Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Over The Road Truck Drivers

I'm an over the road trk.driver and I stay out 5 weeks at a time. I basically live in my trk for 5 weeks and then go home for 5 days. I was wondering if there where any other drivers out there who have had sleeve surgery or were looking into it?

I biggest concern is am I going to have any problems that a person at home doesn't have to worry about. If ur reading and r not an or driver but think u could give me some advice plzzzzzz. Do.

I think it is possible, not easy but it is indeed possible. First I would say that you will prob need to get out of your truck every so often and walk around, a bit. Second you will have to pack your Protein to take with you on the road. Luckily they do sell ready made shakes that are pretty good. You cannot live on Protein Drinks so you will have to also incorporate better food choices. My number one fast food option in Wendy's chili you can have egg white omeletes for Breakfast. Your biggest battle is that you won't really eat much of your food. You can however save them and eat it later if you don't mind cold food. Good luck to you!!!

Shane Ferriss posts on here all the time. He is an OTR driver. In fact that used to be his username.

I used to do local work 10 years ago.

Do you have a fridge in your sleeper? If so, your main thing is going to be carrying the foods/protein drinks and so forth that you need with you. Do not plan on stoping at any truck stops or fast food places for meals for a while. Once you are on full foods you can always buy a grilled chicken sandwich and throw away the bread, but you will need to plan on buying all your groceries on the road and keeping them with you. I know some drivers already do this and some just eat every meal at the truck stops/fast food places. You'll need to stock up on Protein shakes before you hit the road unless you can find a GNC, Vitamin Shop or some other place on the road that sells them. You could use a small portable blender in your truck to mix them up but I think a shaker bottle with mixing ball is much simpler. They even sell them at Walgreens and Walmart now.

You'll also need to carry plenty of Water with you and always have a bottle handy.

Also, what are you gonna do about exercise? I know Shane was looking to carry a folding bicycle in his truck so he could go for rides. I've seen drivers doing all kinds of crazy workouts at rest stops. Whatever it is, you'll need to make a plan for it and stick to it. It will be challenging but it can certainly be done. You have the advantage of being able to eat and drink whenever you want/need to.

My husband is a regional truck driver and is considering having it done. We have talked about how challenging it could be exercise wise. Cooped up in a truck and lack of facilities to exercise is a concern of his. He thought of walking the lot around the truck stops to get some exercise in. And prepping as much food as he can and place it in his fridge.

I believe Candyman is also a truck driver. You can search for him using the search function.

Having a fridge or freezer would help you can defrost and keep 1-3 days worth of food pots or pouches in the fridge part while the rest is in the freezer if you have one with a freezer compartment.

It might be worthwhile if you go to the same places and have made friends with store or café etc owners/staff that you could maybe work out on your route that you will be passing this or that place and they let you mix up or blend up x amount of days food to restock the freezer part.

You could get some hand weights so you can use them at stops, maybe even the ones your wrap around your wrists and ankles for added weight and resistance for walking/jogging the lot or up and down an open road.

5 weeks out is a long time you are gonna need to really plan your food out maybe do one day in a motel self catering where you can go and buy a bunch of stuff and restock.

You could always post what area you are in see if anyone on here or any other place you speak to people are along the route to allow you to use the kitchen to make stuff.

There is a lot of stuff you can snack on like deli meats cheese Soup etc its just you working out how many days or weeks you can fully cover hassle free at a time and plan ahead how you will restock once its done.

This link may help http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/exercises/tone-your-thighs-and-butt-while-sitting-down.html

If you don't have a fridge/freezer in your rig and do wind up having to stop at FF places, remember that you can order just a chicken breast or just scrambled eggs or just bacon... Don't tempt yourself with the bread or other stuff, just get what you can eat... I go through McDonald's a few times a month for breakfast and I get two orders of scrambled eggs, or an order of scrambled eggs and a couple slices of bacon.

Edited to add - I don't eat all of it in one sitting, I save half for my morning snack a couple of hours later...

Hi Phil,

Yup I'm a driver, & so is Candyman. Actually we were both sleeved on the same day by the same surgeon, and believe it or not we have both lost right at 70lbs since may 23rd.

This is absolutely doable as a driver. There are a few tricks you learn, and a few minor things you'll do differently than people that are home every day but nothing major. I typically run anywhere from 3-8 weeks just depending on what's going on.

Are you a company driver or an o/o. It definately helps if you have he ability to modify the inside of your truck a little. A refrigerator, microwave, & large inverter make things quite a bit easier.

I for one have started to view buffet restaurants totally different. I use to stop at Chinese buffets regularly because there is always one you can get a truck near. Well, I still go there but now it's because I can get a carry out container load it with Proteins & veggies, pay for only what I want and have 2-3 days worth of food.

Protein shakes are a definate necessity, and even though they are a bit more expensive I definately recommend you get them in the individual serving packets. You can carry a much better variety that way in minimal space.

One of our biggest obstacles is the time crunch and the logbook. Unfortunately we can't just stop every few hours and eat like most people. Most of what we can do is dictated by the load & the logbook. So with this in mind you need to have a clear plan in mind about what you are going to eat & when. I typically keep high Protein Snacks close because I really want to avoid skipping meals. If its meal time & I just can't stop, I'll reach into the overhead and grap a Protein Bar or a small pack of turkey Jerky.

Also I always keep a couple cases of Water under the bunk. That's the primary drinkable liquid in my truck. I've got tons of flavorings & protein powders to mix in with it. I also keep a couple 1qt cartons of almond or coconut milk just for an occasional different flavor.

This can definately be done. Especially now that TA & Petro have fitness rooms in most of their facilities. I won't say it's easy, but what in a drivers life is? If you need any advice I'm happy to be of assistance. Don't hesitate to PM me.

I am so happy I found some other drivers out there. I guess my biggest question is where did u guys go, who was ur Dr. I'm thinking about Dr. Garcia or the husband n wife team Dr. Lopez n Dr. Osuma, both out of the same hospital in Tijuana. I'm a Co. Driver n trainer. I do have a 12volt cooler which works very well. I did the Atkins yrs. Ago so I'm down w the carb thing. To arathpon, if u decide to go ahead maybe we could go together, if u want lets corispond by email also.. I'm philcuccia@yahoo.com. thanks people. My biggest thing is finding the right Dr. I'm so afraid that some of the blogs I am reading may b from bogus people. This for all the reply....phil

Candyman & I were sleeved by dr. Ponce de leon in TJ Mx. Very happy with his work, but the two you have listed are quite capable also.

As far as the carb thing, our post op diet is very low carb. But to tell you the truth even as much as I loved bread & Pasta pre surgery, I really don't miss them now. food has become something I need for nourishment instead of a comfort. Kinda like fueling, I wish I could just keep going without it, but it is a necessary evil.

So my first post also a truck driver company looking at this procedure. Any updates still a viable option or has something better come out. Biggest question how long before you returned to driving. Thanks

So my first post also a truck driver company looking at this procedure. Any updates still a viable option or has something better come out. Biggest question how long before you returned to driving. Thanks

Moosc, im over a year and it was the best thing I could have ever done. Down 100+ lbs. And I feel gr8. No more diabetes,high blood pressure, heart burn, just keep in mind its not a diet its a whole new way of life. If u want to talk id b happy to talk to u. Email me ur phone to philcuccia@yahoo.com. ..

Moosc, im over a year and it was the best thing I could have ever done. Down 100+ lbs. And I feel gr8. No more diabetes,high blood pressure, heart burn, just keep in mind its not a diet its a whole new way of life. If u want to talk id b happy to talk to u. Email me ur phone to philcuccia@yahoo.com. ..

Phil how long did it take to get back to driving, strapping loads etc after surgery? My husband is having the sleeve done Friday and is worried about when to return.

I'm looking to get the gastric bypass surgery very soon. I'm a otr truck driver and I'm trying to find as much information as I can for what I can eat from a truck stop if I have to eat at a truck stop. I can take some food with me in my truck because it does have a small refrigerator in it. However, being out for 3 to 5 weeks will make it difficult to take enough food for the entire time on the road. I appreciate the information that has been posted here. If any other truck drivers have anything to add, please do. Thanks.