Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dill Pickles.... I'm Probably In The Minority Here

Ok, so it seems I can rarely do anything in moderation. Since being sleeved, I'm somewhat lactose intolerant which actually helps me stay away from what used to be my BFF (ok, maybe not - but awfully close)... meaning chocolate felt like my BFF.

I have developed a taste for crunchy / salty things in the past several months. In the past month and a half or so, I have really started craving whole zesty dill pickles in a really bad way. I slice the whole dill pickle usually in 4 spears, then fold a piece of cheese in half and eat it like a little sandwich. I would add a cracker to that, but know that that's even MORE sodium.

It's gotten worse, I went through a whole jar of of pickles in 2 days and then this morning I saw the impact. I'm up 2#. Yes, probably just Water weight, but still... There wasn't anything else I ate that could have caused that.

I am gonna have to go cold turkey on the pickles for awhile. It's crazy!!!!

Oh, and no I'm not preggers......

Me too! I am craving savory/spicy things. I love pickles but I only have one spear or two a week.

Wow!!! I didn't think pickles would move the scale up like that. Sheesh!!

I do like pickles. I'd say just enjoy yourself in moderation. You'll be fine!

Im very new to this...

But,

If Peanut Butter is allowed...

OMG, try those pickles with some Peanut Butter :lol:

IMABear

Wow!!! I didn't think pickles would move the scale up like that. Sheesh!!

I do like pickles. I'd say just enjoy yourself in moderation. You'll be fine!

I really don't think its a calorie thing. I think its a Water retention issue from all the sodium. And, as I mentioned it seems I can't do much in moderation because the consumption of the dill pickles has steadily increased to the point where that's all I want to eat. So gonna have to go cold turkey for awhile I think.

Im very new to this...

But,

If Peanut Butter is allowed...

OMG, try those pickles with some Peanut Butter :lol:

IMABear

I'm going COLD TURKEY. I also stay away from PB because it is equally addicting to me. I found that out way early after surgery. I can't stay away from PB once the jar is opened so it doesn't come in the house.

Pickles are one of my favorites and so to keep it in control, I buy the sandwich thins by Claussen. I pack one in my lunch to have either with a piece of cheese or sometimes a slice of turkey, etc. That seems to satisfy my craving. Why is it that the things that taste really good, like pickles, have very low calories, but nasty sodium. Same with olives for me, so I try and keep them out of the house. The good thing, at least right now is that I still can't eat a lot (I'm 3 months out) and I still stick with Protein first, so I get full before I could go back to the pickle jar :)

I really don't think its a calorie thing. I think its a Water retention issue from all the sodium. And, as I mentioned it seems I can't do much in moderation because the consumption of the dill pickles has steadily increased to the point where that's all I want to eat. So gonna have to go cold turkey for awhile I think.

Hi former_vbg! I don't know much about your situation other than what you've got in your signature. But I do see that you've been VERY successful with your sleeve! Congratulations on a job well done, and being an inspiration to those of us still on that road.

I wanted to point out a couple of cautionary things. You mention in your post that you've "developed a taste for crunchy / salty things in the past several months". That's okay in moderation, but as you've identified, it's not easy for you to control.

One of the problems many of us obese (formerly obese in your case!) patients share is food addiction and the inability to manage our cravings. You've clearly done VERY well in managing things to get to your goal. Now is not the time to let that self-control slip away from you! You can indulge your love of salty foods "once in a while", but as you mention, it sounds like going cold-turkey with the pickles will help prevent you from going down a slippery slope.

The sodium not only contributes to Water retention and weight gain, it also stresses your kidneys, creates an electrolyte imbalance in your entire body, and increases the work your heart must do (greater resistance in your blood vessels means having to pump harder to distribute blood - a classic cause of high blood pressure!).

I'm not saying a day or two of pickle-fixation is going to create any long-term problems......and we all have cravings we occasionally need to fill. Heck, we're only human!

Just keep an eye on yourself and your behaviors and nip them in the bud if they look like they could become a problem.

FYI, I also love pickles, but I usually have 1-2 a week with my lunch and that's it. Luckily my current fixation is with sashimi and since it's all Protein, I'm okay (LOL). I go VERY easy on the soy sauce and wasabi.

Congrats again on doing fantastic with your sleeve and getting to goal!

Just make sure if you are going to eat pickles drink extra water! Flush the salt out. I mean you could be choosing something worse. Maybe take a day off and pound the Water. Should come right off.

Also Peanut Butter is OK. Its good Protein. Try eating it with an apple. Thats what my NUT suggested. At least until you can eat raw veggies. I have one more month to go for that. But then I plan on eating it on celery.

Thank you for the kind words. I keep bouncing up and down 3, sometimes 5# all within my final goal weight. You are right all that sodium is not good for many reasons.

I just have to learn to stay away from things when it becomes that slippery slope. I am single so I can easily control what goes in the house/ what doesn't. I have an extremely hectic schedule nonetheless, and so I have to be careful about not defaulting to things I shouldn't eat and for the most part I do well.

Other times I have had cravings for the pepperoni slices and that's not bad because it's solid Protein, but it also has a fair amount of sodium although I don't think as high as pickles.

Thanks again!

Hi former_vbg! I don't know much about your situation other than what you've got in your signature. But I do see that you've been VERY successful with your sleeve! Congratulations on a job well done, and being an inspiration to those of us still on that road.

I wanted to point out a couple of cautionary things. You mention in your post that you've "developed a taste for crunchy / salty things in the past several months". That's okay in moderation, but as you've identified, it's not easy for you to control.

One of the problems many of us obese (formerly obese in your case!) patients share is food addiction and the inability to manage our cravings. You've clearly done VERY well in managing things to get to your goal. Now is not the time to let that self-control slip away from you! You can indulge your love of salty foods "once in a while", but as you mention, it sounds like going cold-turkey with the pickles will help prevent you from going down a slippery slope.

The sodium not only contributes to Water retention and weight gain, it also stresses your kidneys, creates an electrolyte imbalance in your entire body, and increases the work your heart must do (greater resistance in your blood vessels means having to pump harder to distribute blood - a classic cause of high blood pressure!).

I'm not saying a day or two of pickle-fixation is going to create any long-term problems......and we all have cravings we occasionally need to fill. Heck, we're only human!

Just keep an eye on yourself and your behaviors and nip them in the bud if they look like they could become a problem.

FYI, I also love pickles, but I usually have 1-2 a week with my lunch and that's it. Luckily my current fixation is with sashimi and since it's all Protein, I'm okay (LOL). I go VERY easy on the soy sauce and wasabi.

Congrats again on doing fantastic with your sleeve and getting to goal!

Just make sure if you are going to eat pickles drink extra water! Flush the salt out. I mean you could be choosing something worse. Maybe take a day off and pound the Water. Should come right off.

Also Peanut Butter is OK. Its good Protein. Try eating it with an apple. Thats what my NUT suggested. At least until you can eat raw veggies. I have one more month to go for that. But then I plan on eating it on celery.

Yeah, I mentioned earlier, I can't have PB in the house- period. Once the jar is open, I can't control myself from not consuming way too much.

Yeah, I mentioned earlier, I can't have PB in the house- period. Once the jar is open, I can't control myself from not consuming way too much.

I know the feeling! It was just suggested to me today at my 3 month post op about the apple and pb. Up until this point I have avoided buying it myself because I'm afraid of being out of control with it. I also live alone. But I went and bought it. I figured i'd give it a try. I'm worried about it might be a weight gaining food for me.

I also bought pickles today too! lol!

I know the feeling! It was just suggested to me today at my 3 month post op about the apple and pb. Up until this point I have avoided buying it myself because I'm afraid of being out of control with it. I also live alone. But I went and bought it. I figured i'd give it a try. I'm worried about it might be a weight gaining food for me.

I also bought pickles today too! lol!

Too funny... Yeah, lots of things are absolutely fine if not GOOD for us, but like anything without moderation- it can go the other direction. I just have to be super vigilant about foods that trigger these addictive tendencies.... and sadly pickles is turning into one. I'm sure I will re-introduce them again, cuz I have loved pickles ALL my life!!! LOL

I want to eat hummus with corn chips!

I want to eat hummus with corn chips!

that was another one she said today! I bought that too. Not corn chips though. She said wheat thins but I bought reduced fat cheese-its. I compared the nutrition info and they were better and smaller so I can take more bites.