Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Super Nurses With Sleeves (Support Group)

Had my surgery Wednesday. Home today feeling better than I expected drinking fluids walking. It was a very good experience.

Congrats nurse Ghana we sure did deserve it!

Thanks sleeved sister♥

Hi I'm Lora I'm an RN in Corpus Christi Texas; I do labor and delivery; I'm being sleeved march 20, I'm on my pre-op diet now and can't wait for my day!!!

Hi everyone' date=' I am a RN, for 7 years now..... I did ICU, Long Term, Cardio/Pulmonary, Dialysis and for the past 5 years have been in Home Care where I am the clinical supervisor....I also started out as a CNA years ago and I have never worked so hard in my life!!..CNAs are worth GOLD!!!...I am getting sleeved in Tijuana Mexico on August the 21st and I can not begin to describe my excitement!!.....My highest weight ever was 247, I have done every diet in the book. I just lost quite a bit with HCG but gained most back, I weighed this am and I am now at 224...goal is 140....I start preop this Saturday...I am ready to start living again. Everyone says "You arent that big"....They are NOT living in my skin!,,I have not dated in years because I am so uncomfortable in my skin, I run from cameras and everyday is just pure hell to me.....I have not had any second thoughts about this, no jitters, nothing but EXCITEMENT!!!![/quote']

I feel ya; everyone keeps telling me I don't need the sleeve; I want to scream I'm 223 lbs with high blood pleasure; I also want to get down to 140

Hi I'm Lora I'm an RN in Corpus Christi Texas; I do labor and delivery; I'm being sleeved march 20' date=' I'm on my pre-op diet now and can't wait for my day!!![/quote']

I am also march 20, are being sleeved in us or mx

I am also march 20' date=' are being sleeved in us or mx[/quote']

We will do great!!! Will keep in contact so we can share experience with each other

Hi Everyone! I'm Anita and I have been a nurse for 19 years this year. The last 13 years have been in newborn/level II nursery. I LOVE my job! My battle with my weight started after the birth of my second child. He was diagnosed with cerebral palsy at age 4 months. His first 8 months he cried 24/7, sleeping only 10-20 minutes a couple times a day. He started having seizures at 8 months. At that time he went on ACTH injections. For the first time in his life, he started sleeping. Anyway, when I came out of "the fog" as I call it, I had gained up to about 240lbs. The next 15 years were centered around his constant care. I did attend nursing school during this time. Nursing was my refuge. He has been gone for 9 years now, but the weight refuses to go away. So, I am now going to take care if me! My husband and older son are very supportive of my decision. I will be sleeved on March 18th and am anxiously awaiting the day! It is nice to find a forum with other nurse minded people! I can't wait to step over to the other side!

I just found this forum. This is what I need. I'm an RN and have been a Case Manager, for a small hospital, since last August. Prior to that worked ICU, Nursing Home, even owned and operated a Board and Lodging Home for 5 years.

I had surgery in Mexico 11/2011. Lost 55# right away. Then started with alcohol slowly, then it turned to every night. My weight loss stalled, and gained 8# from March '12 to Feb'13. Have been dry since Feb4th. Lost 5# so far. Nice to fell normal again. I am so surprised that I had a problem with alcohol, esp. with my job and seeing the devastation that alcohol causes in peoples lives. I'm on the right track now, still get cravings but having no alcohol in the house sure helps.

I hope I can help others and we help each other on this forum. Linda

I just found this forum. This is what I need. I'm an RN and have been a Case Manager' date=' for a small hospital, since last August. Prior to that worked ICU, Nursing Home, even owned and operated a Board and Lodging Home for 5 years.

I had surgery in Mexico 11/2011. Lost 55# right away. Then started with alcohol slowly, then it turned to every night. My weight loss stalled, and gained 8# from March '12 to Feb'13. Have been dry since Feb4th. Lost 5# so far. Nice to fell normal again. I am so surprised that I had a problem with alcohol, esp. with my job and seeing the devastation that alcohol causes in peoples lives. I'm on the right track now, still get cravings but having no alcohol in the house sure helps.

I hope I can help others and we help each other on this forum. Linda[/quote']

Hang in there Linda you can do this; if you look up drinking everyday after surgery the stats are high and my friend tells because people can't eat, I'm glad you found the problem any was able to move on. Congrats keep up the good work

Hi I am an RN working on an inpatient rehab unit at a hospital in southeast MO. I was sleeved 2/28/13. I have been a nurse for 7 years. I also am the nurse educator for our floor and fill in for case management when needed. Love this group!!

Linda, I was just taking care of a pt that was sleeved 5 years ago and was going through severe DT's when he decided to quit drinking. He ended up in my ICU intubated for 2 days. When he started coming around we talked for a while, said it started slowly because he was bored and didnt have anything to do with his time in the evenings and weekends and then it gradually escalated to a bottle of vodka a day. Good for you that you recognized it...I can see this being a problem for us nurses when we get home after a bad day and cant eat bad food to self medicate....so we turn to alcohol instead. Like I said good for you, thank yoi for sharing.

taurabird- today was the first day that I did not think about alcohol and "needing" a drink when I got home from work. Still dry, and by the grace of God I will stay that way. I see there is a 12 step support group that I will checkout. For this group It's about our bursing careers.

For the last 8 weeks I have taken on the roll of "social worker" and case manager, have been extremly busy. Today was day one for a new "Social Worker" can't wait to catch up on my paperwork. And our hospital changing to EMR electronic Medical Record- no it's not epic it's Medi-tech 6 one care. Oh Boy. Life is interesting. One day at a time. Linda

Linda, being busy is one of the things I love about being a nurse....it keeps me on my toes. But on my off days I get bored, must be my adhd, I find that I eat as a way to reduce the boredom. I really appr3ciate your post because I can see that I am at a high risk for trading my food addiction for a different addiction once sleeved. I am now starting to think about starting therapy to get a grip on it before it starts....also I realize that I need a hobby for my "off" time because my old hobby "eating" is going to be gone soon.

Btw, I just realized I didnt congratulate you on your sobriety!!! I am very happy for you and I know that we nurses are very strong willed once we put our minds to accomplishing a goal. Keep your eye on the prize....our health....and staying out of an ICU bed, lol...

Hi Ladies and Gents....

I have been a Nurse for 20 yrs I work in the Emergency Room and recently made the transition to ED Case Manager

Sleeved at my Hospital on 1/28/2013

I took off 4 weeks and thought 5 or 6 would have been better. The first week back I was very tired but my hemaglobin was low too.

I wish you LUCK....I dont think we are ever fully prepared for this journey....

Nice to have you all to talk too...

Hey Jana and fellow nurses!!!! Add me to the group!!! I am a RN specializing in psychiatry. I have been a nurse for 15 years! I have lot of co-workers who have had WLS. Last year a co-worker I didn't know started talking about her 100lb weight loss. We were in the cafeteria and she had a cup of fruit and I had placed an order for PANCAKES!!! She just started sharing her journey right there, and she told me her husband had the surgery also. He was also doing great! That conversation got me thinking, I scheduled my WL seminar (for the second time) and went in December of 2012, I am now waiting for my surgery DATE!!!!! the first time I went to the seminar they only talked about 2 surgeries "The Lap Band" and "The Bypass". Well I knew a few people that had the band and were struggling, and I was afraid of the bypass. The second seminar to my surprise there was another option The VERTICAL SLEEVE!!!! Hopefully my SAVIOR!!!! As nurses we must be an example of health as best we can I believe, so this surgery will give me the best chance of doing that since ALL OF THE OTHER METHODS I HAVE USE IN THE PAST WERE EPIC FAILS!!!!!!!!! Good luck to everyone!!! ;)