Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling All Patients Of Dr's Ponce, Lopez, Kelly, Garcia And Ortiz...

Trying to narrow it down, so please share any info you can...the good, the bad, and the ugly.....

I have yet to be sleeved by Dr. Kelly, so this is just my experience so far.

1. Every time I emailed Omar or called Dr. Kelly, I received an answer within.minutes.

2. I know Dr Kelly has had a death and that there is a lot if speculation on what happened. He also has had a leak and there's some issue with him not taking responsibility..that being said, I still chose him. I had horrible complications from an emergency gall bladder removal and the surgeon and hospital was so bad, I actually filled a formal complaint with a few medical boards. I also has ovarian cysts removed at another hospital in which the surgeon messed up the inner stitches and I have tearing pain if I sneeze or move wrong. This may sound terrible, but accidents happen and while I don't wish complications on anyone, I can only hope the person learned from their mistake.

3. It was important to me that I be in a hospital with an ICU

4. It's a gut feeling. Just because he's right for me does not make him the best choice for you.

5. All of these surgeons are excellent and I imagine are not out to intentionally hurt anyone but they are human. Plus bad experiences lead to less business for them.

6. I didn't want a coordinator because I didn't want any he said.she said .

Sorry for the length. Again these are just my personal opinions and someone may disagree with every statement I made but I think everyone will tell you to go with your gut instinct.

I had Dr. Ponce on May 23. I had no problems. The patient coordinator, Trish is the best. I'm still in contact with her and give her update. She has a vary active Facebook page. The hospital is OK and by the way. It's not in a shopping center. If you have specific question send me or O.T.R. Sleever a message.

Use the search and type " Dr Garcia" there are several experiences posted. Same with all the other docs....

I am sxd with Dr Garcia in October....youll find more reviews /experiences with him recently because he's offeringng a special. I've only read one negative re:any Mexico doc and it was not the tbe surgery or surgeon.

happy searching!

I am scheduled with Dr Ponce this Friday the 14th and I'll let ya know all about it as soon as I wake up from anesthesia! :) I've heard lots of great things about all of the surgeons you mentioned... I finally decided that this was something I was just gonna have to do lots of research on and then went with my gut feeling.. also make sure you go to obesityhelp.com and search the docs names there too! there is a wealth of information out there, even some videos on YouTube ;)

I am going to be sleeved by Ortiz today. Smooth sailing so far. I am in the Marriott in TJ and have met some other patients. I will keep you posted on how things go when I am able to. Fingers crossed that my surgery is first and quick! I am going between being excited and terried. Part of it is because I did not tell anyone I was having surgery. More details to come....

I am going to be sleeved by Ortiz today. Smooth sailing so far. I am in the Marriott in TJ and have met some other patients. I will keep you posted on how things go when I am able to. Fingers crossed that my surgery is first and quick! I am going between being excited and terried. Part of it is because I did not tell anyone I was having surgery. More details to come....

Awesome! Best of luck to you!! I am sending positive vibes your way! Praying for a speedy recovery :) pls keep me posted!

Congrats on your decision!! I just had my surgery on April 16th with Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana and I feel fabulous!! His center is called Obesity Control Center and it's a state of the art facility that has been given the honor of being an "International Center of Excellence". He's been featured on Oprah, The Doctors and has even been named one of the top 15 Bariatric surgeons by Newsweek Magazine. When I first started researching WLS it was 7-8 years ago but the timing just wasn't right with work, personal relationships, etc.... I finally started to research again and after looking at other Doctors in Mexico (I'm was self pay too) I went right back to Dr. Ortiz. There are other surgeons to choose from and I implore you to do your research and due diligence before making your final selection. When choosing a surgeon you should focus on experience, facility, comfort for you and any guests, etc... and not just on price. I paid $6995 and that included all transportation from San Diego, 4 nights hotel stay at the Marriott in Tijuana for my mother and transportation back to San Diego. There are 6 private suites in his center that are very comfortable and you even have your own Direct TV.....PLUS you are surrounded by nothing but folks just like YOU and not in a hospital where God knows what types of diseases, infections, etc... are present. That was a HUGE deal for me. Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez speak perfect English and have an incredible bedside manner. My surgery was on Monday morning and I was discharged on Tuesday around noon. I was back at the hotel laying by the pool and getting some sun and on day 3 I was out shopping for 3-4 hours. Dr. Ortiz has an agreement with the Marriott and they will bring you broth, popsicles, etc.. all included in your price. Your guest (if you bring one) will be very well taken care of.

I honestly believe that a good pre-op diet accompanied by a positive attitude truly helped me come out of this surgery with flying colors. A lot of this journey, especially in the beginning is all mental. Once you decide on a surgeon get into a ZONE and stay there!! Reach out for support (the forums are great) and find folks that are getting their surgeries around the same time. It really does help!

I am definitely an advocate for Dr. Ortiz and Obesity Control Center... He has changed my life and I will be forever grateful! His website www.obesitycontrolcenter.com is very informative and he even has his own YouTube channel where you can watch videos of testimonials, surgeries. etc...

You are going to get a lot of responses from others promoting other surgeons.. Everyone's experience is different so be prepared to research, research RESEARCH!!!!

Feel free to contact me directly if you have any other questions!!

All The Best!!!

Emily

Hi,

I was sleeved by dr. Ponce de leon on may 23rd, a couple hours after Candyman was. I really don't know what to say about the experience. It was so much easier than I thought it would be, I have nothing bad to say, never experienced any pain at all. Had a bit of nausea immediately after surgery, but that only lasted a few minutes (till I.V. drugs kicked in) the staff at the INT is very attentive.

Trish is a heaven sent. She definately goes above & beyond as a coordinator.

I got off the plan yesterady around 6pm. The driver picked me up and gave me an overview of what the schedule was for the following day. Normally, they have the patients watch DVD during the ride to cross the border but I sat in the front seat, so he just gave me the details!

I checked in to Marrott and staff was very nice. I took an Ambien around 10pm because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to sleep. It did its magic and I as up at 6am. After a quick shower I met the other patients in the lobby around 6:45. We (there were a few other people having surgery, too. One patient went to Dr Garcia. There are 3 of us having surgery with Ortiz. We arrived and everything went smoothly. Blood draws, ECG, consult with nutritionist and Dr. Ortiz and Martinez. All of my questions were answered and I was really at ease.

There was only one things that really bothered me - the nurse started pumping meds into my IV before I was finished asking all my questions. It was not that big of a deal, just annoyed me.

Into the OR - as soon as I moved to the operating table I began to cry. The anesthesiologist was so nice and concerned, as was the nurse. However, before i knew it, I was out. Then I woke up with no pain at all so I asked the nurse if they did the surgery! I do have a drain, which doesn't bother me, but know that after a few days it will be a pain.

I have been fading in and out of sleep all day and have been up twice to go to the bathroom. Both good signs! I do have pain when I am trying to get out of bed. I am sure this will change when the IV meds start to wear off.

I was told my surgery lasted about an hour - I have had a previous abdominal surgery so there was concern that I would have adhesions from that - but all went well. Dr Martinez came by to talk to me first and them Dr Ortiz came by. Both very easy on the eyes! I work in a large academic hospital so I am very familiar with bedside manners - the Drs here are fantastic.

I will keep you posted!

I got off the plan yesterady around 6pm. The driver picked me up and gave me an overview of what the schedule was for the following day. Normally' date=' they have the patients watch DVD during the ride to cross the border but I sat in the front seat, so he just gave me the details!

I checked in to Marrott and staff was very nice. I took an Ambien around 10pm because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to sleep. It did its magic and I as up at 6am. After a quick shower I met the other patients in the lobby around 6:45. We (there were a few other people having surgery, too. One patient went to Dr Garcia. There are 3 of us having surgery with Ortiz. We arrived and everything went smoothly. Blood draws, ECG, consult with nutritionist and Dr. Ortiz and Martinez. All of my questions were answered and I was really at ease.

There was only one things that really bothered me - the nurse started pumping meds into my IV before I was finished asking all my questions. It was not that big of a deal, just annoyed me.

Into the OR - as soon as I moved to the operating table I began to cry. The anesthesiologist was so nice and concerned, as was the nurse. However, before i knew it, I was out. Then I woke up with no pain at all so I asked the nurse if they did the surgery! I do have a drain, which doesn't bother me, but know that after a few days it will be a pain.

I have been fading in and out of sleep all day and have been up twice to go to the bathroom. Both good signs! I do have pain when I am trying to get out of bed. I am sure this will change when the IV meds start to wear off.

I was told my surgery lasted about an hour - I have had a previous abdominal surgery so there was concern that I would have adhesions from that - but all went well. Dr Martinez came by to talk to me first and them Dr Ortiz came by. Both very easy on the eyes! I work in a large academic hospital so I am very familiar with bedside manners - the Drs here are fantastic.

I will keep you posted![/quote']

So glad to hear that things went and are going so smoothly!

Awww poor thing about the crying (i may do the same lol) but I am happy that the doctor comforted you. Thanks for being so detailed so soon. I spoke with Dr. Ponce's coordinator (she was a sweetie) but I also would like to speak to Dr. Ortiz's coordinator as well.

Hope your having a restful evening and hope each day gets easier!! Can't wait to hear your posts! :)

Congrats on your decision!! I just had my surgery on April 16th with Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana and I feel fabulous!! His center is called Obesity Control Center and it's a state of the art facility that has been given the honor of being an "International Center of Excellence". He's been featured on Oprah' date=' The Doctors and has even been named one of the top 15 Bariatric surgeons by Newsweek Magazine. When I first started researching WLS it was 7-8 years ago but the timing just wasn't right with work, personal relationships, etc.... I finally started to research again and after looking at other Doctors in Mexico (I'm was self pay too) I went right back to Dr. Ortiz. There are other surgeons to choose from and I implore you to do your research and due diligence before making your final selection. When choosing a surgeon you should focus on experience, facility, comfort for you and any guests, etc... and not just on price. I paid 6995 and that included all transportation from San Diego, 4 nights hotel stay at the Marriott in Tijuana for my mother and transportation back to San Diego. There are 6 private suites in his center that are very comfortable and you even have your own Direct TV.....PLUS you are surrounded by nothing but folks just like YOU and not in a hospital where God knows what types of diseases, infections, etc... are present. That was a HUGE deal for me. Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez speak perfect English and have an incredible bedside manner. My surgery was on Monday morning and I was discharged on Tuesday around noon. I was back at the hotel laying by the pool and getting some sun and on day 3 I was out shopping for 3-4 hours. Dr. Ortiz has an agreement with the Marriott and they will bring you broth, popsicles, etc.. all included in your price. Your guest (if you bring one) will be very well taken care of.

I honestly believe that a good pre-op diet accompanied by a positive attitude truly helped me come out of this surgery with flying colors. A lot of this journey, especially in the beginning is all mental. Once you decide on a surgeon get into a ZONE and stay there!! Reach out for support (the forums are great) and find folks that are getting their surgeries around the same time. It really does help!

I am definitely an advocate for Dr. Ortiz and Obesity Control Center... He has changed my life and I will be forever grateful! His website www.obesitycontrolcenter.com is very informative and he even has his own YouTube channel where you can watch videos of testimonials, surgeries. etc...

You are going to get a lot of responses from others promoting other surgeons.. Everyone's experience is different so be prepared to research, research RESEARCH!!!!

Feel free to contact me directly if you have any other questions!!

All The Best!!!

Emily

[/quote']

Thank you for the detailed response! :)

I am about to go on his website now.

So glad to hear that things went and are going so smoothly!

Awww poor thing about the crying (i may do the same lol) but I am happy that the doctor comforted you. Thanks for being so detailed so soon. I spoke with Dr. Ponce's coordinator (she was a sweetie) but I also would like to speak to Dr. Ortiz's coordinator as well.

Hope your having a restful evening and hope each day gets easier!! Can't wait to hear your posts! :)

I recommend that you talk to Lori Wrights who is a coordinator with Dr. Ortiz's office. Lori was my coordinator and she is a patient as well. She had the band and opted for revision surgery to the sleeve. Her surgery was the same day as mine... April 16th.. She is a wealth of knowledge as well as a good friend and will answer any questions that you may have.

All the best!!!! Emily

I will second the advice to speak to Lori. She was great especially in the days leading up to my surgery. She is very good about returning emails and phone calls even for the silliest question!

I had a great experience at Obesity Control Center - I have posted more details about my experience on the "tell your story" forum - just search 9/10/12 and it should pop up.

Good luck with what you decide - but I can't say enough good things about my experience.