Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reaching Your Goal Weight...what Happens After That?

My sister just called me asking me what happens after we reach our goal weights. She hadn't really thought about it and neither have I, but her boss (who knows about my surgery...all of her workplace do LOL) questioned it as she was curious.

My goal is 68kg (60kg loss) and say I keep losing weight after that...what happens? I know we can't increase the amount of food we eat, but do we just increase the calorie intake?

I haven't thought that far ahead.

TIA.

For me, weight loss slowed as I got closer to goal. I haven't had a problem maintaining my goal weight. I do snack, but when I hit the top of my bounce range (139) I slack off on Snacks till I'm closer to my goal weight. I picked a goal weight that I would be comfortable with a 10 lb. range - up to 5 lbs over and up to 5 lbs. less.

Lynda

Same here--I know my ticker says I haven't hit goal, but that's because I hit my first goal and adjusted it down again. :-) My weight loss slowed the closer I got to goal--we're able to eat more, and the type of food I could tolerate expanded, too. Like Lynda, I watch my weight--I have a 3-pound comfort zone, meaning that if I ever were to bounce to 3 pounds above goal, I would adjust my diet for a couple of days, but so far, I haven't hit that 3 pounds up mark. I have hit 2 pounds above, but I know that was water/fluid retention/hormonal stuff, and I really don't worry too much about it, and it always goes away. I do not eat junk food, so I think this might be the key to keeping the weight off. Healthy food in moderate amounts, kind of just like always-skinny people eat. I CAN tell the morning after I eat something salty--I'll be a pound over my previous day's weight from the Fluid retention. It's a strange concept, getting used to a new "steady," normal weight--I keep getting on the scale expecting--gosh, I don't really know what I'm expecting, except that it's simultaneously cool that the number is so much lower than pre-surgery and uncool in that I'm no longer losing that pound a day like in the beginning. LOL But I'll take it!!

Thanks guys! Much appreciated.

I thought I had previously posted in this forum. Obviously not. I did sign up in March though, that's probably as far as I've gotten.

I still have a loooooooooooong way to go. I'm 6 weeks post op today and still learning how to cope with the new stomach. Doing well otherwise.

This is an interesting question, for sure. What does it mean ... to reach goal?

I started at around 300 pounds and my goal was 200 (or whatever amount it takes to loose my moobs). I thought that was kind of pie-in-the-sky, but why not? Well, I started exercising a lot and was pretty anal about following the sleeve rules and hit 200 after about 5 months. I still had some belly fat, so I reset my goal to 190. That number came and went after a few more months (moobs gone, btw). So, I wondered, too, what was going to be my final weight? I eat whatever I feel like, but know that I eat pretty well. I am not a saint ... I had a bowl of Reese's PB ice cream tonight (1/2 cup).

So, what is life like? I eat whatever I want. I don't worry about my weight at all. I did weigh myself the other day and I clocked in at 175. I figure my body will find the weight it is supposed to be. I don't count my calories or my carbs. I didn't get sleeved to be a slave to a diet. Just the opposite, actually.

So, my suggestion is to not set a target that you feel you have to reach and if you don't, you're a failure. Let's not beat ourselves up. Just do the best you can to follow the guidelines and find the foods that work for you. Find an exercise routine that works for you and do it ... a lot.

You're body will find the place it needs to be and you will be heathier for it ... physically and mentally.

PdxMan...t hatnks for this post. I'm still new to my post-op life, but I have really struggled with what my post-op life will be. I want to enjoy food and not be obsessed with it. I want to make good food choices, but I don't want to eat asparagus and lentils for the rest of my life either. I want to reach a happy medium. Its great to hear that it can be done.

Great post! and I am so happy to hear that goal weight doesn't seem to be something you have to constantly work at.

I want the surgery because I am sick of weight and dieting being a constant focus in my life.

Not to step on toes here ladi, but I didnt want you to assume that diet would not be a focus post sleeve. food won't be your life, but nutrition and choices will always play a roll. Pdx is highly active. A marathon runner in fact.. way to go Pd!! So he can afford a higher cal and carb intake and maintain goal. Reaching and staying at goal will always depend on what you take in and what you burn. The sleeve isn't magical, only a tool. Just wanted you to be informed of the other side since you're presleeve. I am too btw. An educated decision is best before making the leap to avoid regrets. : ) Best wishes and good luck. Correct me if my advice isnt sound post sleeves. : )

This is an interesting question' date=' for sure. What does it mean ... to reach goal?

I started at around 300 pounds and my goal was 200 (or whatever amount it takes to loose my moobs). I thought that was kind of pie-in-the-sky, but why not? Well, I started exercising a lot and was pretty anal about following the sleeve rules and hit 200 after about 5 months. I still had some belly fat, so I reset my goal to 190. That number came and went after a few more months (moobs gone, btw). So, I wondered, too, what was going to be my final weight? I eat whatever I feel like, but know that I eat pretty well. I am not a saint ... I had a bowl of Reese's PB ice cream tonight (1/2 cup).

So, what is life like? I eat whatever I want. I don't worry about my weight at all. I did weigh myself the other day and I clocked in at 175. I figure my body will find the weight it is supposed to be. I don't count my calories or my carbs. I didn't get sleeved to be a slave to a diet. Just the opposite, actually.

So, my suggestion is to not set a target that you feel you have to reach and if you don't, you're a failure. Let's not beat ourselves up. Just do the best you can to follow the guidelines and find the foods that work for you. Find an exercise routine that works for you and do it ... a lot.

You're body will find the place it needs to be and you will be heathier for it ... physically and mentally.[/quote']

Sounds like a perfect life!! That's all I've ever wanted...2 weeks out so hopefully I'll get there!

According to my WLS surgeon, I should be transitioning to maintenance at this point, but I'm still slowly losing. I work out daily and eat pretty much whatever I want to eat, with an emphasis on Protein. Because I'm working towards building muscle, I'm trying to increase my Protein intake a bit.

I imagine that maintenance won't be much different than my daily routine now. It will still include daily exercise and meeting my Water and protein goals. I'm more concerned with keeping myself healthy than a number on a scale, but I will probably build in a little bounce weight like Meg and others have done. This is the best journey I've ever taken and I plan to enjoy the ride AND the results! :)

I am two years post op and reached my current weight at 11 months post op. I really never had a "goal" for myself and I think it helped. I understood going in that some people lose more than others and really just tried to roll with the punches. In the end I lost more than I imagined I would, but I am fine with it. I understand that statistically I will gain 10-15 pounds within five years so I don't worry about being too skinny now. I have a current BMI of 20, which is smack in the middle of being normal.

I don't really think about food at all. I eat when I am hungry and although I eat pretty healthy overall, I don't deprive myself. I can eat almost anything in moderation. The VOLUME of food I can consume at once is still small and I wouldn't want it any other way.

rdoactv,

should have been a bit more clear and I am not sure I can explain it unless you too have lived it. For 30 years i was a smoker and when I quit, I spent the first year or so still focused on how long since my last smoke, how many days, I am not a smoker blah blah..even though I was not smoking my thoughts and energy were constantly focused on smoking or not smoking, after the third year I never thought about it anymore, days and weeks would pass I would not even recall I use to be a smoker..I want to get to that place with weight..Most of the time I make healthy choices, I exercise, I eat when hungry and I am no longer consumed with thoughts of food, eating or not eating or dieting. I hope that is possible with the sleeve.

Lissa, I always enjoy your positive posts and experience. Thank you, tip

I am two years post op and reached my current weight at 11 months post op. I really never had a "goal" for myself and I think it helped. I understood going in that some people lose more than others and really just tried to roll with the punches. In the end I lost more than I imagined I would, but I am fine with it. I understand that statistically I will gain 10-15 pounds within five years so I don't worry about being too skinny now. I have a current BMI of 20, which is smack in the middle of being normal.

I don't really think about food at all. I eat when I am hungry and although I eat pretty healthy overall, I don't deprive myself. I can eat almost anything in moderation. The VOLUME of food I can consume at once is still small and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Hey there! I'm just over two years out as well. I reached my surgeon's goal in five months but I wanted a 'pad' so I chose 145. At 132 lbs I was freaking out, I couldn't stop losing, or so it seemed!! I talked to the dietitian and she said UP my calories! I added calories and gained up to 145. This summer with the vacation, family reunion and company, I'm up to 150 - 152, not horrible, but today I started cutting back on my snacking, which is HOW I was able to gain back some lbs and how I maintain. Losing was just about the easiest thing I've ever done, and maintenence is not difficult easy. Also, gaining this additional five lbs has been pretty easy as well. LOL I'm never really 'hungry' - I get what I call and 'empty' feeling. I can eat or ignore it. I do not deprive myself of anything I really want, but I am aware of everything I put in my mouth. I feel like this is how "naturally" thin people feel and how they eat. Life is good......I wanted to wear a size 8 and I wear a 6. At 145 I wear a four comfortably, but at my lowest the four jeans were loose after 45 minutes. I KNEW it was time to gain some back, who'd have ever thought that would be happening!!!! :)