Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie From Arizona

Hello everyone I am 17 years old and have been over weight all my life. I know I'm young and it may seem like I have all the time in the world to lose the weight but unfortunety I have been trying for years. I was over 330 pounds in the 7th grade (i was about 13). I just feel my life was never really me so after a friends mom told me about the band I started looking into it more. I am just looking for people to tell me about their journey and how I can expect it to be like. :help:

Thanks,

Samantha

P.S. sorry its kinda long once I got into it I had a lot to say.

Hey Samantha,Welcome to lapband from Texas. Glad you are here. You can expect wonderful things to happen if you will work with your band and you sound like you are well ready.I did'nt have as much to lose as you but it is all the same. I am 20 pounds from goal in five months time.Time has really went fast and it has been easy. I have'nt even tried to eat the things that made me fat to start with.I think we all know what we were doing wrong and the band is not a miracle worker but it sure does help.Let me know if you need any questions answered.:D Good Luck

Hey Samantha and welcome!

I am so glad you found us. I know there are some other members on this board that are close to your age and hopefully you will hear from them as well.

No matter what your age, being overweight is a tough thing to deal with. I wish the band would have been around 20 years ago, because I definitely would have had it done then. You are so young and have your whole life ahead of you. I am proud of you for making this decision that you want to be healthier and are going to do something about it. I think you will have great success with the band.

How do your parents feel about it? I am assuming they are supportive. Have you been to a seminar yet?

As you are going through the board, make sure you check out the "stickies" that are posted at the top of each forum. They are loaded with valuable information that will help you along the way. And, of course, do not be afraid to ask questions. We are all here to help and support one another.

thank you so much susan and sallyjo I appricate you taking the time and replying. This is has been a wonderful experience finding a website with people in similar situations like myself. my parents especially my mother has been nothing but supportive. I am currently in the information stage trying to get the process started. It is definately something I am not taking lightly.

thanks for all the support,

Samantha

Welcome to LBT! There is a lot of information here just for taking the time to read it all. I wish I had an option of a lapband when I was younger. Good Luck to you!

Hi Samantha, Welcome to LBT from another Arizona gal! Where in AZ are you from? I live near Show Low.

My decision to get the band was the BEST decission I ever ever ever made!!!!

Like Sallyjo said, You can expect wonderful things from the band If you work with your band. It has been so easy at times and then it has been soooooooooo hard at times. But all worth it in the end!! I still have about 50lbs to lose. But with the band I know it is Possible!!!

Good luck to you!

I got my first refferal for a band when I was 17, so I know how it feels. I said no at first then waited till i was 24 in that time between 17 to 24 I gained 40lbs. . . I kick myself when I said no at 17. I wish you the best of luck and if you want to email me privatly you are welcome to australian_colleen@yahoo.com.au

I wish you the best of luck

Colleen

Oh and the good part of the story, I am so close to goal it is awsome!!! so worth it

I'm in AZ too girl and Scottsdale Bariatric is a great source of information. You can go on their website or you can attend information seminars.

A couple of places said that too. It is currently on my list of possible places. I am just waiting to get an appointment with my doctor and get a consultation from him.

I am currently trying to convince my husband that this is the right choice for me. I know it is and I know that I will do well with the surgery. I have chosen Dr. Terry Simpson www.drsimpson.net to do my surgery.

Like I said, I am excited about this. I just wish my husband could see that it is not cosmetic and for my health. My father died young from heart disease and my Mom just passed on 8/11 from complications of heart and lung disease. I am 120 lbs over weight.

I totally understand the husband thing. I've been contemplating Bariatric surgery for about 6 years now and all this time I've been working on my husband to come around.

This year I made up my mind and decided that with or without his support I was going to do this for me! When I presented him with this I also confirmed the fact that heart disease also runs in my family, diabetes etc... and since I had been depressed for a while I also asked him what would he rather?

- A healthier, happier wife or an overweight depressed wife with all sorts of health complications? That brought it home and I was grateful that he finally realized that it's not about me wanting to fit into "The little Black Dress" it's me wanting to have a healthy, happy and good quality of life!

P.S. In the long run if I happen to fit into that little black dress well, guess who will be all gaga about that??????:eyebrows:

Enough said!