Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Spivak Port Placement

I'm preband and considering becoming a possible self-pay patient with Dr. Spivak.

I would like to know where Dr. Spivak placed your port, his rationale for port placement, and whether you have a low profile port. Also, if you have lost a substantial amount of weight, please tell me whether your port is visible based on the placement location.

I am a patient of Dr. Spivak's and my port is about width of my hand under my bra. I can feel it but I forget it's even there. Really the only time I notice it is when I am getting clothes out of the bottom of the washing machine. Other than that, I don't notice it. I don't think it's a low profile port, it does seem kinda big, but then I did weigh 294 when I had the surgery. I am currently 169 as of this morning. I had my surgery at Herman Hospital but I get my fills at the Surgical Center on Main Street. I will have my one year anniversary on Oct. 12th and I have lost 125 pounds. I went from January 26th to September 25 on my third fill and got the fourth only to get me to goal. They are wonderful at the Surgical Center, you would love the professionalism there.

Randi,

My doctor is not Dr. Spivak but I just had a port replacement in August.

Originally my port was placed right at my waist band and I had the original one put in. They try to figure out probably where your waist is but with the weight we have on us it is hard to place it properly.

I lost 110 lbs and because of the loss my port was sticking out pretty much and it was bothering me because it hit right where the waist band of all my pants were hitting and it bothered me alot especially if my waist band moved and rubbed on the port to go under it.

I asked my doctor for the low profile port and to move it above my waist band so it wouldn't be in the way of my pants in which it is but the damn thing is still sticking out. I asked him if it will always stick out and he said it probably would because of how thin I am. So, it has it's ups and it's downs.

If you are true into getting the band put in and losing all the weight you need to then I would still recommend the low profile port. It is a bit more expensive but in the long run it will be better for you. It won't stick out as much as the regular one. Be sure he places it though below your waist band. The only disadvantage to the low profile, if you need a fill they may have to stick you a few times to get the solution into the right place. I have never had a fill so I don't know how that procedure goes.

Good luck to you!

Josephine

251/139

Nov. 10, 2005

No Fills

My port is 3 or so inches below my bra line. It doesn't bother me there at all. I am not sure why he puts it there, but I can't think of a better place:)

Good Luck to you!

My port is about 3 to 4 inches below my bra line as well. I'm so happy to have it here. I do have a low profile port. When asking to receive a low profile port, Dr. Spivak said he wouldn't know if I was an initial canidiate until he could see how deep the fat layer is where he places the port. He said if it's a thick layer it's better to place the regular port deeper. Well, I do not have a lot of fat where he places the port so I knew going in I would come out with the low profile port. I also read it in my post-op report so I know it's there. I can fell my port only if I push really deep to find it. I mostly just feel scar tissue.

Melissa Lea

Does it make a difference where your port goes if you know before hand your going to have a Tummy Tuck ?

Randi,

Originally my port was placed right at my waist band and I had the original one put in. They try to figure out probably where your waist is but with the weight we have on us it is hard to place it properly.

I lost 110 lbs and because of the loss my port was sticking out pretty much and it was bothering me because it hit right where the waist band of all my pants were hitting and it bothered me alot especially if my waist band moved and rubbed on the port to go under it.

I asked my doctor for the low profile port and to move it above my waist band so it wouldn't be in the way of my pants in which it is but the damn thing is still sticking out. I asked him if it will always stick out and he said it probably would because of how thin I am. So, it has it's ups and it's downs.

If you are true into getting the band put in and losing all the weight you need to then I would still recommend the low profile port. It is a bit more expensive but in the long run it will be better for you. It won't stick out as much as the regular one. Be sure he places it though below your waist band. The only disadvantage to the low profile, if you need a fill they may have to stick you a few times to get the solution into the right place. I have never had a fill so I don't know how that procedure goes.

Good luck to you!

Josephine

251/139

Nov. 10, 2005

No Fills

Josephine,

You've NEVER had a fill?! That's absolutely amazing. I would sure like to know how you've accomplished that amazing feat.

Randi, I was banded by Dr. Spivak in May. My low profile port was placed right at the band of my bra and was so irritating (sore) I wore a huge bandaid over it. Dr. Spivak told me it would get better as I lost weight. I was a 40DD at surgery and now a 38DD-so not that big of a change, but enough of a flatter stomach to make it feel better. I don't have any problems with it now. I really feel it at night(back sleeper) and my husband tries to cuddle with one arm over that area, but that bugs me, so he has adapted.

I haven't gotten banded so I am trying to figure out the talk. What is a port? I am sorry if I sound ignorant but I am trying to learn about this. I am going to go see Dr. Spyvik. I faxed him my paperwork and he said I was a good candidate so if I decide to do this I want to make sure I make the best decisions. Also, once our goal weight is lost, do we have surgery again to take off the band?

I haven't gotten banded so I am trying to figure out the talk. What is a port? I am sorry if I sound ignorant but I am trying to learn about this. I am going to go see Dr. Spyvik. I faxed him my paperwork and he said I was a good candidate so if I decide to do this I want to make sure I make the best decisions. Also, once our goal weight is lost, do we have surgery again to take off the band?

Confused,

The lapband consists of three components -- silicone band, tubing, and port. These three components comprise what is referred to as the "lapband system." This entire system is implanted into the stomach cavity; the silicone band is placed at the top part of the stomach to form a small pouch, the tubing connects the silicone band to the port, and the port is sutured to the stomach muscle.

Once the band is in place and approximately 4 to 6 weeks after surgery, the doctor/surgeon will use a syringe filled with saline to access the implanted port and initiate a fill. The lapband system is a PERMANENT implant and is not removed unless you have psychological or medical issues that require band removal.

Dr. spivak placed my port 3in from by bra band. It has not caused any discomfort there eventhough I'm large chested. I am not sure which type of port I have but you can feel it when you press down on the area. As far as his reason to place the port there was because it is least likely to cause discomfort according to whan he told me. I would however recomend that when you go to the office wear the bra us usually would normally wear everyday that way he will have an idea of where to place the port and prevent it from being in the way of your bra band.

dr spivak did my lap band. i am going in tomorrow for my first fill. and to answer your question about where my port is, i will have to get back to you tommorrow, i swear i have no idea:confused: . i do know that it is a low profile but that is it. also could someone tell me what to expect when i get my fill i am a little nervous about it:nervous

To let you know what to expect, a little poke with a small needle right in to the port and they will tape the attached tubing with a suringe to your belly. Then they put you in front of the exray machine (standing upright) and have you swallow a small amount of barium while they inject the saline into the band. This is just to make sure they don't tighten it too tight. It's very simple, in fact, the last fill I had they put a little novicane under the skin to deaden the area so I wouldn't even feel the needle. I didn't have that with my first three fills and I was fine. However, it seems that after being poked there several times kind of makes the skin a little tough. Don't worry, it's over before you know it.

Hey Josephine

I got my lapband in sep. and I haven't got any fill yet. Can I ask you how many meals you are eating , and if you are having some Snacks during the day. I'am doing fine witout the fill, but I do have some fruit and crakers between my meals.

Randi,

Good luck to you!

Josephine

251/139

Nov. 10, 2005

No Fills

I Would Like To Know If Having The Port Under The Bra Line Does It Hurt Are Feel Funny,also I Would Like To Know Do You Think That My Ins Will Pay For It I Have Bcbs And Weigh 240lbs And Iam 5'2 Thank You For The Time