Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many of you started smoking after surgery?

I heard some people start to speed weight loss.

Wow, no offense here but that is absolutely obsurd! Why would anyone want to take such a drastic measure (VSG) to get healthy just to start smoking? I have never heard of that, but I am completely shocked anyone would consider that.

Now, I do understand if you were a smoker before surgery and had a hard time breaking the addiction, but to just start smoking is sheer craziness in my opinion.

Just my 2 cents...

I agree with UTGal99. For me, I was a smoker before surgery. I still smoke once or twice a day, but I intend on quitting. It is bad for me and I am trying to change my life. I haven't quit right now because I am having such a hard time mourning the loss of food and pop. Now isn't a good time for me to take away nicotine. However, once I get my mind right and adjust to my new lifestyle, those nasty things will be GONE! I don't care if my weight loss slows because I don't smoke. It will add more years to my life.

We only get ONE BODY in this lifetime. That says enough. Who would want to hurt their bodies like that on purpose AND after a major surgery?

WHAT??? I am a smoker who is struggling to quit. Third times the charm. Couldn't imagine STARTING after surgery.

Smoking doesn't suppress appetite. It doesn't increase metabolism. There is SUGAR in the cigarette. Yup. In the tobacco, on the paper, on the filter. Ever wonder why it leaves that brown spot in the ash tray? It caramel. Literally burnt sugar. so how does decreased lung function with sugar spikes stimulate weight loss. That is such an outdated myth iris laughable.

Nicotiene isn't as addictive as the habit or "ritual" of smoking. Those "cravings and withdraws" have the same exact sensation of hypoglycemia. So if they start, what will they replace the habit with? The only motion that mimics the act of smoking is, yes you guessed it, eating. All the bad toxins in the smoke...

Sorry, but why the h-e-double hockey stick would someone use that as a weight loss tool? Take up Zumba or yoga for faster weight loss. Add in lots of Water, and that is WAY better then inhaling tar, arsenic, sugar, and every other poison used in there.

I quit a month before my surgery. I'm almost three months smoke free. I feel fabulous. I'm making it a goal to stay smoke free as my surgeon scared the crap out of me about it, talking about it giving you ulcers, and its not nice to have ulcers is a small stomache. I really didn't care how bad it was for me before I knew I had to quit for surgery. I loved smoking. I quit using the patch and sucking on suckers. I'm not even wearing a patch anymore (or using suckers), when I came home from surgery I was so miserable I forgot to put on a patch...Lol

What's so sad is the nicotine had been out my system, but my mind still automatically goes to "I need to light up" when I've been stressed out lately. But I don't light up, I just cry or jump up and down, stomp my feet, and curse. I attribute it my killer mood swings I'm having

What's so sad is the nicotine had been out my system' date=' but my mind still automatically goes to "I need to light up" when I've been stressed out lately. But I don't light up, I just cry or jump up and down, stomp my feet, and curse. I attribute it my killer mood swings I'm having[/quote']

Congrats on 3 months smoke free!!! The mental addiction is the hardest part to kick. Best of luck and hope smoking is a distant memory for you!

I'm sorry, but that is the absolute stupidest thing I have ever heard of. Honestly, anyone who does that is just asking for problems.

Smoking delays healing. As an RN i have seen many lung cancer and emphysema patients who lose lots of weight. So I guess you can say it aids in weight loss...so does death.