Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is Vsg Really Right For Me? 2 Weeks Out And I Have The Jitters!

Good Morning all,

I am fairly new to this group. My first Topic entry. I will have the VSG on Sept 11, a little over 2 weeks away.

I woke up in a panic this morning wondering if this is really going to work. You see I am not an overeater, although I can overeat and do from time to time but this is not my biggest issue. My biggest issue is making poor choices, eating high caloric foods with low nutritional value.

I know that with this new lifestyle, my habits will have to change. I am just so afraid. I KNOW me. And although I am firmly committed to do what this take, I am so afraid that I will fail.

So, please give me some feedback. Anyone else that had the sleeve like me?

Hi, Lima! First, welcome to VST! You've made a significant choice for yourself in finding a place for information and support. There is a search bar at the top right of the page where you can search the forum for answers to tons of questions. It works best if you go to the home page and then use the search bar. I use it a lot when I have questions in the middle of the night. ;)

Now, to answer your question, NO, you will not be the only person to have VSG and not lose weight. Immediately post-op you won't be able to eat junk. You should be doing a pre-op diet of some kind and that will help you to remove the big bad stuff from your diet, i.e. sugar, caffeine, empty carbs. Your early post-op diet will likely be liquids for several weeks, then adding in soft foods slowly to give your new sleeve time to heal. There will be no room in the diet or in your sleeve for junky food, and you won't want it.

I had to detox myself from several things during my liquid diet, including diet soda, caffeine, sugar, etc. The pre-op diet seemed tough, but I didn't even like sweets by the time I got out of the hospital after my sleeve. My tastes changed significantly post-op, and very little of that stuff appeals to me now. I'm more likely to drool over raw broccoli than over the dessert menu these days! LOL I should add that Rex, my sleeve, doesn't really like raw veggies at almost a year out. I can eat 2 or 3 small pieces of raw broccoli and I'm full.

You will learn what works for your sleeve over time, but you will not be able to eat the quantities of food that you ate before. There's simply no room in your new tummy for junk. I still see food as Protein or not protein, and I usually choose the protein food over the non-protein food. . I eat pretty much on a schedule these days because I don't often get hungry. If I actually get "hungry", it's because I've gone way too long without eating and that's when I'll make terrible choices.

Your experience may be similar to mine, or you may want to talk to someone to help you get through mental issues with food. I saw a therapist to help me with my relationship with food, and I think it's pretty normal now. I believe that most people who need WLS have mental issues with food that need to be discussed with a pro. Lots of us, me included, used it as a crutch to help us deal with our problems pre-op and may need to talk to someone to learn new coping skills post-op. I used to "eat my problems" pre-op and comfort myself with food. Cross-over addictions are common. I'm working to make mine exercise! ;)

Now that I've rambled, let me say again, you will lose weight with your sleeve! Your body will have no choice but to give up the pounds! You'll be eating so little that weight loss is inevitable to start. The sleeve is still just a tool and you'll have to do the mental work to use it properly. I suggest that you start using some kind of program to log your food. I like My Fitness Pal for logging my intake and I use it in conjunction with a Fit Bit to help me track my steps and exercise every day. You will start taking baby steps now and in a year you'll be amazed at how much your life and body have changed!!! :)

Good luck on your journey! I'm excited to watch you transform yourself!! :)

I would over eat and make bad choices. The reduction of hunger hormone was the most appealing to me. I thought about food all the time! I'm

On week 7 now and eating whatever now and I've still eaten say a mozzarella stick but two bites satisfied me vs 5 sticks before My taste buds changed and now I eat less obviously but also crave tomatoes vs cake ( ha ha ha! If youve read my other post) its way easier to make better choices. At a restraunt I want healthier things. Tastes better. :). hard to explain. I never thought I'd stop craving French fries

Honestly this is one of the best things I've done. I still have a long way to

Go but I just got out of " plus size" clothes and that was an awesome feeling!

Hey there! I'm with you on the "I don't eat too much, I eat the wrong kinds of foods." I was a total junk food junkie, and it cost me a lot of time--time I didn't do what I really wanted to do, see the people I wanted to see, go to the places I wanted to go, etc. etc. because I was embarrassed to be so fat.

I want to share with you that for me and for my husband (also a sleever), the sleeve has been a turning point in our eating habits, AND WE DO NOT FEEL DEPRIVED!! My husband was sleeved in 2010; he said then that he wanted something that would serve as a "hand slapper" to tell him it was time to stop eating, since he WAS a volume eater--of the wrong types of foods, double whammy. He was shocked to discover that post-sleeve, his body would pretty much dictate that he avoid junky foods, and he began to PREFER healthier foods like salad and yogurt! My 2-portions-of-spaghetti-with-meatsauce-and-garlic-bread-eating husband PREFERS salads!!!

In my case, I had the diet of a teenage boy--I ate junk food almost all the time, washed down with soda. It was ridiculous. I never had a problem with emotional eating or eating too much volume-wise, just made consistently bad food choices. I was hooked on sugar. The sleeve solved that for me by limiting what I could eat until my body got those toxins cleaned out. I always loved vegetables and healthy food; I just never chose it before because I was "super hungry" or whatever--I don't know the reason. Post-sleeve, I find I am eating extremely healthy food in "normal" quantities, never feel deprived or like "oh, I really wish I could have _____," because I'm satisfied from a food point of view.

You will probably miss food at the beginning--you'll miss the sense of comfort and routine that a particular food is associated with. But TRUST me, once that weight starts dropping off, and it will soon after surgery, your body changes, your body chemistry changes, and your brain begins to adapt to "the new you." It's WONDERFUL. Getting off all meds caused by poor diet--WONDERFUL. Knowing you're going to live longer because you are healthier--WONDERFUL.

Feel free to PM--lots of helpful folks on this board, lots of support. It's entirely up to you, and I wish you the best no matter what you decide to do.

I have my surgery scheduled for sept 10 and I want to thank you all for your wonderful posts. I feel much more comfortable now in my decision but I am not fooled to think that it will be an easy journey. As the day approaches I am more eager to start my "new" life.

thanks everyone!

This is so like me, I could have written it myself. Thank you so much for asking, and thanks to the others for the responses. I just spent a week on a cruise ship and my friend kept saying "you don't eat much, I don't see how you will possibly eat less". She was right. It's just that I normally would fill up on rolls and other carby food which I love, love, love with a passion that scares me. Even though it wasn't alot of food, the calories were too high. was focusing on eating Protein first, bread 2nd. I didn't gain any weight on the cruise.

Years ago, I was at my brothers house for a New Years Eve party. I was getting ready to go on another diet and I said I would have just one potato chip. As I was talking, I mindlessly picked up another. The chip was suddenly knocked out of my hand by my brother and went flying across the kitchen. My brother said "you said you were only going to have one." He was right. And to this day I can probably count the number of potato chips I have eaten since then. I have often said I wish I could have him knock the Cookies out of my hand. I hope this sleeve will be a mental "slap" for me until I get out of the habit. I want to want healthy food. Right now, I would rather eat one brownie instead of an entire plate of healthy food. I don't want to be a slave to sugar anymore.

I meant to say : for the last couple of weeks, I have focused on proten first...

Hi Lima. I'm currently awaiting a surgery date and question myself everyday. But I out to Breakfast with a group this morning and saw myself in the mirror and said, this has Got to change. I've read posts from people who almost got off the operating table but went through with it and never been happier. I've even read the complications forum and don't think I've read a post of someone wishing they hadn't done it. Stay strong and think of the "big picture " a littler, healthier you.

Hey Guys!

Thanks so much for all the support and encouragment. Reading your responses really has helped. I began the process back in November and have done alot of research and have always felt really confident about the VSG but this morning I woke up in a panic. It is so wonderful to hear from people who have been there and can give me honest information.

I wasnt sure how to quote you guys since I am new on here so I have responded to each of you below. Thanks again!

Lissa, I began to try to detox myself off of caffeine and sodas as well and have been extremely successful although I was addicted to diet soft drinks. I have been 4 months without it. It was hard at first but not even an issue right now. As far as the sweets......ehhh not so much. Thanks for the suggestions to talk to someone about the emotional issues that I have with food. I know I have them!

JoyV, Congrats on making it out of the Plus sizes! I cant wait to say the same!!!! Yeah, I live in Lima, Peru and they eat rice and french fries with everything. I cant imagine a world without them but I am so ready to live in that world!

MeginNOLA, thanks so much for your comments. I am exactly the same way. I love to eat healthy food and have even thought that I could be a vegetarian because I love veggies so much. I just make stupid choices!!! Even when given healthy options I opt for the cheesy fatty bad one! Are you from New Orleans? I am actually from Shreveport, LA and lived for 15 years in Baton Rouge. Just spent a year in New Orleans going to the seminary there. I would love to keep in touch. Living in Peru right now but heading back to the US for Christmas!

Amazon13: Good luck for your upcoming surgery. Yours is the day before mine! We will get fit together!

Amykins, I am right there with you. I am so ready to NOT be a slave to sugar! I would much prefer a brownie to an outright meal. What is wrong with me??? Anyway, I will pray for you as you change your life too! We are in this together!!!

Barisaxylady: I am ready for the change! Lets do this!

And one other thing: I started exercising for an hour a day 9 days ago and I feel like I am starving all the time!!!! haha