Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dana - don't be afraid to reach for the golden ring! I had surgery 8 days ago. Went to a support group mtg tonight and some people considering having surgery sat in on the meeting. They asked all of us if anyone regretted the decision to have surgery. There wasn't one person there that had any regrets and some were a couple of years out. Just take it a step at a time. You will never know what hobbies you might enjoy, like tennis, is you don't go for it. You may not like any sports, but oh how much better you will feel! Even if it's a day out shopping!

I do have days where I have regrets but I KNOW for a FACT I could not have lost the weight any other ways. I could lose a pound and did lose 88 on low carb but I didn't have the will power to stick to it. With the sleeve, it IS my will power. I have not choice but to eat less. The days I have regrets, I'm mad all day thinking what have I done to myself??? THen I get on the scale and it goes down and thats when I remember why I did it. I have just now started having men open doors for me. Women complimenting me and my husband in his own way starting to pay attention to me. What I didn't expect is such low energy which I think will be ok when I can keep Protein down. The days I see someone eat a sandwich and I want one so bad, that is my regret or a piece of cake. Some people say one day...I will be able to eat those things again just in moderation like I should have in the beginning before surgery. I don't have a huge support system so I go to the monthly support group here in town. That helps. My mom makes comments on how I look but like any child...shes my mom...she has too. :)

I do hope that one day I'll be able to participate in family dinners, holidays, etc. This is New Orleans and EVERYTHING revolves around food ( the best food in the world too!). I'm not worried about portions-- I can handle tiny portions, I just want to be able to "have" it! My entire life I've thought ..if only there could be something that would make me not WANT to eat or COULDN'T eat --well, this is it!

I intend to go to the support group too -- I'm going to start now before surgery.

My BMI was 45 when I started and was higher (53) before I finally opted for surgery. I had high hopes that when they cut out most of my stomach, they'd leave behind a sudden love for exercise but that's not what happened. I still hate it, and will not lie - while I became far more active post op, traditional workouts and sports didn't happen.

I still got to goal. I love the way my body looks and I have no real complaints. Loose skin was a given for me due to the amount of weight lost and a twin pregnancy, so I was prepared for it - and it's mostly around my middle where exercise might not have done much for it, anyway.

Nausea was an issue for me, but only because I unexpectedly developed lactose intolerance post op. As soon as I eliminated the dairy, the nausea went away. The farther out I get from surgery, the more dairy I'm able to consume, though it's likely that ice cream made from milk/cream and cow's milk will always be off limits for me.

I should also note that I had already started exhibiting symptoms of a mild intolerance to dairy prior to surgery, and the sleeve just sped along the natural course of things.

It's normal to second guess. I think at some point, even once we're sleeved, most of us hit a stall or a rough spot and think we'll be the first ever real failure at the surgery.

shakes can be a challenge but I love mine now and still drink one most days. You just have to find a shake you love and liquids you like mixing it with and you'll be fine.

But the sleeve got me to goal and I couldn't be happier. I think once you learn your new normal it's easy to adjust.

Good luck,

~Cheri

Hey Cheri,

What shake did you finally find that you like?

My BMi was 62.4

I was worried that it wouldnt work for me but since surgery about four months ago I've lost 100 lbs. I'm not sure how much I'll lose or if I'll ever be a normal BMi but it's working

Also I've never thrown up or had crazy nausea

my bmi is 50 and im more than ready. ive lost weight on my own but its a beautiful thing going through the 6 month requirement (not sure how long your insurance makes you go through this) but you learn alot about your self. you tend to fall into the mentality that surgery is just a tool but if you are dedicated and want to make the LIFE change you will!!! its worth it in the end :) hopefully i get my surgery date for next month. but i have faith in you!!!

My BMi was 62.4

I was worried that it wouldnt work for me but since surgery about four months ago I've lost 100 lbs. I'm not sure how much I'll lose or if I'll ever be a normal BMi but it's working

Kimberly! If I could follow your path I would be the happiest and most grateful person! Congratulations!! Any secret to your success?

easier.

Dont stress over the Protein shakes. Make those shakes your b***h.

That is hysterical!!! I LOVE IT!

I did mix up some Prescriptfit earlier today in only 4oz of Soy Slender. It of course was still all slimy and frothy and gross so I held my breath took a big swig, swallowed, held my breath took a big swig swallowed... about 5 times. Each time I did it like I acted like I was belting back a bunch of pills all at once. Still gross but much quicker that actually sipping and drinking. The problem is after surgery I'm going to have to sip sip sip sip....gross.

my bmi is 50 and im more than ready. ive lost weight on my own but its a beautiful thing going through the 6 month requirement (not sure how long your insurance makes you go through this) but you learn alot about your self. you tend to fall into the mentality that surgery is just a tool but if you are dedicated and want to make the LIFE change you will!!! its worth it in the end :) hopefully i get my surgery date for next month. but i have faith in you!!!

Sending positive thoughts your way on getting your surgery next month! You're going to be a knockout -- you have a beautiful smile!!

My stating bmi was 49. I got to around 45 on my pre op diet. I had my surgery 4 months ago today and I have lost 97 lbs. Damn those last three pounds but I will be joining the "century club" later this week. I don't feel well if I eat certain foods (bread, trukey, other sugary carbs) but otherwise life is normal for me. I have no regrets!

Life is filled with a lot of "what ifs." This is one of those rare times when you can take a chance on a major change where the odds are in your favor.

I moved 1,000 miles away from where I had always lived in summer 2011. Sure, I was moving to make more money, but leaving everything else behind: friends, family, familiarity.

But, besides the obvious incentive, the money, I decided I had to do it because if I didn't I would regret the what ifs forever.

This is a similar situation. You will get results. Will it be painless and effortless? No. But the odds are in your favor.

Good luck.

COsleeveDude.. you sound like the lady from The Hunger Games... May the odds be ever in your favor! lol :) you're right, though. :)

also.. if you got the sleeve & then got to goal & then moved away.. how cool would that be?.. :) you'd have a totally new life! :)

My BMi was 62.4

Kimberly you look great already!!

Its normal' date=' I had all the same thoughts. I went through the Kaiser program back in 2004 for gastric bypass and talked myself out of it. I thought I could do it all on my own, and for a while it worked. I slowly lost weight over the years. Finally I got tired of being hooked up to a CPAP machine, taking medications, and being dependent on food. I decided that the risks of surgery were worth it. I even tried talking myself out of having surgery the day it happened because I was afraid of not waking up or worse, waking up in the middle of the procedure. The nausea afterwards was minimal for me, maybe I was lucky. Make sure this is what you really want.[/quote']

How far out are you? I had this done to get off CPAP. How much did you lose before they discontinued the CPAP?

How far out are you? I had this done to get off CPAP. How much did you lose before they discontinued the CPAP?

I'm still on my CPAP for now, it gives my husband peace of mind. I was only sleeved about two months ago. I hope by my next check up I'll be off it for good. It is definitely a goal for me to never needing to use it again.

Originally my pulmonary doc said I needed to lose 75# now that I've lost 50 he says 100 total. He finally agreed he would do another test when I met my goal. l personally would be content at 75# loss.