Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Advice To All Newly Post-Op Sleevers...

yeah, Im almost 5 months out and things are getting loose. I dont do much weight training because i have sciatica pain in both legs. Ive even slowed down on my walking because it aggrivates it. I know a Tummy Tuck is in need, but now the boobies, buttock and legs are starting to be in trouble too! lol

Knowledge is meant to be shared and passed on. The same way I was taught will be the same way I will teach' date=' too bad I couldn't get you all into the gym for 1 day and show you some tricks or the trade front and center[/quote']

Why don't you do YouTube videos? I know that that is what frustrates me I the gym. I never really know what to do. It's been since high school (16 years ago) that I actually used machines in the gym. I love to learn and I definitely have a better frame of mind for it than I did then. Would love help.

Why don't you do YouTube videos? I know that that is what frustrates me I the gym. I never really know what to do. It's been since high school (16 years ago) that I actually used machines in the gym. I love to learn and I definitely have a better frame of mind for it than I did then. Would love help.

Well, because I don't have a video recorder, they won't allow me to bring one I to the gym anyway (privacy issues) plus I don't support YouTube

Ahhhhh. Well it would be awesome if you could have. But advice on here is still gold. So I'm sure we will still appreciate it.

Well' date=' because I don't have a video recorder, they won't allow me to bring one I to the gym anyway (privacy issues) plus I don't support YouTube[/quote']

Seriously Jimmy make a DVD! One just for sleevers! A home one for people who can't afford gym membership and then one for people who go to the gym but can't afford a trainer. Maybe a school would let you use their facilities and film when no one is around. I've been reading these posts and you are helping so many people! Im a lucky one because I could afford a trainer. I trained for five months before surgery and picked back up shortly after, I've lost 40 lbs and I have no sags so far!!! Bless your heart!! And bless Jason my trainer!

I am 3 weeks post op and 46 pounds down. I'm still in a lot of discomfort on my right side. I can't wait to find a personal trainer in my area that I can afford. Love all the advice thanks!

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using VST

After 3 weeks of being sleeved' date=' especially if you have a lot to lose, start going to the gym IMMEDIATELY. You DON'T have to start cardio but you DHOULD start a weight training regimen. This will greatly assist in the saggy and loose skin problem. TRUST ME. As a trainer, one of my clients is 44 years old and weighed 402 lbs. He had the sleeve almost a year and change now and I realized after losing all that weight he has little to no loose or saggy skin... He weighs 202 right now and looks like a trainer himself.

I understand some drs may tell u to wait a little longer but three weeks is the best time to start! Even if it's light training every bit helps because your body will notice it before you do.[/quote']

I have been reading the advice you have been giving to those that have reached out to you and I would like to just thank u for taking the time to do so. I myself will be sleeved on Oct 5 and I'm looking forward to it tho a lil nervous at the same time. I will also be utilizing the advice you've given as well. Thank you again for you help and you're support!

After 3 weeks of being sleeved' date=' especially if you have a lot to lose, start going to the gym IMMEDIATELY. You DON'T have to start cardio but you DHOULD start a weight training regimen. This will greatly assist in the saggy and loose skin problem. TRUST ME. As a trainer, one of my clients is 44 years old and weighed 402 lbs. He had the sleeve almost a year and change now and I realized after losing all that weight he has little to no loose or saggy skin... He weighs 202 right now and looks like a trainer himself.

I understand some drs may tell u to wait a little longer but three weeks is the best time to start! Even if it's light training every bit helps because your body will notice it before you do.[/quote']

Man u rock, thanks for the website, I am 10 days post op. I had a trainer 7 years ago for 1 or 2 years. At that time he made my 260 lb body fit into clothes that now at 260 don't fit.....cause of the muscle, right?

Now this trainer has opened 2 crossfit gyms, I joined it last year cause I love his motivational attitude. 60 days into crossfit, I had to stop, knee pain too severe, had 2 arthroscopic meniscus clean outs ON the SAME KNEE this last year. I loved the crossfit gym but they just can't adjust/ alter the exercises enough for me, Anyhow, I guess I will venture out and hope to find a trainer as wonderful as my last . ANY ADVICE ON PICKING A TRAINER? I was surprised I enjoyed a male trainer so much, not sure if I should pick a guy or gal?

Thanks a lot for everything you have already posted.

Hope so' date=' this thread is meant to enable and motivate those who WANT the change and a higher success rate[/quote']

Hello Jimmy, I'm hoping you can help me. I was sleeved on 8/1. I'm ready to start weight lifting. I checked out bodybuilding.com and I'm having a hard time choosing a plan to follow. I'm 5'2 233 I have large arms (bat wings) and big hips and thighs. I don't know if I should start with a fat loss program or building muscle program. Can you suggest what would be the better one.

Crunches' date=' leg ups, planks and cardio for stomach.

Squats, leg raises, dead lifts (light weight), side and front lunges... yoga and pilates are great also for women[/quote']

I would add tricep extensions and kickbacks to that as the tricep is one of the hardest muscles for women to tone. I do more of these because I am trying to prevent batwings!

Man u rock' date=' thanks for the website, I am 10 days post op. I had a trainer 7 years ago for 1 or 2 years. At that time he made my 260 lb body fit into clothes that now at 260 don't fit.....cause of the muscle, right?

Now this trainer has opened 2 crossfit gyms, I joined it last year cause I love his motivational attitude. 60 days into crossfit, I had to stop, knee pain too severe, had 2 arthroscopic meniscus clean outs ON the SAME KNEE this last year. I loved the crossfit gym but they just can't adjust/ alter the exercises enough for me, Anyhow, I guess I will venture out and hope to find a trainer as wonderful as my last . ANY ADVICE ON PICKING A TRAINER? I was surprised I enjoyed a male trainer so much, not sure if I should pick a guy or gal?

Thanks a lot for everything you have already posted.[/quote']

Don't worry about gender worry about what that trainer can absolutely bring to the table to help you progress on your journey. Sex has nothing to do with it experience, intensity and the ability to motivate your client is what you are looking for in a trainer

Hello Jimmy' date=' I'm hoping you can help me. I was sleeved on 8/1. I'm ready to start weight lifting. I checked out bodybuilding.com and I'm having a hard time choosing a plan to follow. I'm 5'2 233 I have large arms (bat wings) and big hips and thighs. I don't know if I should start with a fat loss program or building muscle program. Can you suggest what would be the better one.[/quote']

Start with light weights... Search for a total body workout...,do cardio on your off days to keep metabolism running strong. 10-15 minute warmups to get muscles relaxed and ready to be worked out...

I would add tricep extensions and kickbacks to that as the tricep is one of the hardest muscles for women to tone. I do more of these because I am trying to prevent batwings!

Triceps is not really the hardest to train. It's the fact that the triceps consists of 3 separate muscles that make up the triceps itself... If you are able to target EACH of these muscles you will be in good shape.

Jimmy, Thanks for your encouragement and help!!! :) I'm actually seeing measurable changes in my arms and stomach area, even though the scale is still being stubborn. Clothes are fitting better and I've taken an inch off my waist in the last month. From the back, I look terrific! LOL I'm doing abs every single day, mostly with an exercise ball, and I'm seeing improvement in my lower tummy area too.

I definitely appreciate your help! I think we need to ask for this thread to be pinned if it isn't already.

Jimmy' date=' Thanks for your encouragement and help!!! :) I'm actually seeing measurable changes in my arms and stomach area, even though the scale is still being stubborn. Clothes are fitting better and I've taken an inch off my waist in the last month. From the back, I look terrific! LOL I'm doing abs every single day, mostly with an exercise ball, and I'm seeing improvement in my lower tummy area too.

I definitely appreciate your help! I think we need to ask for this thread to be pinned if it isn't already.[/quote']

The pleasure is all mine. Knowing that you're seeing results puts a smile on my face. Glad the knowledge is paying off... As far as the scale do not worry about it at all. Your weight will fluctuate often giving you sporadic #s. focus on how you feel, clothes fit, and looks in the mirror... These should always be you motivators when working out in the gym, never the scale.

Take pictures of before and after every single 1st of the month and compare to last months results to add a bigger motivational intensity.