Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Super Nurses With Sleeves (Support Group)

Hi, my name is Macy. I am a senior in Nursing school with an expected graduation date of December 2nd. Looking at mid to late summer for an estimated surgery date. I am not sure how it will work with my school schedule, so I am weighing the possibility of waiting until after graduation too.

So the hospital I will be getting my sleeve is the one I worked at for 7 years. I haven't worked there in about three years but mist everyone is still there. The bariatric floor combined with my old unit. Digestive disease. I am very uneasy about seeing all my old coworkers and them knowing about it. Im still friends on Facebook with many of them. What to do?

Not much you can do if thats where insurance puts you id be uncomfortable too but if theyre in healthcare it should really not require alot of exlanation ive told twoature wen in jospitalvi work at i told the town crier anyone wants to quiz me about my time off we can go across to hr hippa hippa ? But dont let it stop you from what you jave to do! Good luck!

Hi Tammy, I'm retired from hospital nursing and was a prison RN for 11 years. I'm 65 . I was sleeved 5 months ago. Lost 60 lbs so far. I also had bilateral knee replacements 17 months ago. Everything is better since the weight loss! I've had no problems and go to Water exercises 3x a week.

Hi all. Eastern Washington GI nurse. Sleeved January 7th. Got RA 10 years ago and added afew pounds every year. Very tired after work, so knew I couldn't change my RA or my age (49) but I could change my weight (God help me). Went to look into lapband in Seattle and found out about the sleeve. Insurance wouldn't cover any weightloss surgery. DH asked how much it would cost, then said "We could do that". Best gift ever. 10 weeks and 30 pounds later. The hardest decision was whether to tell work. Small department so I told them. They have been curious and supportive. Hopefully this will give me years more to do what I love!!

How is every one doing? Today at work spent 3 hours in the ER trying to get a pt to a Nursing Home on an emergency basis. Not easy. Put me behind in my work. Ended up with 1/2 hour OT. Just prior to getting that call ate some cauliflower bites w/ pizza sauce, boy did the acid flare up. Glad I bring prn meds to work. I think it was the tomatos. Oh well, feeling good now will be going square dancing tonight. The theme is St. Patricks so I will be wearing green with my jeans.

Lets keep this thread going.

13 days and feeling fine! That's fabulous! :) hope to follow in your foot steps!

I have my psych/nutrition appts tomorrow' date=' then I get everything submitted to my insurance. I'm planning on a tentative April 25th date. With that said, I'd like to be back to work by May 13th at the latest. Perhaps my question to you is, knowing the demands of our career....if you had to go back to work tomorrow, could you physically do it?

I appreciate the insight! :)[/quote']

Hi

My physician is conservative for the lifting restriction.

I was told no lifting for 6 weeks. So for a busy ER that require constant lifting heavy I could not

Go back yet. You want to Plan wise and give yourself a little bit more time to Pamper your self

And more. plan extra time go back when you

Feel up to it and your physician agree.

It is Major Surgery.

Good luck and Blessing

So the hospital I will be getting my sleeve is the one I worked at for 7 years. I haven't worked there in about three years but mist everyone is still there. The bariatric floor combined with my old unit. Digestive disease. I am very uneasy about seeing all my old coworkers and them knowing about it. Im still friends on Facebook with many of them. What to do?

It may be uncomfortable, but you know no one an explanation. I admit....all my coworkers at the doctor's office where I work know. I'm proud to have made this decision to be as healthy as I can. You may be surprised and find support you didn't expect! Just hold your head up and be proud of yourself! Good luck on your journey :)

Hello, I'm Colby. I'm in nursing school and I've just started to insurance process.

:)

Hello fellow nurses!! ???? I am a Home Health care nurse & I am still in the process of insurance verification. I'm told with my insurance I shouldn't have a problem being approved. I'm very anxious about asking for time off of work Because I'm not sure when they'll be able to do the procedure. It's a waiting game I guess. Anyone have any information on how long it is before you can drive after the procedure? It seems like most people take about two weeks off of work. Thanks!! I'm so glad this site is here!!

I am Jeanne, an RN for 18 years. Currently working in Amb surgery for Urology doing lithotripsy and prostate procedures. Had my sleeve in Dec 2012 at age 49. This was the best thing I have done for my health. Just turned 50 but I feel like I am 30. Exercise is now my new addiction. Down 58 lbs, and am a happy camper. I never have been able to lose weight like this before. No doubt you must be determined and follow the plan but it has been amazing for me.

Hi- My name is Jan and I am a retired RN, I worked mainly L&D, PP, and taught prenatal ed classes. I have been overweight since my last preg. 27 years ago and have been having problems with yo-yo dieting and various exercises since. I do love Water aerobics. I have done much research on the VSG and think that it would greatly help me with my Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol problems. The weight has caused me knee and back problems which interfere with further exercising. I have been granted approval from my insurance company and have a surgical date of March 27th. I am looking forward to hearing from all of you and how you are doing. I wish for all of you the very best and a speedy recovery!

Hello my fellow nurses and future nurses. I'm 24 and I've been an RN for about a year and a half..and I love it! I'm in the process of getting sleeved soon..possibly late april.I have my psych evaluation for insurance approval on Tuesday this week. I'm getting very nervous..because ofcourse I find myself reading all about the complications forum. Anyone from the south texas area? I hope I won't regret this life changing decision..