn't do much except walking and regular daily running around. I was already losing fairly steadily and at the end of the day i didn't feel like I should add it in.

Two months ago I started weight training, following the New Rules of Lifting for Women, and I LOVE IT!!! I have had to work very hard to increase the amount I eat (I am still at 1000 cals max), focusing on Protein. I do not think I could have done this a few months ago to be honest. When I don't get my max amount of food, I can tell when I am in the gym. It just isn't as great of a workout.

I currently weight lift 3 times a week. Each exercise day is a full body workout that lasts from an hour to two hours depending on which one I am doing.

About once or twice a week I will add in some cardio, but I prefer "high intensity interval training" over just plain running/etc. Basically I jog for a few mins, then I walk, then I jog, then I walk, etc.

I have always worked out six to seven days per week and I think I will never change. 25 years military and recent military retired, this is what I have always known. So why did I need GS, because I couldn't lose the wt. after 40 years old. Anyway, I joined a gym close to my house and take a variety of classes daily (step aerobics, boot camp, body pump, and Les mills RPM and body combat to name a few. I also visit the gym on base to work out on the threadmill and lift wts twice a week with my hubby.

I just did my first 3 triathlons this past summer! Now that my season is over, I am hiking/running hills for 75 minutes 4 days a week, cycling 20-40 miles one day a week and swimming 1-2 miles one day a week. In February, I will resume training and focus on all three disciplines. For now, I am trying to focus on my weight loss and getting the last 40 lbs off. I can say that if it weren't for triathlons, I'm not sure I would have stayed as focused as I have been. I truly believe that the best way to stay on track with exercise is to have a goal (such as a race) to keep you focused and motivated!!

To the browsers that are contemplating surgery and reading this thread:

Whether you get the surgery or "take the easy way out" and lose it by conventional diets :D

you can see by the posts that exercise becomes a great deal of fun after the weight comes off. My problem is doing too much and needing an afternoon nap because of it.

Running itself is a joy, a flashback to childhood when I ran everywhere. 100 pounds took that away and fear of blowing the knees. Lifting weights is a passion, quite addictive.

I guess it's better to have to force yourself be moderate in healthy activities than bankrupting buffets. :rolleyes::lol:

I am doing a boxing class 2x a week, and walking on my treadmill 15-20 minutes 2-3x a week. I've been doing the boxing class for 3 weeks now, and while I am watching the inches disappear, my scale seems to be flipping me off. :( I am tired of hearing those around me telling me that I'm "building muscle".. 3 weeks is NOT long enough for that to happen and impact the scale. I am 4 months out and I have lost between 55-60 lbs, and I have a handful of stalls to keep me motivated. I spoke to a lap-band friend of mine last night who told me that I just need to eat. I have had a really hard time wanting to eat for the past 2 months. I'm just not hungry, and when I do eat, I feel soooo full afterwards. After talking to my friend last night, he made so much sense. His suggestion was to get the snack pack baggies and fill them up with easy to eat Snacks, fruit, nuts, cheese, lunch meat, etc. and to snack on these throughout the day. His thoughts were that because I have been eating so little, whatever I am putting in, my body is storing - which makes so much sense to me, because that's pretty much how I ended up putting up so much of my weight to begin with. I'm planning on going to the grocery store this weekend with the intention of getting the items needed to try his theory. I'm really hoping that it works too!! Please understand also that I am not looking for epic movement on the scale - maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 a pound a day would be sufficient. It's just so frustrating when you are working out and exercising and nothing is happening!!!

I'll keep you posted to let you know if the snack pack/constant eating plan works!

I am doing a boxing class 2x a week' date=' and walking on my treadmill 15-20 minutes 2-3x a week. I've been doing the boxing class for 3 weeks now, and while I am watching the inches disappear, my scale seems to be flipping me off. :( I am tired of hearing those around me telling me that I'm "building muscle".. 3 weeks is NOT long enough for that to happen and impact the scale. I am 4 months out and I have lost between 55-60 lbs, and I have a handful of stalls to keep me motivated. I spoke to a lap-band friend of mine last night who told me that I just need to eat. I have had a really hard time wanting to eat for the past 2 months. I'm just not hungry, and when I do eat, I feel soooo full afterwards. After talking to my friend last night, he made so much sense. His suggestion was to get the snack pack baggies and fill them up with easy to eat Snacks, fruit, nuts, cheese, lunch meat, etc. and to snack on these throughout the day. His thoughts were that because I have been eating so little, whatever I am putting in, my body is storing - which makes so much sense to me, because that's pretty much how I ended up putting up so much of my weight to begin with. I'm planning on going to the grocery store this weekend with the intention of getting the items needed to try his theory. I'm really hoping that it works too!! Please understand also that I am not looking for epic movement on the scale - maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 a pound a day would be sufficient. It's just so frustrating when you are working out and exercising and nothing is happening!!!

I'll keep you posted to let you know if the snack pack/constant eating plan works![/quote']

When it comes to the "starvation mode" theory, I sometimes feel it gets blamed too often when people stall. But I don't know your particulars so I have no idea in your particular case. But I say all that to say if you want to increase your calories but are having a hard time holding more food, concentrate on high calorie soft foods that are not too unhealthy. The 2 that come to mind immediately are Peanut Butter and guacamole. Both high in healthy fats, PB is also high in Protein, and both tend to slide right down making them easy to eat. Whole milk is another one.

His thoughts were that because I have been eating so little, whatever I am putting in, my body is storing

That doesn't go along with losing inches. If you are storing it, it would show up on inches. Muscle takes up less space than fat.

You have rejected the idea that muscle build up is the cause of your scale being displeasing to you.

I contend your weight loss is great and muscle build up is the cause of the numbers on the scale.< /p>

Scale numbers mean nothing, health means everything.

I advise eat healthy, Protein first, lots of Water. The bags is not a bad idea.

When it comes to the "starvation mode" theory, I sometimes feel it gets blamed too often when people stall. But I don't know your particulars so I have no idea in your particular case. But I say all that to say if you want to increase your calories but are having a hard time holding more food, concentrate on high calorie soft foods that are not too unhealthy. The 2 that come to mind immediately are Peanut Butter and guacamole. Both high in healthy fats, PB is also high in Protein, and both tend to slide right down making them easy to eat. Whole milk is another one.

Thanks - I actually do eat a fair share of Peanut Butter and avocados... (not together of course!!) LOL

My daily food menu looks a little like this:

Wake up - 1/2 cup of coffee w/half and half

Work/Breakfast - toasted whole grain (100 calorie) english muffin with reduced fat JIF peanut butter or a cup of instant cream of wheat with a tsp of butter and a tsp of honey

lunch - on workout days I usually eat a frozen breaded chicken breast stuffed with broccoli and cheese - on non-work out days I eat a turkey wrap with lettuce, Tomato, avocado/guac

dinner - black Beans w/homemade guac on a wheat tortilla, sometimes just guac and chips

Snacks - bananas, peaches, apples, peanut butter...

And that's about it... I guess I don't really feel like I'm getting the most out of what I'm eating, but I'm also not very disciplined with planning my meals and figuring out what I want, when I want it. I have been AWESOME at staying away from sweets, like cakes, Cookies, etc. I don't even think about stuff like that anymore. But - I do think if I made up some snack packs to munch on through out the day, it might kick start my already slow metabolism and help me get the best out of my work outs.

Thanks - I actually do eat a fair share of Peanut Butter and avocados... (not together of course!!) LOL

Work/Breakfast - toasted whole grain (100 calorie) english muffin with reduced fat JIF Peanut Butter or a cup of instant cream of wheat with a tsp of butter and a tsp of honey

lunch - on workout days I usually eat a frozen breaded chicken breast stuffed with broccoli and cheese - on non-work out days I eat a turkey wrap with lettuce' date=' Tomato, avocado/guac

dinner - black Beans w/homemade guac on a wheat tortilla, sometimes just guac and chips

And that's about it... I guess I don't really feel like I'm getting the most out of what I'm eating, but I'm also not very disciplined with planning my meals and figuring out what I want, when I want it. I have been AWESOME at staying away from sweets, like cakes, Cookies, etc. I don't even think about stuff like that anymore. But - I do think if I made up some snack packs to munch on through out the day, it might kick start my already slow metabolism and help me get the best out of my work outs.[/quote']

Are you using MyFitnessPal (a free app) on your phone or home computer - it will allow you to track you food and really see how much Protein, fat, and carbs you get in everything you eat. It seems like you are eating a heavy carb diet comparatively to what works for many. Some people are able to eat carbs without any problem, others... not so much. I aim for 20-30 grams of carbs per day. Also, because of the number of carbs you are eating that means less Protein. So - this is just one possibility. As I said, some folks low carb, others don't. It works for me. Something to think about.

I agree, I haven't been sleeved yet my date is 11/6 but it seems as if you need to amp up your protien. baked fish or baked chicken I be you notice a difference.

My sleeve was September 26th I'm doing 3 walks a day 1 1/2 Miles each 7 days a week.

Work/Breakfast - toasted whole grain (100 calorie) english muffin with reduced fat JIF Peanut Butter or a cup of instant cream of wheat with a tsp of butter and a tsp of honey

lunch - on workout days I usually eat a frozen breaded chicken breast stuffed with broccoli and cheese - on non-work out days I eat a turkey wrap with lettuce' date=' Tomato, avocado/guac

And that's about it... I guess I don't really feel like I'm getting the most out of what I'm eating, but I'm also not very disciplined with planning my meals and figuring out what I want, when I want it. I have been AWESOME at staying away from sweets, like cakes, Cookies, etc. I don't even think about stuff like that anymore. But - I do think if I made up some snack packs to munch on through out the day, it might kick start my already slow metabolism and help me get the best out of my work outs.[/quote']

Yep....high carbs. And even though that muffin is whole grain, it's still high on the glycemic index, meaning it causes a rise in insulin after you eat it....helping your body store fat. Also, the reduced fat PB....very high on the glycemic index. Try some PB2 instead. 1/4 of the calories, tastes just as good, less carbs.

And the chips....oh Lord don't get me started. Microwave some turkey pepperoni slices for 45 seconds, they come out like little meat flavored chips....lots of Protein. Or get some dried veggie chips as a corn chip substitute. They are basically just dehydrated vegetable slices. I get mine in the produce section of Kroger, or order them from nuts.com. Better for you than chips, but still don't go crazy with them.

I like to run again, now that this weight is working its way off me, so I do that every other day or so. I need to add more to my routine, for some upper body work though.