Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why NO caffeine?

• Caffeine triggers hypoglycemia through the activation of the sympathetic nervous system and the adrenal glands, causing an immediate and sustained constriction of blood vessels, decreased circulation to the brain and a heightened feeling of low blood sugar.<SUP>29</SUP> The body’s reaction to hypoglycemia results in food cravings and increased appetite. People often crave higher fat foods resulting in increased caloric intake, further interfering with the body’s ability to maintain a healthy weight.<SUP>30, 31 </SUP>

This is for sure true in my case. I was just talking to my Dr. about this yesterday.

I went to the nutrition meeting yesterday at my doctors office and asked about the no caffeine. The nutritionist told me not during my first 2 weeks post op but it would be ok after that. I wish they would make up their minds. Their food list shows it as a no no when they hadn you information at your first appointment with the Doctor.

Thank you everyone for all your information. :)

The nutritionist persuaded me to give up coffee for several of the reasons already listed, and I did so for a few weeks post-op, with no apparent benefit. So now I'm back to a cup or two a day, certainly not an excessive amount. I'm just not into keeping myself in a state of constant self-denial. In fact that has never worked for me in the past, and I inevitably succumbed to eating things I REALLY shouldn't. I mean, I've already changed my eating habits significantly by giving up so many foods I used to love but which are clearly the enemy of weight loss. Coffee, on the other hand, has ZERO calories; it makes me feel good, perks me up a bit; it tastes warm, rich and comforting; it has no apparent ill effects on me; it does not keep me awake at night; it does not upset my stomach. Sorry, but I'm going to keep on drinking it no matter what the food nazis say.

The band is on the outside of the stomach...how is anything inside the stomach going to eat at it? :confused2:

I am ten days caffeine free!

It was in my pre op instructions that it was not recommended after surgery, so I figured I might as well get it done. I was very caffeine dependant, so it was pretty hard the first two or three days.....no problem now.

I am going to the doctor today for my last pre op and I will ask about the caffeine issue!

I gave up caffeine several months before deciding to have the surgery. I was such and addict that I had Migraines without it.

My surgeon doesn't forbid it. I do have it occasionally, but no longer drink 8 - 12 diet pepsis per day.

The soda is something I'm only supposed to have rarely, but the caffeine isn't considered an issue.

I was just not allowed for 2 weeks post op. I weaned myself off of it before surgery, but then I started back on that 14th day. lol

I stopped caffeine one week prior to my 2/13 surgery. I was drinking abut 2 cups coffee per day, but about 2 gallons of iced tea!!! For one week I had a throbbing headache, was lethargic and wanted to barf!

Now that I'm out of the woods, can't imagine going back....It's Water, Water and more water for me. Another upside is now my 11 yr. old son is drinking a ton of water with me!

Marie

taken from: Caffine and Weight Loss / Caffeine Effects on Weight Loss / Caffeine and Diet

The following characteristics of coffee have an adverse effect on weight loss:

• Coffee Elevates Stress Hormones
    • Caffeine in coffee elevates the stress hormones cortisol, epinephrine (also known as adrenaline) and norepinephrine.<SUP>8, 9, 10, 11</SUP> These hormones are responsible for increased heart rate and blood pressure, and a sense of "emergency alert". Circulation of oxygen to the brain and extremities is decreased and the immune system is suppressed.
    • The purpose of this "fight or flight" response is to provide the body with a temporary energy boost for intense physical activity. With today’s sedentary lifestyle, the continual state of increased stress resulting from caffeine consumption can negatively affect weight control through disruptions in normal metabolism.

[*]Increased Cortisol Levels Lead to Abdominal Obesity

• Chronically elevated blood cortisol levels that are caused by frequent stress or regular caffeine or coffee intake lead to an increased buildup of fat in the abdominal area; this type of weight gain further stimulates the release of additional stress hormones.<SUP>12</SUP>

[*]Increased Stress Leads to Overeating

• This chronic state of increased stress caused by caffeine is associated with a markedly increased tendency to overeat. CNS stimulants stimulate anxiety and caffeine consumption increases the tendency of people to overeat or binge-eat and abuse laxatives and diet pills.<SUP>13, 14</SUP>
    • Coffee drinking increases physiological measurements of stress, and although this effect is greater with increased caffeine levels, decaffeinated coffee may also influence stress as factors other than caffeine in coffee are associated with stress.<SUP>15</SUP>
    • Elevation of stress hormones leads to fat cravings.<SUP>16</SUP>
    • Elevated levels of cortisol increase appetite.<SUP>17</SUP>

[*]Caffeine Exacerbates Insulin Resistance Syndrome

• Caffine ingestion contributes to insulin resistance and impairs glucose and insulin homeostasis as part of the stress response.<SUP>18, 19</SUP> Even moderate amounts of coffee can have this effect.<SUP>20</SUP>
    • Obesity, high blood pressure, impaired glucose metabolism and elevated LDL and lowered HDL blood lipids cluster to generate insulin resistance syndrome. Stress and the release of corticosteroids contribute to the pathogenesis of this syndrome. When people with this syndrome drink coffee as a weight-loss aid, it negatively affects all the conditions associated with this syndrome. <SUP>21, 22</SUP>
    • Drinking coffee can cause insomnia and sleep deprivation, both of which have been found to increase insulin resistance.<SUP>23</SUP> People who are deprived of adequate deep sleep, and are in situations of sleep debt have lower levels of glucose tolerance, greater insulin resistance, increased concentrations of blood cortisol and stimulation of the sympathetic nervous system.<SUP>24, 25</SUP>

[*]Caffeine Stimulates Appetite

• Although caffeine is included as an ingredient in many weight-loss aids, it actually stimulates appetite, and organizations including the mayo Clinic<SUP>26</SUP> discourage the use of caffeine as a weight-loss aid. Initially, caffeine may decrease appetite through its central nervous system response. However, subsequently caffeine increases cortisol levels, and higher levels of cortisol stimulate appetite.<SUP>27, 28</SUP>
    • Caffeine triggers hypoglycemia through the activation of the sympathetic nervous system and the adrenal glands, causing an immediate and sustained constriction of blood vessels, decreased circulation to the brain and a heightened feeling of low blood sugar.<SUP>29</SUP> The body’s reaction to hypoglycemia results in food cravings and increased appetite. People often crave higher fat foods resulting in increased caloric intake, further interfering with the body’s ability to maintain a healthy weight.<SUP>30, 31</SUP>

[*]Coffee Increases Serum Cholesterol Levels

• Lipid metabolism is an important factor in weight loss, and drinking cofee is linked to higher levels of serum cholesterol, with particularly high levels noted in people who drink boiled coffee or coffee processed at high temperatures (which includes espress and espresso drinks).<SUP>32, 33</SUP> Other forms of coffee including decaffeinated coffee have also been shown to increase serum cholesterol levels.<SUP>34, 35</SUP> Coffee drinking also demonstrably raises blood levels of low density lipoproteins in one lipid research study<SUP>36</SUP>, although results in other studies are inconclusive.

[*]Caffeine Interferes with GABA Metabolism

• GABA (Gamma-aminobutyric acid) is a neurotransmitter naturally produced in the brain and nervous system as well as the heart. It plays an important role in mood and stress management and influences a persons sense of well-being.
    • Caffeine has been found to interfere with binding of GABA to GABA receptors, preventing it from performing its calming function.<SUP>37</SUP> GABA’s role in stress management is compromised in the presence of caffeine, and increased physiological and psychological stress lead to overeating as well as difficulties losing weight.

Can we make this post a permanent source of info in Diet & Nutrition or a "sticky" or something? It sure does answer a lot of questions about why some docs/dieticians say to reduce or eliminate caffeine consumption.

I'd also really to hear how folks quit the caffeine habit? :( I'm hooked and need some advice.