Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well I am finally banded....

I had my surgery at 8:45am and was home at 2pm. Everything went will. The gas is making me so uncomfotable I cant lay down so tonight will be a night for the recliner. My husband got me some gas X about 3 hours ago and I have let out a few belches since them which gives me minor relife until it builds again. I can hear the gas moving thru my whole abdomen.

I am taking the Tylenol #3 with codein. It helps but makes me sleepy and so I have been snoozing on and off in the recliner most of the time I have been home. Hoping that the gas keeps moving and morning will bring some comfort. I have walked around the house today a little but I have been so out of it that sleep has won over most of the time. I only sleep 3 hours last night so I think that is why the meds have hit me so much. I take Vicoden, Flexaril and a sleeping pill at night and it does not make me this exhausted. I tried the heating pad but it made my incisions hurt worse and did not do anything for the gas pains.

I woke up with 6 incissions which confused me because I thought I was going to have 5. I can tell where my port is because when I woke up from surgery I felt like it was on fire and was pounding. The nurse told me it was where the port is plus my icission is about 2 inches long there.

I felt like a wimp because I started crying and just wanted my family. They had a women with Cancer back in recovery so they did not want any family coming in until I got back into day surgery. After they switched from Morphine to Demerol my pained got ok enough for me to rest and get a grip.

I am not having any problem with nause or vomiting now. I got a shot to help with nausea because when my pain was a 10 on the scale of 1-10 I thought I was going to get sick.

I see the Dr on next Friday and he will remove my sutures. I have sutures in all my incissions because I am allergic to paper tape and steri strips.

Anyways I need to go to the bathroom and try to walk around a little before bed.

Hope everyone else is having less pain/gas.

Congrats!

I slept in a recliner my first night home too. I was afraid to lay down.:) Hey don't feel like a wimp for wanting your family. I felt like crying too when I woke up. I couldnt' wait for them to go get mine. I was so happy to see my daddy and felt so miserable that I held his hand until they made me get up. :)

You'll do great, I know it.

I am glad to see that I am not the only one who whated their Daddy. I dont know who was going to cry more when he finally had his chance to come in to see me, Me or Him. I have been married for 13 yrs and he is the one person I always want when I am not doing well. He is my rock...

sleeping in the recliner is not so bad with the meds they gave me. I will make it and then maybe tomorrow my bed will see more appealing to me.

Constipation should not be a problem with me because I have irritable bowel syndrome and have had the runs since finding out 2 weeks ago that I was having it done yesterday.

My concern is for the gas pain to stop long enough for me to be able to sleep. My husband is taking care of my girls tomorrow so I can sleep hopefully.

It is 4am here in Maine and sleep is not working right now because of these stupid gas pains. I am going to take some pain meds soon since it has been 4 hours and see if maybe I can get some sleep.

Anyways I know this will pass I just wish it was sooner then later....

Congratulations Shell! I hope you're able to get some good sleep today. I was banded on the same day as you, so we're going through this together.

If I can offer some advice, you might be interested in trying a cold compress on your incisions. I've been keeping ice packs on and off for 15 mintue intervals and it keeps the swelling down and pain diminished somewhat.

Wishing you a comfortable recovery!!~~~~

I am glad to report that it has gotten a little better each day. Today I am feeling more optomistic then in the past 2 days. Yesterday I had 5 sips of Soup and then 1 hr later me 9 yr old made me some pudding not realizing it was too soon. She was trying to take care of me. Anyways I said I would take a lick of her pudding. Bad mistake....Almost instantly I started dry heaving. I dont think it was the pudding because it happened the second it hit my tounge. But she felt so bad. I told her today she is my offical pudding maker once I feel up to it. That made her happier.

My port area is still wicked sore and cold compresses make the pain so much worse. I have found my recliner to be the most comfortable place. I took a shower today and that was ok.

I am feeling more uncomfortable this evening but I know evening is always worse. Plus it still is not as bad a the past 2 days had been.

One thing is that I have had the runs for the past 24hrs. I guess the Constipation wont be a problem from the pain meds.

THanks for all of the support and encouragment.

Congrats on entering bandland! I am sorry to hear you're having such a time of it with the gas. I, fortunately, didn't have that problem. It will get better...We're all here for you :confused:

I am scared now. I'm due to be banded in 4 days and I didn't have any clue that the Gas pains could be that bad. I've prepared myself though.

I just went out and got 2 boxes of Gas-X strip, heating pad, Neosporin +Pain ointment, Gauze etc.....

I want to help my pain and scars anyway I can.

Is it true that some people get minimal gas?? Or does everyone

suffer this bad?

Congrats on entering bandland! I had mine done on Feb 1st and so far I love it I do wish the dr would give me another fill though. The gas pains do get better in time walking helps a lot too.

Lapoli7 please do not use neosporin unless the dr's tell you too. It can actually trap infection and you could end up with a lot more pain than you bargained for. If you take the prescriptions the dr gives you for a couple of days you will be fine and the pain will fade after a day or two. The scar pain was minimal. Just make sure to get up and walk often.

Wow, Thanks for that advise. Who would have thought that it could do more damage then good. I will be sure to ask my Dr.

You probably just saved me from a nasty infection :) .