Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The dreaded protein shakes and bars

Hey all,

Sooo I reckon I may have to go back to having a Protein Shake and maybe One Bar a day because I'm not getting much food down since my fill. I went on Friday and then stayed on liquids until Saturday night but pretty much the first thing I ate came up. chicken got stuck, a piece of sub got stuck...and any bread item since then as well as chicken pizza last night. Some of the sticking episodes were soooooo bad that I was crying and it really scared me so now I've been eating oatmeal and Soup. I'm totally fine with giving up all the bread stuff...just worried that I'm lacking Protein and other nutrients. I've felt totally wiped the last couple of days and I think it's from lack of food....LOL....never woulda thought I would hear myself say that.

Anyways...I guess maybe the shake and bar might be a good idea...that will give me 30 grams...plus I know that not eating enough isn't helping take the weight off and it's definitely getting depressing to know I've only lost 12 pounds since surgery 2 months ago...gotta do something.

Okay going now....have a good day all.

chicken got stuck, a piece of sub got stuck...and any bread item since then as well as chicken pizza last night.

Subs? Bread? pizza? These are NOT band friendly foods! Most of us would barf our heads off if we tried to eat that stuff. And there's not much Protein in them, either.

For a few days following a fill, stick to Soups made with fat-free milk or put protein-rich Soups, stews, etc thru the blender.

Then move on to soft and regular foods, but use common sense. Fat free cottage cheese is good, and if tolerated, flaky fish. Chili (homemade is best) is full of Protein. For Breakfast I often have crisp bacon. Oatmeal gums up my stoma and isn't a good protein source, anyway.

I eat tuna for lunch sometimes, straight out of the little tin foil envelope. Low fat cheese or Peanut Butter on crackers works for me, too.

I used to be the queen of carbs, pre-band. I had a life-long love affair with bread. Now it's a non-issue because I physically can't eat it. And that's a GOOD thing.

Time2live .don.t worry about losing only 12 lbs. You are still doing good. These 2 months was for healing and what you lost is a bonus. Yes it would be a good idea to get Protein Shakes in.You might need a defill also. It is very painful to have the golfball feeling as you described. i get that too. Makesure you really chew chew chew. and small bites.

From what I read on the main site about fills it seems that it is best to treat that post-fill period kinda like that post-op period. This means taking it easy on your stomach. Perhaps Soups and mushies are a good way to go, and they are less "embiggening," as Homer would say. But don't get discouraged, Time2, remember that you are in this for the long haul and over the short haul we will all have our ups and downs.

I didn't llike any of the shakes, they were gritty tasting to me. I've used High Protein Ensure...Chocolate is the best, for me anyway. My family and friends have also tried them and like them also. Even the GKids like the chocolate. Give them a try and maybe they will help you. I agree though with the types of food your trying to eat. Ease off on that stuff and stay on the path to good health. I wish you good luck in this transitional phase. Hang in there! We're all here for you. :)

Yes it is unflavoured.No it is not gritty.It says not to put it in hot Soups as it goes a bit lumpy.I put it in pudding and juice. I was leary on ordering it but it is good .Hubby likes it too. We have ordered it 3x so far.

Ooooh, I'm excited!

I actually bought a single 'can' of Ensure the other day, but haven't tried it yet. It's only 13g of Protein and like 300 calories!

I tried a chocolate ensure the other day. I found it tinny tasteing, and a gross after taste. I had it at room tempurature, it probably tastes better when its chilled.

Did your doctor not give you any eating guidelines? Sounds like you need some help choosing healthy foods. You might want to go to

www.bariatriceating.com and look at the pinned topics at the top of the message board....also the 'way to eat' forum. They are extremely helpful and accurate.

Also, some of the so-called Protein drinks on the grocery store shelves and even the health food stores are for body builders, athletes. We need things that are designed for bariatric patients....low carb, low calorie, very high Protein. The IDS and Protein Delite and nectar brands are for bariatrics.And most of them taste very good.

Best wishes!!

**Gets on her EAS shake podium**

I love this stuff. Its ready to drink, not gritty, no aftertaste at all if you get the "real sugar" kind and limited aftertaste if you get the kind with an artificial sweetner. (and even then, I dont think there is an aftertaste, but those people with sensitive taste buds may care to argue that point)

I drink, everyday for Breakfast, one of their shakes. (cause I hate to eat in the AM, not because of the band, just cause I dont like to cook Breakfast in the morning)

EAS has a "carb control" brand you can get in wal-mart and some grocery stores (bi-lo and Lowes' foods)

Now, I have only tried once, the powder that they make, but I blended the heck out of it with ice and milk and had no gritty issues/

The drink I had this morning was the coffee Cafe Caramel.

The stats:

Cal: 110

Fat: 3g

Carb: 3g (one Fiber, one sugar, one "other")

Protien: 15g

To me, unflavored unjury is good in small amounts because I get an "old milk" aftertaste with it if I use too much.

But thats me :)

**gets off of podium, looks for check from EAS**