Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Introduction and Fears/Fear and Loathing in NY

Name is Phil. 250lbs. Should be 150lbs. 5'7". 51 years old. I am scheduled for Oct 9.

I am so fearful of my loss of food and if I can really survive without food in the form it now takes in my life. I'm sure this is NOT a new thread, but I just joined today and am not really sure how this forum works. The great news is that I just received clearance form my insurance Co.. So here we go. I will start the liquid diet in 2 weeks. I find that for the last 2 months, my eating is simply uncontrolled. One would think that I would begin a practical system for taking in less calories, right?

I am hopeful that by not being hungry, my fears will be a moot point. Any positive experience out there is greatly appreciated. Is it possible that with the band food may no longer control me?

Phil, Welcome to LBT! There are many friendly folks here who have wise words. I'll give you a bit of my experience for comparison :rolleyes:

I was banded in Oct 2005 and most of the time don't think of food. I usually only think of it when I know it's about the time of day you would consider a meal (Breakfast, lunch, dinner). I hardly ever think of snacking, but if I do - the great thing is I can have just a tiny portion of something (peanuts, cheese, etc) and it will satisfy me for hours.

And, usually the only dilemma I have is when I don't plan ahead and leave home without a lunch - if I don't have any Soups at my desk I have to think hard about what type of fast food I can eat that won't give me trouble. Since my 4th and 5th fills I'm at a good restriction level and am selective in what I choose.

I wish you all the best in your journey.

Karla

Hi Phil and welcome to LBT! I am so glad you found us, as we are here to help one another through this process and offer support, advice and friendship.

I think many of us worry about how we will cope with the loss of our good friend, food. It is almost like going into mourning. But, the wonderful thing about the band is, as long as your band tolerates it, you can eat it. I am not following any diet plan. I do not count calories, carbs, fat or anything else. I do try to make wiser, healthier food choices. But, what is wonderful about the band is even when you don't make a wise choice, your band is not going to let you over do it. You will only be able to eat so much and then you will be stuffed. I have also found, since reaching proper restriction, that I just don't get hungry and crave foods like I did before. But, when I do crave something, I don't deprive myself, I go ahead and treat myself. That helps control those cravings and stops me from going overboard.

I am sure you will do well with the band. It is a wonderful tool that I found has made my life very easy and worth living again. Best of luck with your pre-op diet. Please post often, let us know how you are doing, and don't be afraid to ask for advice.

Also, please make sure to read the "stickies" that are at the top of almost every thread. They are loaded with wonderful advice that I think you will find helpful.

This Lap-Band is a "Piece of Cake".

Seriously, your concern shows that you have been thinking and that is a big plus. I started at 5'9" - 327#. 4 years later, I am still dealing with problems, but dealing with problems means I am still alive at 10 years your senior. Many people thought that I would not make 61 with my array of health problems. Yes, I miss feeding my face when I am angry at my wife, my dog, the president, the mayor, the Steelers or Mets or Jets or Nets, but at least I can feel the anger, which proves my heart is still pumping.

Missing food or missing living?

Your choice. I made mine and I am glad I did.

Welcome to LBT!

The very fact that you were able to identify what your fear is all about, is a very, very good sign! I think you are way ahead of the game!

I'm not gonna sweet talk you that you won't miss food at times, but as you go down this road, you will adjust to each part. Your fill level (and restriction level) is adjustible, and is decided on by YOU. Take it nice and slow, and let your head and body adjust as you go. Deal with your emotions that surround how you use food. Get some books, write/post about it, and you'll get through it!

I predict (What? You don't see my crystal ball?) that you will do very well, if you decide on the lapband. You are aware of your potential obstacles and have asked for advice. This is more than many people are able to do. You're gonna do great!

Oh, I want to respond to your last question.

YES. It is very possible that food will no longer control you after your lapband surgery...I know that, unbelievably, food no longer controls me. I couldn't be more surprised! I can walk into the teacher's lounge and a there will be a big box of donuts, and I can look at them with complete disinterest, 95% of the time! Sounds like a science fiction novel, doesn't it?

I swear, it's true.

I am so fearful of my loss of food and if I can really survive without food in the form it now takes in my life.

I have been where you are right now but Iam here to tel lyou that you do not have to give up food...I still was able to eat the things I ate pre band with my band and I lost over 100 lbs, I just ate less of it. I never deprived myself there were just times with my fill levels I could not eat certain things but by that time I was so happy to have lost weight that it was worth it. A good fill level does take away the obsession of food, it did for me anyways. There were times I never thought of food and had to make myself eat ...what you are feeling is normal but you have come to the right place for your fears and to get support. Best of luck to you...