Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Haven't Even Started Exercise Yet

Hi all,

I had my sleeve done on 8/9/12 and have yet to start exercising. I was walking around as much as I could without being out of breath. On day 10 I developed a sinus infection which produced a lot of mucus causing quite a bit of nausea. I am still fighting the infection now.. Doc told me to rest as much as possible to try to kick the infection ASAP but I know I need to start exercising... Any suggestions on what I should start out with? And for how long? Docs advice before surgery was 30 min 3 times a week but I'm not sure if I have the strength for that yet.

Thanks

I was only cleared for walking till my 6 week post op appt. I just walked longer each day till I was back to walking about an hour per day. I walked 4 days per week. At 6 weeks, I began strength training, going easy on the abs for a while longer.

Lynda

We were sleeved on the same day. I don't think I'm ready to do anymore then walking. I still have my good and bad days. I've lost 53pds so far but still not myself.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using VST

Doc told me to rest as much as possible to try to kick the infection ASAP but I know I need to

Skittle

IMO all "normal" people should listen to their docs.

Us "abnormal" people that wear their sleeves on their heart ;) - have to follow particular close instruction/directions from the dr/NUT

doc told you to rest - getting over your infection sooner than later. then REST kiddo.

you might relapse if you start some exercise now. You can wait a bit, heal up, then still make sure you feel 100%

the exercising is here forever - we all want your infection gone yesterday

take care

God Grant Me Patience, Just Hurry Up About It

Skittle

IMO all "normal" people should listen to their docs.

Us "abnormal" people that wear their sleeves on their heart ;) - have to follow particular close instruction/directions from the dr/NUT

doc told you to rest - getting over your infection sooner than later. then REST kiddo.

you might relapse if you start some exercise now. You can wait a bit' date=' heal up, then still make sure you feel 100%

the exercising is here forever - we all want your infection gone yesterday

take care

God Grant Me Patience, Just Hurry Up About It[/quote']

Sinus infection are BAD mojo! Just rest and get over it for good or it will come back! Relapses are usually worse that the original problem too. I used to get the damn things religiously.

Thanks for the support.. I wasn't planning in starting yet

Thanks for the support.. I wasn't planning in starting yet

Ok hit a button too soon.. Lol!! I am hoping to get started in the next couple of weeks but I want no trace of this infection before I do.. Cough is holding me back now.. Hopefully that will be gone in a few days.. Today is first day I have felt some what normal...

Time to go drink more Water lol!!

I'm sorry you're sick. Start walking this weekend... start slow and build up your endurance. After you're well and cleared by your doc, kick it up into high gear. My first month was walking, my 2nd month started with Water aerobics and treadmill and a few weight machines. Now, at 3 months, I put the treadmill on high incline and walk as fast as I can for 10 minutes to warm up, then switch to elliptical for 20 minutes (at least) and then either do weight lifting or more cardio on the bike.

I've tried a variety of classes. Zumba was the first (what a laugh, I'm so uncoordinated), then I went to kickboxing (and LOVED IT) but they cancelled the class due to the instructor getting hurt. :( My latest new class is yoga for flexibility.

I'm learning to love exercising.

Hi all' date='

I had my sleeve done on 8/9/12 and have yet to start exercising. I was walking around as much as I could without being out of breath. On day 10 I developed a sinus infection which produced a lot of mucus causing quite a bit of nausea. I am still fighting the infection now.. Doc told me to rest as much as possible to try to kick the infection ASAP but I know I need to start exercising... Any suggestions on what I should start out with? And for how long? Docs advice before surgery was 30 min 3 times a week but I'm not sure if I have the strength for that yet.

Thanks[/quote']

Good luck

My surgery date was exactly one year before you! I didn't start any exercise (other than walking) until I was 6 weeks out because my doctor wanted me to heal. At that point, I started lifting some arm weights and doing some video game exercises like the dance games and the exercise games. They got me moving.

I then met with a trainer who helped me figure out what I needed to do and what I could do at home. I got a lot of advice and exercise tips, etc. It really helped me get a program that I could do at home.

We were sleeved on the same day and I haven't started doing anything other than walking yet. I'm going to start strength training in the next week because I feel great and my outsides are perfectly healed. Take your time and don't rush yourself if you aren't feeling up to it. Listen to your body and your doctor!

Hey everyone! I was under the impression that walking IS exercise. Be kind to yourselves, no one is "just" walking.

Hey everyone! I was under the impression that walking IS exercise. Be kind to yourselves' date=' no one is "just" walking.[/quote']

Thank You, I am just walking at 10 days post op and walking is just beginning NOT to hurt my knees! Thank God 30 lb's gone since 8-1-12

Finally over the sinus infection and can breathe again!! Getting in as much as I can stand right now.. Granted its more of things that are a bit taxing rather than actual exercise but I'm working up to it... Broke a pretty good sweat today! So excited I can actually move rather than struggling to even get out of a chair!

Good luck all!!