Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie from Dallas Texas - ???????

:help:

Hello! I am new to this forum and will be having surgery with Dr. Benavides on 9/28/06. I am a 38 and started the process in late July and was just approved by my insurance company - Aetna - last week. I was surprised how fast everything moved.

I have started my 2 week pre-op diet and had some questions that have come up since I found your forum yesterday.

My understanding is that the purpose of the pre-op diet is to reduce your liver size thru the reduction of cholesterol, saturated fat, carbs and sugar. I have been give a Protein Powder to drink 2 x's per day and can have 2 healthy meals each day i.e lean meat and veggies. The lady at Dr. B's office said I could have shrimp or crab on my salad, however this does not make sense to me since these two items tend to be high in cholesterol. Any advice???

What is the difference between Mycoll and Reclaim RX?

I am nervous about the mechanics/process/steps of the lap band process and not the surgery itself as I have had 7 surgeries in the past for "female issues". I know the surgeon will do their job, however my friend is the anesthesiologist, since they make sure you wake up and not vomiting - thank god for phenegren (sp)? Does anyone know anything about the anesthesiologist used by Dr. Benavides and the richardson surgery center? Did they call before hand or did you meet them the day of surgery?

What determines the size of band you receive? Are there different types of bands and does anyone know what Dr. Benavides uses?

Do you receive your first fill 2 weeks after surgery and being on your liquid diet? What is the normal timeframe? What determine the your fill amount?

How soon can you start exercise/swimming after surgery?

Is there pain associated with the lap band and port? Can you feel it under your skin (port)? I sleep on my stomach and was wondering if this has to stop permanently or just after surgery?

Does the surgery center of richardson offer support groups?

Who does the fills and do they hurt?

:puke: Thank you in advance for any advice words of wisdom you may have and for reading my brain dump questions. I appreciate it.

Ann

Hi, there.....hey, you are in good hands. Dr B. did my band in March. It was a huge non-event - not so much as a gas pain. The hardest part of the whole thing was trying to tug on those white surgical hose over my little short fat legs. Grunt!!!

I'll try to answer your questions based on my own experience.

Shrimp and crab are high Protein - they'll be an important part of your diet from now own. Two weeks worth of them should not effect your cholestrol....and you probably won't eat a lot of them anyhow. And your cholestrol is going to probably drop like a rock within a few weeks. I'm off my meds for it completely now.

Difference between Mycoll and Reclaim....Reclaim is much better tasting. Wish I had some right now! It's one of the better ones of the market, made in Dallas.

I've had a number of surgeries myself. Can't really remember if the anesthesiologist called the night before or not this time, but he did come to my room before surgery and talk with me. I never even knew when they took me to surgery. After I began to wake up, my back hurt from lying on that slab (nothing to do with the surgery...just my arthritis...he gave me some morphine to ease the pain and I was groggy for while.)

They stood me up, xrayed my belly to see if the band looked right, and that was it. I was in and out and on my way home....whole thing was about 4 hrs.

They decide on the size of band after they get in there and look at the way your are put together, they say it has nothing to do with your size. I got a 10 cc VG.

I think he said come back in 2 wks. afterward. I felt fine, tried not to sleep on my left side for a couple of nights. Had no pain at all. I was just tired and sleep feeling for a few days ( but I'd been that way for a couple of years..LOL~). I was driving in 3 days, could have gone back to work in about 4 days if I were working (desk job). I can't feel my port or see it.

Seems like I got a fill about 4 weeks....can't remember for sure. I don't use the SCOR center for my fills because insurance won't pay for it there (at least at that time they didn't....may now). I use a cardiologist who specializes in wls patients and all I have to pay is co-pay for an office visit. He determines the size of fill the first time.....I got 3.6cc's. After that it's based on how you are doing hunger-wise, etc. I had one more 3 wks later, probably will go back before long....I'm beginning to get a little hungry sometimes. I think most drs say if you are going by rules, getting hungry and haven't lost in 6 wks, you may be ready for another fill.

My fill dr. is extremely skilled and experienced. I walk in, flip up my blouse, he injects the needle in the port, I step across hall, drink something while tech looks at floroscope, and I'm outta there in less than 5 min. Mine have not hurt at all. I have heard others complain about pain, however.

I am to see Dr B again 6 mo after surgery...'call me if you need me.' I haven't needed him. So far, so good. When I read some of the others' experiences, I am so thankful for a good experience and talented people with lots of exerience doing their jobs. I'm doing my part on this end, too.....it's hard work but the results are worth it.

Best wishes.....hope this helps. Remember that everyone's experience is different and this is just mine. It was a relief, though, because I am older and had been sick for a long time. I now feel 10 yrs younger and am 80 lbs lighter and still going.

Hi, I had Dr. B put my band in 4 weeks ago. The surgery process was easy and he checked on me before I left. I had my surgery at Wise. i do recommend that you tell them you want to rest alittle before being sent home. After I was out of surgery i went home an hour later - a little to soon for me. The first night I had terrible gas pain and I recommend having gas relief meds. They have a new kind that is like a breath mint strip. I found the most relief from walking. After 3 weeks i can now sleep on my left side and after 4 days i felt pretty good. They say to call a few days after surgery to set up an appointment for a fill which will happen in about 4-6 weeks.

Good luck! Dr. Benavides and his staff are great!

I just came from a seminar today with Dr. Marsden. He is in Hurst, Texas and he spoke often about Dr. B. My surgery is scheduled for October 6th. My insurance has an exclusion clause, so I have to pay cash. However, I have a great family that will help me out. It has been great reading your comments, they really do help. It took me several days to find a lap band forum, though. Good Luck to all!

Thanks for all the info. I have my surgery scheduled with Br. B on Thursday, 9/21, and have been a ball of nerves for the last week. This posting really helped

My anesthesiologist talked to me during my pre-op appointment, and also before the surgery on surgery day.

I was banded 6 days ago, and the site of my port is the only tender spot.

I didn't have Dr B, but I hope this little bit helped.

:clap2: Ann, Good Luck I am in Chattanooga TN and on day 3 of my preop which is liquids only and cant drink Glucerna and sugar free pudding and Jello and plain or lo0w fat yougurt. So I decided to be creative and I put the vanilla glucerna in the blender with ice and added sugar free banana creme powder to it and boi does it taste good:Banane23: :wow2: What other kind of flavers can I add to it.

I tried the butter pecan and don't like it very much trying ot think how I can doctor that one up too? Also the chocolate ? It does not say I can add any fruit such as strawberries or bananas? Would that be considered cheating ?

Welcome to the board Ann

Thanks for all the replies and wonderful words of wisdom. I am counting dow till my surgery and cat't wait.

My husband made me a great drink tonight. He mixed 6oz of OJ, 2 scoops of Reclaim RX vanilla and some ice and it tasted very good. He also mixes 6oz of skim milk some frozen strawberries and 2 scoops Reclaim Vanilla and it comes out like a mix between a smoothy and mouse. It is very light a frothy. We purcahsed that bullet mixer that is shown on tv and it is perfect for this.

Thanks once again.

Ann

There is a Bandsters support dinner this Thursday night (Sept 21st) in Arlington at the Mercado Juarez restaurant. It starts at 6:30 and they provide us with a private room. All are welcome - pre-band, banded, family, friends, etc. I can send directions if anyone is interested.

I would love to meet some of my LBT friends! We usually have 15-20 people and the restaurant has great food, plus happy hour Margaritas.

This is a good place to ask questions about specific doctors, surgery centers, etc. Also, we often have people who were banded in Mexico (or even more "exotic" places).

Hope you can join us! :hungry:

Hello,

I also live in Dallas. I will have my surgery on 10/16 with Dr. B. I will have it at Wise hospital in Decatur. I am very nervous and excited at the same time. I am learning more about the surgery and have gotten more familiar with it. I start my liquid diet on 10/2. We will see how this goes. I will keep everyone that has had it and will have it in my prayers as I hope they will do the same.

Hello,

I also live in Dallas. I will have my surgery on 10/16 with Dr. B. I will have it at Wise hospital in Decatur. I am very nervous and excited at the same time. I am learning more about the surgery and have gotten more familiar with it. I start my liquid diet on 10/2. We will see how this goes. I will keep everyone that has had it and will have it in my prayers as I hope they will do the same.

Good Luck!!!!

Best of luck to all the newbies.

:paranoid It looks like I may finally be approved by my insurance. I am very grateful for this place. I have been reading here for some time.

I will have my surgery at the Surgery Center of Richardson. Yes, I am nervous.

I was reading about anti-gas meds. Are these over the counter or must I ask my doctor for them?

My worst fear is nausea after surgery.

Elaine

GasX seems to be the drug of choice by most people....it's an OTC.

I had no nausea whatsoever, not even a gas pain.