Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Have A Relatively Easy Recovery Story?

Wow! You guys gave a lot of great info and encouragement. I'm really glad i joined this forum.

As pre-op I want to thank all of you guys for all the truthful posts about you surgeries. It helps so much to hear all the ones that were so uneventful , and not so painful, went easier than expected. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have had an uncomplicated walk in the park with this whole thing. It was absolutely awesomely easy and complication-free. I didn't have a hernia' date=' didn't need much pain medicine post-surgery. Was eating normal food within the first week (that's how they do it where I am) and have been fine ever since. I never lost my hunger as some people do with VSG, but that's not really been an issue anyhow. I've done really well. Good luck!![/quote']

Where did you have yours done? I have never heard of eating food in the first week. Just curious :)

Sent from my iPad using VST

Where did you have yours done? I have never heard of eating food in the first week. Just curious :)

I live outside the US (in Europe) and my program routinely scandalizes Americans to the point of them sort of yelling at me and calling my doctors "quacks" LOL (on this very site even). Yes, there are no liquids phases (except first three days post-op) and no Protein shakes/supplements involved. Though you do take Vitamins supplements as prescribed, they are also huge believers in (1) getting as much nutrition from food sources as possible from day one, and (2) keeping your digestive system active and running as normal by keeping "real food" in the system instead of liquids/purees (too much of this makes your intestines "lazy" according to them...LOL...who knows whether that's true or not). The clinic and program are run by some globally recognised experts in the bariatric field (including publishing, doing studies, etc.), so they can't be entirely wrong...

But yeah, it's very different to almost every other program I've been exposed to via the online forums. I do know of one person from another forum who had surgery in Denmark and had some very similar experiences as mine, e.g., the requirement to keep good carbs in your diet, eat balanced meals, not go too low-cal, etc.

ETA: I had very soft-cooked veal with gravy and mash + very well-cooked broccoli on day four post-op...and it was awesome. I was starving! :D

EATA: Naturally, I wasn't even allowed liquids until I passed the leak tests, though!!

I live outside the US (in Europe) and my program routinely scandalizes Americans to the point of them sort of yelling at me and calling my doctors "quacks" LOL (on this very site even). Yes' date=' there are no liquids phases (except first three days post-op) and no Protein shakes/supplements involved. Though you do take Vitamins supplements as prescribed, they are also huge believers in (1) getting as much nutrition from food sources as possible from day one, and (2) keeping your digestive system active and running as normal by keeping "real food" in the system instead of liquids/purees (too much of this makes your intestines "lazy" according to them...LOL...who knows whether that's true or not). The clinic and program are run by some globally recognised experts in the bariatric field (including publishing, doing studies, etc.), so they can't be entirely wrong...

But yeah, it's very different to almost every other program I've been exposed to via the online forums. I do know of one person from another forum who had surgery in Denmark and had some very similar experiences as mine, e.g., the requirement to keep good carbs in your diet, eat balanced meals, not go too low-cal, etc.

ETA: I had very soft-cooked veal with gravy and mash + very well-cooked broccoli on day four post-op...and it was awesome. I was starving! :D

EATA: Naturally, I wasn't even allowed liquids until I passed the leak tests, though!![/quote']

It actually makes sense. So interesting to see all the different approaches our Drs take. I have had a good recovery as well. Tomorrow will be my 2 week mark. My weight loss has not been dramatic since aurgery to say the least but I have not starved and have been able to average 900 cal per day. I started this whole process a year ago and am down 30 pounds.

I have obsessed about food and my weight and have had fears for sure. The only reason I haven't returned to work is I want to feel in control of my diet and not have any added stress right now. Good luck to u and what a great group of posts :)

My recovery was amazingly easy, too. I was sleeved in TJ on July 9, and really had no pain. I stopped accepting the pain meds two days after surgery and went shopping while I was in Mexico. I flew home four days after surgery and have been going non-stop since then. The day after I arrived home, I drove myself around and was out running errands and such for the entire day, then went to a party that night. The next day, I went to church and a party afterward. I had a doctor's visit the next day (Monday) and went back to work the following morning -- eight days after surgery.

My only complication has been that I had a sermona under a couple of the incisions. That isn't a big deal and it took care of itself (although, I did visit my doc just to be safe).

I actually have felt that it perhaps was too easy. I have zero regrets.

Omg this is wonderful and helpful information...I am scheduled on Aug 29th . Thank you all for making me a little less nervous.. EXCITED IS WHAT I AM...

Oops little less nervous.

I would say mine was super easy. The worst thing I had was the nurses trying to make me get into a bed that was too tall for me, but that was quickly fixed. The only other problem I had right after surgery was being extremely thirsty, I couldn't do my test for leaks yet and until then I couldn't have anything so I got those lemon lolly things that tasted nasty lol. I was ready to get up and walk around first thing the next morning(my surgery was in the late afternoon/early evening so i was pretty much asleep the rest of that day). I walked around as often as they let me out of my room and once I was home I felt great and could do pretty much anything except bend over to pick stuff up because my abs were sore.

I've gotten sick a total of 2 times in the 20 months since. The first time I ate 1/4 piece of bread well part of it and my body was like nope not happening (that was 4 months after surgery and I don't eat bread now by choice) and the second time was after I had a really strong drink, I hate that feeling of instant drunk so I don't drink often and someone ordered me one on my Bday and boy o boy I didn't get 1/4 of the way through and I was long gone lol.

Other than that it's been smooth sailing and easy going, but I don't tend to push it with anything. That doesn't mean I haven't had any snags with habits.

I live outside the US (in Europe) and my program routinely scandalizes Americans to the point of them sort of yelling at me and calling my doctors "quacks" LOL (on this very site even). Yes, there are no liquids phases (except first three days post-op) and no Protein shakes/supplements involved. Though you do take Vitamins supplements as prescribed, they are also huge believers in (1) getting as much nutrition from food sources as possible from day one, and (2) keeping your digestive system active and running as normal by keeping "real food" in the system instead of liquids/purees (too much of this makes your intestines "lazy" according to them...LOL...who knows whether that's true or not). The clinic and program are run by some globally recognised experts in the bariatric field (including publishing, doing studies, etc.), so they can't be entirely wrong...

EATA: Naturally, I wasn't even allowed liquids until I passed the leak tests, though!!

Wow. As someone on day 4 of a 14-day liquid diet, what I wouldn't give to have that doctor and pre op right now! Oddly enough, I'm craving a piece of grilled chicken or fish - anything solid. I've previously read about people disliking Protein shakes because they were too sweet, which I didn't understand until now. I really have to bite the bullet and get those things down! The pre op is so much harder than I thought it would be!

Thanks again to everyone for sharing your amazing "normal" stories. It helps my head. :)

My recovery was relatively easy. No pain meds after the first night. I was sore, don't get me wrong, but not in what I call "pain." had minimal nausea. Moved to purée foods 5 days out. As long as I ate slowly, no problems. My biggest problems was with figuring out when to take Vitamins so they didn't make me sick. Worst part was the fatigue. Returned to work 2.5 weeks out and had to cut out an hour early for about a week. Went home, napped, and was good to go.

Everyone has a different recovery. My doctor was surprised at how easy mine was.

My surgery went very well. I quit taking pain meds the first day, and I was up and walking around the evening of my surgery. I haven't had any nausea or vomiting since I've had my surgery, which is exactly one year today. It was difficult to get the 64 ounces of Fluid in at first. I think it took me several weeks to be able to do it.

Let me pile on. This is a great thread. Given the way it has exploded, I think it points out that best case is pretty common.

I had an easy surgery exept it was hard to pass gas because I was constipated (make sure you don't have one in the chamber when you go into surgery). After that everything was a breeze.

I took a week off from work but did not need it. Zero pain, nausea or hearburn. I was walking two miles, 4 days post op. I was back to working a 60 hour week 10 days after the surgery. I get my Protein and my Water every day without much drama. I am starting to renew my social life (without beer). I am eating out occasionally to feel more normal (sashimi, Soups and seafood).

I just had my 4 week post-op visit today. I am down 45 lbs since I started my pre-op diet 6 weeks ago. That is almost half way to my goal. I am taking my calories up to 1,000 a day.

I am off Cholestoral and blood-pressure medicine. CPAP machine is in the trash. Leaving for a trip around the world next week. No worries.

I also have to add -- I never had any problem eating or drinking' date=' didn't have to force either one. It's been easy for me to drink a lot of fluids since day one, and eating has also been a breeze. Apart from dry heaves right after surgery, I've not thrown up/had slimes/foamies/etc. at all in the past 18 months since surgery. I've barely even ever had indigestion or things I would normally experience pre-op. Oddly, I've had an easier time stomach-wise than I had previously. :huh:

That said, I haven't escaped Constipation and related issues. But easily manageable with OTC stuff like Miralax, Colace.

I wasn't tired or dopey after a couple of days post-op and never felt like I couldn't e.g. stay awake and alert all day. I was off work for five weeks, but also just cos that's how they roll here. But I would have probably not had too much of a problem working after 2-3 weeks post-op.

NB: I didn't go through a period of 'starvation' or ketosis, b/c I've always included carbs in my diet (again, required here LOL) and I got up to 1000 cals per day asap, and then stayed at 1200-1500 throughout the losing period, when I was also not yet exercising heavily -- so I probably had enough calories to keep my energy levels up. ?[/quote']

Wow!....I am hoping for a recovery like this!! Thanks for sharing! I hope mine goes this well.