Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newby with questions

Hi, I am new to the group and to researching this. I have a few questions I hope might be answered by those of you who have experience (and guts, I am scared just thinking about it!).<O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:p

I have a 1 year old son and I am wondering how long after the surgery would I need help with him? Would I not be able to lift him

Would it be impossible to keep the surgery to yourself (i.e. I dont want to explain it to all 50 moms in our playgroup, my husband's office, our neighbors, the grocery store workers, etc. I just think its personal information)? Did anyone keep it to close friends and family only or does everyone notice your new eating and weight loss?

Has anyone had it done with a BMI in the low 50s?<O:p</O:p

Are the seminars required by doctors? Again, I just feel strongly that it is personal for me and no way would I do an seminar.

<O:pDoes anyone have a favorite doctor in Houston Texas?

Has anyone had a husband (or wife) who was not for the idea? How did you deal with that? (my husband is thin and met me when I was overweight, but not really big like now. He just thinks very bad about WLS and wont hear of it...but I need help so bad and I dont think he understands how bad I feel)

Thanks so much. I have been so inspired by the before and after photos, it really seems like it has to be worth it!<O:p></O:p>

Carol :couch2:

I have a 1 year old son and I am wondering how long after the surgery would I need help with him? Would I not be able to lift him

When I had my surgery, my son was 1 year old. I didn't pick him up for about 2 weeks after, my husband picked up the slack.

Welcome to LBT! Good luck in your journey!

:welcome2:

I think that you can get away without telling everyone you know about your WLS -- and the recovery with the lapband is so short (you aren't in the hospital for 7 or 10 days like with other WLS) that nobody needs to know that you had it done. You will maybe get questions about your new eating habits though.

I'm sorry that your husband isn't supportive -- send him over here! There is tons of research on this board about the benefits of WLS, and the success that people have with it as opposed to traditional methods of weight loss.

I didn't go to a seminar, but my Dr. (in Mexico) did have me watch an EmmiSuccess series about the lapband which I found really helpful and informative.

Good luck!

Hi Carol,

I am two days post op and feeling okay. Not great. I am home from the hospital and doing light stuff. I cooked for my kids, put a little laundry away. That's about it today. You will do fine. You just can't lift anything heavy including your child for the first few weeks.

As far as telling others, the only people who knew were my husband, mom and best friend. I told everyone else that I had to have a hiatal hernia repaired. That seemed to work. Again, it's your personal choice who you choose to tell. If you don't want anyone to know, then don't say anything. I preferred not telling people b/c I don't want everyone looking at the way I'm eating or asking a lot of questions. I felt this was very personal and I chose to keep this part of my life private. This will be a difficult and challenging journey for me but one I'm definetely up for. I have many many years of terrible eating habits that I have acquired that must change. It's difficult enough to deal with that. Having others knowing really is something I'm not ready for at this time.

At first my husband was not supportive. I asked him to come to the surgeon's seminar and from there his attitude did change.

Good luck with your decision and Welcome to LBT.

I wasn't allowed to lift more than 10 pounds for 6 weeks. If people notice your eating habits have changed, just tell them you are just watching what you eat. My husband was definately against a bypass for me, but was very supportive of the band. Get your husband educated. Best of luck.

No, as you are still healing lifting him would risk popping stiches or slipping the band till everything settles, but theres no reason you guys couldn't cuddle up on the floor or in the bed.

Would it be impossible to keep the surgery to yourself (i.e. I dont want to explain it to all 50 moms in our playgroup, my husband's office, our neighbors, the grocery store workers, etc. I just think its personal information)? Did anyone keep it to close friends and family only or does everyone notice your new eating and weight loss?

I have kept the surgery to myself. One of my friends found out due to internet browsing and I used to use my name instead of a sn. It's hard to hide for me though, the success with weightloss and occasionally having to get up and walk around or go to the bathroom. Or even just how little I am eating now, a few friends have questioned it but I have never told them about it.

Has anyone had it done with a BMI in the low 50s?Mine was in the upper 30's I believe...I cashed paid though so that makes a difference <O:p</O:p

Are the seminars required by doctors? Again, I just feel strongly that it is personal for me and no way would I do an seminar.My doctor didn't not require a seminar.

thanks everyone. I am a bit disheartened though. My husband could take a week off work to take care of the baby, but after that, I would be on my own...and there is no way to care for a baby without picking them up.

Perhaps it wasnt meant to be. Thanks for all the info!

Carol

I had my surgery in Mexico and traveled home with my husband in a wheelchair. I lifted luggage from the flights and set them in his chair. We had some help with drivers but back in the states I had to lift the wheelchair and load it and luggage into our vehicle. I was just real careful. I am doing fine. Don't give up. I was also back to work on Monday after surgery on previous Thursday. I don't know how much the baby weighs but with your husbands help it might be doable. Good luck!

Carol I just sent you an e-mail then went and read your orginal post. Tell your hubby to get with it. There are all kind of things that happen to us for being over weight,just ask me. I am 62 and had tried every diet known to man and to no avail. I researched the band for four months and had it done and am only twenty pounds from goal. I am off almost all the meds I was on and was very close to being diabetic. This band is the most wonderful tool that has ever been invented for us little fatties.:couch2:

I had my Lap band six months ago. My recommendation in the HOuston area or ANYWHERE in the country is Dr Felix Spiegel. My recovery time was only 1 day. I had my procedure on a MOnday & was back to work that Wed. As far as what my limitations were, just NO heavy lifting the first 30 days. He conducts FREE seminars 2X a week & every other Saturday. Call his office & see what is convenient for you. Or if you have access to the internet visit his website @

WWW.FELIXSPIEGELMD.COM I understand all of his staff has been banded & they are very professional & personable staff. 713-960-0003.

:clap2:

I had my Lap band six months ago. My recommendation in the HOuston area or ANYWHERE in the country is Dr Felix Spiegel. My recovery time was only 1 day. I had my procedure on a MOnday & was back to work that Wed. As far as what my limitations were, just NO heavy lifting the first 30 days. He conducts FREE seminars 2X a week & every other Saturday. Call his office & see what is convenient for you. Or if you have access to the internet visit his website @

WWW.FELIXSPIEGELMD.COM I understand all of his staff has been banded & they are very professional & personable staff. 713-960-0003.

:clap2:

Thanks so much. Did they give a weight which is considered heavy lifting? My son is 20lbs.

You all are so helpful!

Carol

When I had my surgery, my son was 1 year old. I didn't pick him up for about 2 weeks after, my husband picked up the slack.

Welcome to LBT! Good luck in your journey!

:welcome2:

My daughter was 10 months old when I had my surgery.

My advice is to just tell the important people. Everyone else can think you are just on a wonderful diet. :couch2:

Welcome to the board!

The baby is 1 now, but you could start researching now, finding the right surgeon, working the insurance game, and before long the baby will be 16 months old and able to get around better with less lifting on your part.

My DH was VERY reluctant. I kept bringing up the subject and sharing information I learned. It would not be his choice for me to have the surgery, but he is supportive of my choice.

Good luck with your journey.

I'm not sure about the lifting thing. I would say the first few days you shouldn't be lifting your baby too much but after that, just take it easy and lift carefully.

As far as telling people...I am almost four months out and still the only people that know are my parents, boyfriend and best friend. The hardest part about keeping it quiet was the liquid and mushy stage in the beginning. I just told my coworkers that I was trying a "smoothie" type thing. I didn't have a lot of restriction until my second fill last month so it wasn't very hard to hide it. Now, I really can only eat a little bit at a time and sometimes need to get up, walk around and wait for "that feeling" to pass. I am just careful with my selections and tell anyone that asks that I'm just not very hungry.

To anyone that wants to know how I'm losing my weight, I simply say--" I eat less and take my time at meals." And that is no lie.

Good luck!!

Guest Sew N Sew

Hello CPBABY! I've been surfing the web, joined 2 band sites and have gotten sooo much pre-band support. I'm going to a seminar on 9/11 (ironic huh?) Please don't drop this so soon into your search! Part of the journey is the investigating, gathering of info, getting support, and that in itself feels like an accomplishment!

As for lifting your child, a week of your husbands help sounds like enough from what I hear. I have a 26 yr. old Developmentally Disabled child with uncontrolled seizures (Gran-mal, Peti-mal and lots of Alls!) My husband will take time off work to get our child up in the mornings, off to the day program then I will be on my own. We have learned different ways to lift, roll or scoot her when need be, so I know you could figure out alternative ways of lifting. Maybe you could keep things on a lower level for a while? Try the seminar together? Blessings to you and your family, hang in there and do what you need to for yourself!

Sincerely,

Gael