Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2006 Bandsters!

Hi All

I am starting my 5th day of the liquids, it still sucks but only 6 days to go!!!

Glad to hear all are doing well. Isn't it strange to be happy and concerned and excited we all are for people we don't even know? I't really awesome! I said in my first post that this is the first forum I have ever even looked at. I am happy I found this one. Since joining I have been peeking at other sites and this one really is the most encouraging and supportive.

Good luck to all how are being banded in the next couple of days, you will do great!

Crispygal - I am close, Blackstone MA and being banded 10/19 at Norwood. I have relatives in Mansfield (I was there on Sun watching a Pop Warner game). I am on the hush hush though. Only 3 people know my "big secret"

This liquid diet SUCKS so bad.....ugh this was the first day....and oh boy was it hard! 13 days til im official

Joy, Joy - I thought I would never make it through the last 3 weeks. I am entering the 4th and final week of the shakes and it gets better. I will be honest with you, the headaches are horrible and a few times I did cheat. It wasn't anything major, but I cheated. popcorn, apple or some cider were the things I had, but I had to what I had to get through it. That was the first week, now it's fine not a problem. Good luck and it will get better.

I am wondering what some of your liquid diets consist of?

I am on for 10 days. I can have 2 Atkins or Carb Solution shakes and up to 3 light yogurts per day. Of course, all the calorie free liquids I chose.

I would love to hear what some others are "allowed". It seems to be all over the place, lots of differences??

Congrats Kstar! Today is the big day! Good luck!

JHW - hang in there. It does get better. I thought I would bounce back much quicker than I did, but it took me a full week to feel 100%.

threebeauties - my band is a secret too. Only my family and close friends know. Don't worry - your secret is safe with me! I have a friend who lives in Taunton (SherryW) and we are thinking about trying to set up a local support group at her house that would meet once a month. Would you be interested in joining us? Also, if you want to check out some of our chats under the MA board, please do. We have a group under BIDMC, which is the hospital I was banded at, but now it's moreso just a chat with some great ladies. Feel free to join us! As far as liquids after surgery go, I've been eating a lot of Tomato Soup, pudding, yogurt, and carnation instant Breakfast. I cannot wait to get to mushies!!

Hope everyone is doing well!

Chrispypal.

I would be interested in joining, thanks for the invite.

I was unclear, sorry, must be the lack of FOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hungry: .......I am pre-op so I am wondering what others PRE-OP diet consists of.

Yesterday I went for my pre-surg. testing and I have approval from my insurance company. So everything is a go for October 19th. Today I go to my physician for clearance.

Hi Everyone!!

James and I are just 26 hours out of surgery and doing really well. We had our bands done at 10 and 11 am. We did our barium swallows at 4 and were able to leave by 5. Since we live 100 miles away we had a hotel a few miles from the surgery center. We rested well alnight. A little discomfort but overal not bad. Today we are home. Its good to be home. I actually felt hungry a while ago but amazingly about a 1/4 cup of broth filled me up.. Praise God!!!!!

The gas pains are there but very toerable. We went shopping this morning for about a .ould recommend taking it easy the first day.

I am so happy it is over. James and I will keep you all posted on our progress. Everyone who is getting banded. DOn't worry it is gonna be alright..

Jodi

ThreeBeauties - my diet is up to 8 items a day on the Optifast Program. I could pick from vanilla, chocolate and strawberry shakes; Oats and Honey, Peanut Butter or Chocolate bars; and Tomato or chicken noodle Soups.< /p>

My plan is 5 shakes a day, the chocolate and vanilla are really good. Then I eat 3 bars a day - prefer Peanut Butter and Chocolate. The Oats and honey taste like Vitamins - just my opinion. I didn't order the Soup. Then I can have Ice Tea (decaf) with Sweet and Low and Water is about it. I usually stick to water - I don't want to have the caffeine withdrawals.

I have 4 weeks of this - I see my surgeon on Wednesday for my last appt. until surgery and I am going to inquiry why my diet seems so extreme vs. others - just curious at this point.:dance:

okay the time has arrived for me to leave for the hospital. Surgery at 10:30am. I am so excited. I slept better then i thought i would last night. Hope all is well with everyone! I will talk to yall when i get home. BANDLAND HERE I COME!!!:clap2:

Good luck KStar! We'll be looking forward to hearing from after surgery.:clap2:

Hi all!

Being banded on the 19th! My preop is 3 sugar free carnation instant breakfasts a day, 2 cups of veggies and 2 low fat up to 350 calories frozen dinners such as lean cuisine or Smart ones. And of course a river of water!

I can say that sounds much better than what I have heard some of you have had to do, all liquid etc. I can't say though that I have followed it well. :hungry: At first did fine and then I think because I was getting anxious over the surgery went a little nuts. I can't stay away from potato chips! My biggest down fall. I've done better today and went shopping at lunch time and stocked up some things to have on hand at work when I get back.

Take care all,

I enjoy reading the posts and hope that I can help someone after I get banded.

macdeb:)

Well, I just got back from my post op appointment. I have lost 13 lbs. since surgery date 10/2. Yepee!! My first fill is scheduled for November 2. I am so happy that I made this decision. I can honestly say that I have really not once felt really hungry. The cravings occur periodically, but I think the mind set is in place right now. Now, not sure how I will be once I get the green flag for regular food. Anyway, I just wanted to give my update and to give encouragement to all October bandbabies!!! To all those who are having surgery next week, Best Wishes and hope to hear about your journey!

Shell

.......I am pre-op so I am wondering what others PRE-OP diet consists of.

I'm pre-op as well and I have to do 10 days on Optifast and I can have fat-free broth, sugar-free Jello, sugar-free popsicles, fruit juices, skim milk, coffee and tea. No carbonated liquids.

My post-op diet is something else, much more strict than what I've seen here. It's a full 8 weeks long! It's one full month of the pre-op diet followed by another full month of mushies (cream Soup, purreed meats, purreed veggies and fruits, yogurt, runny oatmeal and soft eggs. Seems twice as long as what other doctors are ordering. Oh well...hopefully I'll lose lots of weight and my band will be properly healed and less prone to slippage (at least that's what I'll tell myself as I'll probably nearly lose my mind by post-op week 5 LOL!).

Aza I have the same post op diet but right now being 28 hours out it sounds fine to me. I am still kinda sore but mostly just that darn gas. Does anyone know if you can hurt anything by the way you move. Sometimes in bed I move a way that pulls and it sort of hurts. Also when you burped right after did it really hurt? Mine does. Also wondering is my port directly under all the stictches? I can't seem to tell being I'm so swollen.. Thanks for all the feedback. I'm glad we have this forum.

Jodi

No problem threebueauties! Glad it worked! Do you see that it's in kilograms though? By the way, every time you make a change you have to cut and paste again. Congrats on the weight loss already!!