Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Omeprazole...anyone Take It And Able To Get Off It?

I tried the past two days to not take Omeprazole and about halfway through the day I feel like whatever I eat is stuck in my throat. I don't want to be on Omeprazole for the rest of my life (I take enough pills). Just curious if anyone has been able to stop taking it and feel ok.

PS: had my surgery in MX so I don't have a dr here who will see me bc 'they' didn't do the surgery. What a pain. I know I can email Dr. Kelly in MX...just don't feel like it right now so I thought I'd try the forum here first.

And, yes, it's not the worst thing in the world...I would just like to be able to stop taking some meds. I thought for sure I'd be off blood pressure medication by now...but nope :(

When were you sleeved? I am off my omeprazole now and bp meds. I was sleeved on May 21st.

I was on it before surgery (7/5) and my dr prescribes Pepcid twice a day after surgery. I went off the omeprazole and have been fine with the Pepcid. I had horrible reflux before surgery!!!

Had surgery on January 3rd of this year!!!! Like I said, it's not the worst thing but I had higher hopes for getting off some meds...especially BP meds.

I was on it before surgery (7/5) and my dr prescribes Pepcid twice a day after surgery. I went off the omeprazole and have been fine with the Pepcid. I had horrible reflux before surgery!!!

I don't want to replace one med for another. Sorry...I'm being a big baby right now (in a bad mood). I just want to not have this 'food stuck in throat feeling' forever.

I was sleeved 3/12 and I still have to take it. :( I have tried a few times to go off it but I have hear around the 8-10 mo mark.

I was sleeved 3/12 and I still have to take it. :( I have tried a few times to go off it but I have hear around the 8-10 mo mark.

Ok...there's some hope ;)

Thanks!!!!

I was sleeved by Dr. Kelly as well. I get my Rx from my PCP. I simply told him that I had surgery in Mexico, and the surgeon told me to take it for 6 months post op. He wrote me out a six month Rx. I figured I would readdress the situation at my six month check up.

I took it for three months and tried to stop but had terrible reflux about the 4th day after I quit. I took it for four more months and then tapered the dose down--skipped a day, took one, skipped a day, took one, then after a week or so I skipped two days and then three, then stopped altogether. I've had 2 or 3 episodes of reflux since but nothing that requires a daily PPI. Now I just take a Pepcid if I need it.

I took it for three months and tried to stop but had terrible reflux about the 4th day after I quit. I took it for four more months and then tapered the dose down--skipped a day, took one, skipped a day, took one, then after a week or so I skipped two days and then three, then stopped altogether. I've had 2 or 3 episodes of reflux since but nothing that requires a daily PPI. Now I just take a Pepcid if I need it.

I was thinking about trying something like that. I was wondering if I could break the pill in half and taper down that way instead of skipping days all together ( I truly can't make it through one day without it). Anyone take half of one?

I went to Dr. Kelly. My surgery was 7-25-12. I stopped taking in a week after surgery. They just said it was for my stomach, and I really didn't know what that meant . . .

I went to Dr. Kelly. My surgery was 7-25-12. I stopped taking in a week after surgery. They just said it was for my stomach, and I really didn't know what that meant . . .

EXACTLY!! I took what Trish gave me til it ran out. Guess I didn't notice right away (since I was feeling/experiencing other things related to the surgery) until I was able to pinpoint what the feeling was....'stuck in throat' feeling. I talked to Trish and she told me to get Omeprazole. So I've been taking it for months now and it really helps. I think I might try with half a pill starting tomorrow. I'll bring the other half with me to work just in case I need it.

I think it depends on it you had GERD prior to surgery. I did and took Dexilant 60 mcg daily..then switched to omperazole daily and it didn't help at all..my GERD came back with a vengence 3 months out. So I am back on Dexilant.

I'm taking it too! It was prescribed before my surgery, which next Thursday. I don't like it either. I didn't notice the reflux before as much. Now, I really do! Yuck!

been taking it for years - it works with no problems before and after surgery