Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nuclear Stress Test - Why And What To Expect

Guys,

I went to my Cardiac clearance today and it was much stressful to me then any other appointments. When I got off the office I was ready to cry.

They told me that I need to have nuclear stress test and after that have an follow up with cardiologist. The problem is the next appointment for cardiac doctor available only on September 7.

and I almost fight to get test next week. I told them that I have surgery in September and they just said that they will put me on cancellation list.......

So now I am worried why they order me that test? what to expect from that. Can it be the stopper for my surgery??

:mellow:

You can go to any cardiologist you want. Go to someone else.

Scorpion I understand your worry. It happened to me as well. I was totally in shock as I expected to ace the stress test. I was able to get in about 7days later. Went to the clinic and they started off with an IV placed. I am still in a daze at that point and did not question it. When I got back to the room with the tread mill I overheard them talking that I needed the nuclear version. I asked why and they said that the bariatric clinic had told them I was unble to do the physical test. That was baloney to I elected do the physical test. It did make for a long three minutes on the treadmill but I did fine. They did manage to sneak in a carotid artery test. Sometimes I think that they take advantage when one has insurance. Just my opinion on that. You will do fine. Wear comfortable shoes and clothes.

I had to have the nuclear stress test because of my knee problems and they had to fight Cigna to get them to approve it.

So now I am worried why they order me that test? what to expect from that. Can it be the stopper for my surgery??

Stress tests are ordered for a few major reasons and are very often used to evaluate patients who are at a high risk of coronary artery disease (CAD). You probably have a higher risk of CAD. You're at an increased risk for CAD with increasing age, being male, smoking, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, obesity to name a few. If you've ever experienced angina (chest pains), you are likely to have a stress test to try to determine the cause.

Some people can do their stress test on a treadmill. You will have to walk for a certain time to get your heart rate to a certain level. Some people can't do the treadmill stress test either because of physical limitations such as arthritis or knee problems or because they can't exercise adequately enough to really make their heart pump. If you can't do the treadmill stress test, you can have a nuclear stress test where you are given a medication that simulates the effect of exercise. Having your heart rate speed up due to the medication can be uncomfortable / un-nerving, but you'll be able to get through it. They will watch your EKG and take images of your heart while you lay flat.

If you have undiagnosed cardiac issues, you would probably want to resolve them before going to surgery. Hopefully, everything will go just fine, your problems will be minimal, and you'll become even healthier after you've lost some weight!

Hi,

I had the nuclear stress test done about 2 months ago. There is nothing to be afraid of. I could not do the treadmill because of my knee issues. The techs told me that 70% of their stress tests are done with the nuclear version. Apparently many people get on the treadmill and can never get to the level they need so they end doing the nuclear test anyway. He said it saves time just to do the nuclear and be done.

During the actual stress part of the stress test when they inject the med is very strange. There is no pain but your body quickly (in less than 30 seconds) feels like you went from standing still to doing a marathon. It was a very bizarre feeling and I was amazed that a bodily function/response could be so real by a medication. But really, that part is over in a couple of minutes. Don't worry!

Stress tests are ordered for a few major reasons and are very often used to evaluate patients who are at a high risk of coronary artery disease (CAD). You probably have a higher risk of CAD. You're at an increased risk for CAD with increasing age, being male, smoking, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, obesity to name a few. If you've ever experienced angina (chest pains), you are likely to have a stress test to try to determine the cause.

Some people can do their stress test on a treadmill. You will have to walk for a certain time to get your heart rate to a certain level. Some people can't do the treadmill stress test either because of physical limitations such as arthritis or knee problems or because they can't exercise adequately enough to really make their heart pump. If you can't do the treadmill stress test, you can have a nuclear stress test where you are given a medication that simulates the effect of exercise. Having your heart rate speed up due to the medication can be uncomfortable / un-nerving, but you'll be able to get through it. They will watch your EKG and take images of your heart while you lay flat.

If you have undiagnosed cardiac issues, you would probably want to resolve them before going to surgery. Hopefully, everything will go just fine, your problems will be minimal, and you'll become even healthier after you've lost some weight!

Thank you good explanation, but this is exactly why I did'nt get why I need to go this. I have none of the symptoms for that and I am only 37yo. and no problem with heart ever. I will do this but for me it look like they just want to get money from insurance.

Thank you good explanation, but this is exactly why I did'nt get why I need to go this. I have none of the symptoms for that and I am only 37yo. and no problem with heart ever. I will do this but for me it look like they just want to get money from insurance.

Obesity alone is a major risk factor for CAD. Did you have an EKG done in the cardiologists office? Was it normal? What is your blood pressure? Have you ever had high blood pressure or high cholesterol?

I think that high blood pressure was the point. the nurse who take my blood pressure said It was 144/82

and it was strange to me because I usually have low blood pressure. when doctor came she check my blood pressure 5 times and couldn't get more then 120/75

and yes I have a bit elevated cholesterol level. ( base on my internal MD comments)

EKG was normal.

Still I am ready to cry that it might postpone my surgery...

You don't necessarily have to have your stress test done at a cardiologist's office. Many hospitals will do them on an outpatient basis. I would agree that you should call around and find another doctor who has an opening.

Ok. I went through nuclear stress test today. it took 3.5 hours, mostly wait time.....

they suppose to call me in 48 hours with result but I think treadmill I did ok.

Just want to update you guys on my result.

Finally after 1 week and a lot of phone calls Dr call me and said that my stress test look good and nuclear pictures of the heart are perfect. SO she will send the letter to my Surgeon for my Cardiac clearance. YEA!!!! I still need to follow up tomorrow that Dr office get it but I think after that I am done with all my appointments except ultrasound.