Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October Sleevers! Announce Yourselves

I'm in Texas ' date=' how bout you[/quote']

North Florida

I have read sooo many posts and a very small number have said they had a lot of pain. Most said they had a general gassy discomfort, but most did not use up their pain meds. A doctor must manage pain adequately. Its their job. Generally, women have a higher pain tolerance (most, not all!) but you mentioned you've got a pretty decent pain tolerance, so I think you're gonna rock this thing! Some mentioned bringing liquid Tylenol (kids, I guess?) but always ask the surgeon before taking anything :-)Good luck, keep us posted :-)

Thanks so much for helping calm my nerves :) I've given birth twice without pain meds and it wasn't that bad. I think my problem is that I've been reading up on the things that could go wrong and it's taking me out of my positive attitude. I guess the thing for me to do is not read post that are about complications because they really make me nervous and worried. Plus the fact that my surgeon doesn't allow any liquids after surgery for the first 24 hrs is kind of scary because I hate when my mouth is dry because it makes me feel like my throat is swelling and it just adds to my anxiety. It would be nice if they would allow me to swish Water around my mouth but I'm sure after surgery I may be too busy just trying to sleep, rather than drink. IDK lol I'm just think way too much into things. I'm gonna take a long walk tomorrow to try and help calm my nerves, plus exercise helps keeps my anxiety down.

Thanks so much for helping calm my nerves :) I've given birth twice without pain meds and it wasn't that bad. I think my problem is that I've been reading up on the things that could go wrong and it's taking me out of my positive attitude. I guess the thing for me to do is not read post that are about complications because they really make me nervous and worried. Plus the fact that my surgeon doesn't allow any liquids after surgery for the first 24 hrs is kind of scary because I hate when my mouth is dry because it makes me feel like my throat is swelling and it just adds to my anxiety. It would be nice if they would allow me to swish Water around my mouth but I'm sure after surgery I may be too busy just trying to sleep, rather than drink. IDK lol I'm just think way too much into things. I'm gonna take a long walk tomorrow to try and help calm my nerves, plus exercise helps keeps my anxiety down.

So, here's the dilly: most places have these lemon glycerin swabs they give you for dry mouth. Others bring along a spray that's sold OTC at any drug store...the name escapes me...The most common complication (still rare though) is infection at the incision sites. Make sure the nurses are gloved when they clean/change dressings and wounds. I've heard they usually give us some antibiotic cream for after we leave, si just make sure your hands are clean and you'll do great! The other complications like leaks/strictures are quote wuote rare, and there's nothing you can do to prevent those, except following docs orders and not doing anything you shouldn't do after surgery. Im scared too, but I've done all my homework and im trying to have a really positive attitude. Yes, this is totally huge. Yes its very nerve-wracking and scary..But, so is dying a slow death from obesity and other co-morbidities. You know what you want to do...if you're ready, do everything you can do to make the surgery easier on the surgeon. If you're not ready, its all good! There's time to make a decision one way or the other. :-)

sorry...i meant "very rare"...time for me to get a new smartphone, I think...

Ok, so originally I was pondering having VSG surgery sometime in November (by being in school and working, November looked like a better month for me) then because I was so anxious to have it done I said screw it, I'm going in October. Well wouldn't you know it, I have a serious schedule conflict with every date I have chosen. I haven't changed my Oct 9th date as of yet, but I know I will have to. If I could only pick a time that wouldn't conflict with work and school! With that being said, I may not be an October sleever after all. I'm now extremely frustrated! I won't update again until I'm leaving on a plane! (or at least until a few hours before surgery)!

Signed

Severly aggravated

Sweet Tee , i'm so sorry to hear this , I hope things work out for you. I know how frustrating it can be when you want to get something done for yourself and it seems like everything in the world is prohibiting you from getting it... take a few deep breaths , we're here for you !

Hello all, my name is Megan I am 28 I am married with 2 kids, 3 and 16months I live in wisconsin getting sleeved Oct the 8th with Dr. Kemmerling yaaaaay !!!! I weigh 245 now. And I am 5` 3" i am also very nervous about well everything . God be with you all

Hello Megan and welcome to the October sleevers family! Good luck on your journey and God Bless

Thanks Susan for listing the dates it really helps! : )

Money question ... I just called my insurance company and they have approved my surgery! My question is will I be expected to pay my max out of pocket at one time or will they work with me on installments? I have a hard time getting a hold of the right people at my doc's office and I feel like I'm bothering them when I do get someone on the phone.

So, here's the dilly: most places have these lemon glycerin swabs they give you for dry mouth. Others bring along a spray that's sold OTC at any drug store...the name escapes me...The most common complication (still rare though) is infection at the incision sites. Make sure the nurses are gloved when they clean/change dressings and wounds. I've heard they usually give us some antibiotic cream for after we leave, si just make sure your hands are clean and you'll do great! The other complications like leaks/strictures are quote wuote rare, and there's nothing you can do to prevent those, except following docs orders and not doing anything you shouldn't do after surgery. Im scared too, but I've done all my homework and im trying to have a really positive attitude. Yes, this is totally huge. Yes its very nerve-wracking and scary..But, so is dying a slow death from obesity and other co-morbidities. You know what you want to do...if you're ready, do everything you can do to make the surgery easier on the surgeon. If you're not ready, its all good! There's time to make a decision one way or the other. :-)

I'm 100% ready for the surgery and I'm going through the normal pre-surgery jitters. I'm just thinking way too much into things :wacko: I'm gonna look into the other stuff that you posted about dry mouth. I'm the type of person who sleeps with a glass of Water next to my bed and I tend to drink it through out the night, so it's gonna be kind of weird not being allowed to drink for 24hrs but I know I will be fine.

Also there is this active private group on FB called "achieving through sleeving". It's private and none of your comments will appear on your timeline and none of your friends will be able to see your post. It's a great group and it has lots of before and after pics, very inspiring. :)

Today is the day I became super serious about getting ready for this surgery. I finally finished my last nut visit last Thursday and papers are out to the insurance, fingers crossed. I started a pre-pre-op diet of one Protein Shake in am, one at lunch and proteon on the form of chicken, seafood, or beef and a vegetable. I had intended to start the gym today, but work took me longer than planned and had to get home to meet the school buses rolling home...maybe tomorrow. I walked into the Vitamin Shoppe today to buy Pure Protein Shakes and try an Isopure flavor ( took a sip of alpine punch, eh, not so bad). I felt bad. The girl behind the counter had this amused look on her face, seemed like she was amused at me being in there...oh well, my journey begins in earnest

bmi.png

I am counting down-30 days from today. I fell down some stairs last weekend and wrecked my knee-just another sign that I need to get this weight off. I am on crutches and am not able to exercise. I was starting to get in more exercise so that would be one less change I needed to make.

Hey Jazzy! My DOS is 10/11/12- and I've been on bed rest for almost 2 weeks for an abductor muscle/groin sprain (excruciating pain and I'm used to having back pain but this takes the cake!) Anyway, I'm worried this will cause me to have to postpone my surgery. I called my surgeon last week, he hasn't called back yet. What do you think?

Hello all' date=' my name is Megan I am 28 I am married with 2 kids, 3 and 16months I live in wisconsin getting sleeved Oct the 8th with Dr. Kemmerling yaaaaay !!!! I weigh 245 now. And I am 5` 3" i am also very nervous about well everything . God be with you all

[/quote']

We are scheduled for the same date! I am in FL.