Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Big Texas dude seriously considering banding

Hi, all. My name is Brad. I'm a 42-year-old married father of two boys. I'm 6'5" and over 400 lbs. I have been radically successful on each and every diet I've tried -- if you only count the first 3-4 months or so. Then the weight comes back every time.

Let me say thanks to all of the regulars who post here. I have learned more, pro and con, about the realities of this surgery and what life is like just by lurking here.

I have not yet decided to have the lap band -- indeed I am visiting the doctor for the first time tomorrow -- but it's been very eye-opening to hear from those of you who have been there, done that.

My biggest fear in all this is that, from what I read here, I can eat around the band. I don't want to go through all of this only to have my old habits creep back when I tire of the new regimen. Those of you who are/were like that, has the band helped you overcome those urges, or at least made it easier to stick to eating properly?

I look forward to hearing from any of you. Thanks again for all the support you give.

Welcome Brad! I am a relative newbie, banded Aug. 25th, but I think what they mean by eating around the band is that you can eat all the bad food you want--but will not lose weight--or maybe even gain. What the band DOES is not let you eat the ENTIRE bag of Cookies, chips, etc... Also--for self-payers like myself, I spent alot of money on this surgery, and I am hoping I will make the right food choices so I can lose the weight.

I wish you luck--and here's to hoping to see you in bandland!:couch2:

Welcome to LBT Brad! It is a great tool to use in your research deciding if the band is for you! I used it all the time, I lurked for a few weeks, then began asking questions! You get all the literature from the Dr.'s but this is first hand knowledge, and cannot be beat in my opinion.

I have a very good friend, she and her husband who is about your size were banded last October in Monterrey Mexico. I talked to her the other day and she said he had lost 110 pounds! When I last saw him he was looking so much younger, I can't wait to see him again!

The band has been an amazing help to me! I have had 2 fills, and have very good restriction. I now eat about 8-12 bites of food, and am full. I can go back in an hour and eat more, but I am usually not hungry. since achieving restriction, I have seldom been hungry at all. Eating is something I either have to remind myself to do, or find myself doing out of habit, not hunger. Eating around the band is possible I am sure, I hear of people doing it, but I have ot found it to be a problem. It would have to be liquid or very mushy food for me to eat unlimited amounts, and eventhen,I don't think it would be possible, I can drink too much Water now and make myself uncomfortable, I need to go slowly. But I have found a new willpower in the the band, for lack of a better word (it is getting late for me!!). If I want a piece of pie or some chips, I can have them, and know I now have the control (thanks to the band) to stop after a few bites, I don't have to eat the entire bag of chips, in fact it is impossible. So I do not feel deprived. Now to be very honest, there are times I am eating something, and it is so good, I want to eat more, I don't want to be full after my dozen bites...but I am, I cannot eat more without causing myself to be in pain, or making myself sick (as in a PB, which is not very aptly named IMHO). But eating until you are no longer hungry as opposed to eating until you are full, is a learning process, one I am still learning, but the benefits of eating this way vastly outnumber the negative aspects. And the scale dropping so well, is a major incentive!! I feel like I am in control of my eating for the first time in my adult overweight life!

I would have the surgery again in a heartbeat, my only regret is not having it sooner. I would suggest and support the decision to have lap band surgery for my own Mom or my own daughter.

You will find an area on LBT to ask any questions that you, your wife or even your boys may have. Just look around, and attend a seminar or 2, ask your Dr. as many questions as you need to feel fully informed, don't be rushed. You deserve answers, to make you comfortable.

Good Luck in your Quest. You have found a wonderful site, here!

Kat

Hi Brad. Welcome to LBT. I hope things go well with your doctors appointment and you get the info you need.

Keep us posted.

Myra

Welcome Brad....I'm also a relative newbie (banded 17th July 06) and I had all the same fears and concerns that you are having. My way of looking at it is....I won't know unless I give it a go....Good Luck!

Welcome Brad!

I'll be honest with you.... I've talked with a lot of banded patients over the past few years, and all of the men that I've talked to have been extremely successful with the band. It's kind of sickening actually! LOL - for whatever reason, men tend to drop a lot of weight and much quicker than women with the band.

Keep doing your research, read as much as you can, ask as many questions as you need to and I feel confident you'll find the answers that you're looking for and make a decision either way that's right for you.

Tricia

Hi Brad, WELCOME to LBT.

This place has SO much info. Wish I wouldve found it before MY surgery..

Good luck!

Hi Brad,

My name is Mari, I've just recently decided to go for the band and am waiting for doctor's letter with surgeon's appointment. I live in the Uk and will have to go to London for this and am very anxious about the whole procedure.

But what has helped me is reading loads of the entries on this forum, the negative as well as the positive stuff. The last one that really inspired me was one by JamesA called "My lengthy (and somewhat) detailed journey of being banded" (General Lap-Band Discussion). He gives a fantastic description of the op and his stay in Mexico and gave me hope and some consolation. Have a read and see what you think.

I have the same thoughts as you as to whether I will be able to change by relationship with food, but I hope that being restricted in what quantities I can eat will change my thought patterns and slowly help me heal emotionally and physically. I have been overweight all my adult life and feel the band is the ultimate way to go. I am hoping to have the op done in Spring next year but wish it was earlier. I just want to shed this armour that holds me back physically.

Wishing you all the best in your journey, and as somebody already said, take your time and do the necessary research.

Mari

Brad welcome to LBT. I hope you find all the answers to your questions. Mine to you is "are you a rules player or do you do what you want?". The reason I ask that is because there are rules for living with the band. Your doctor will have their own rules, different from other doctors. If you live by the rules you will probably do OK. If you always want to push the limits, see if you can, take chances, etc. you might not be a good candidate.

There are lots of people on here that can eat bread, rice, popcorn, Pasta, to name a few with no consequences. They can eat what they want, but in limited quantities. I don't even go there. Why? because my rules say don't. Simple as that. I'm not a saint. I just am too scared to try the limits. I know what pain is and I'm not into it. :couch2:

THe other trap is sweets. They seem to go down well, especially the liquid form like ice cream. That could offer you lots of challenges if you fall into that category and definitely could eat around the band.

There is also something called pouch packing. That is when you eat more than the pouch is designed to hold. This can cause long term problems and halt your weight loss.

So, look at everything carefully. Decide for yourself if you are ready to make this life altering decision. My regret is that I made it at 59 and not 39. It has been a great experience for me and one I would make over and over again.

Good luck on your decision.

I can definitely follow rules -- in fact, I do better when I have clear limits. My downfall in the past has been that after a few months, something seems to click in my brain to make whatever eating limits I have seem almost unbearable, and then the fudging (so to speak) begins.

One change I am definitely making this time is that I am NOT doing this alone. I've shied away from support groups and having friends and relatives keep me in check. This time around I am asking for support, and plan to be accountable to others so that when the tough times come -- as I'm sure they will no matter what route I take -- I won't have to shoulder the burden alone. If I do get the band, LBT will definitely be a part of that!

Thanks to all of you for your help and advice. I'm sure I'll be checking back in here for more input and to let y'all know what I do.

Hi Brad the big Texas dude.

My biggest fear in all this is that, from what I read here, I can eat around the band. I don't want to go through all of this only to have my old habits creep back when I tire of the new regimen. Those of you who are/were like that, has the band helped you overcome those urges, or at least made it easier to stick to eating properly?

First of all - LB is not right for everyone. Part of what can make it right or not right is your past history of cheating - how you cheat, on what, etc. My surgeon actually used this information as part of his screening process, or advisement (he also does RNY and will talk with you about which surgery might be best) by asking us to rate which, from a list of foods, we were most likely to cheat with. Sugary solids -- not as critical of a concern as sugary liquids. If high sugar/fat "liquidy" foods (e.g. ice cream, milkshakes, juices, etc.) are foods that are weaknesses for you, it's a very valid concern and one that you should be up front about with your potential surgeon.

Now IMO, and IME -- it's not the same with the band. I too was very successful, short term, on several diets. Never on maintanence. Not one time. Because I felt deprived, and when I'm deprived I don't moderate well. With the LB, IME, I can have anything I want, I just can't have a lot of it. It's not about cutting foods out of the diet, it's about managing your portions. On Atkins I couldn't have my OJ, so when I had some, instead of a sip or two, I would have a whole quart of it. With LB, when I want OJ -- hey! I can have it! So I have 6 oz and I'm good to go. And liquids do partially fill me up, so 6 oz is plenty. And you know what? If I want more, I have more, I just stay aware of it and see what I can readjust to accomodate the additional carbs. And if there is nothing, I still don't sweat it, because I know it's not a big deal.

Hi again, all. Went to a seminar tonight. Thanks to all of the info available online, I didn't learn much new about the surgery itself, but I did get some questions answered about this particular partnership's protocols and methods, as well as costs...

... and I have my initial appointment next Thursday, 9/14, hopefully the start of a long and beneficial journey.

Hi Brad, from one guy to another (specifically a guy who lost a ton of weight on diets until I got bored, or found a loophole) I can tell you this isn't a magic solution, it does take work and effort. But, the nice part is there is also a tool built in which does keep you focused. Some people have already mentioned that ice cream and crap food still goes through, but once the band is adjusted correctly you can only eat X amount of food and then you feel full, more then that and it comes back up. I haven't gotten to that point yet, i'm still able to eat as much as I want (which is where my willpower comes in right now) but I keep going for adjustments to get to a happy place restriction-wise. Without restriction and being on steroids (which pack weight on and make you hungry) I've lost 47 lbs (going today hopefully to see if I lost more). It wasn't easy, but it definitely helps having the small amount of restriction I have now.

The other positive side is, I was never a candy person, I just like meat and good food in general. So I know once the band is adjusted, a small piece of meat will totally satisfy my hunger and I will be full. So one of the parts of this is to make smart choices, not just when eating, but when shopping. Make sure the crap you shouldn't eat isnt in your house, so when you are hungry, grab some Protein (tuna, chicken, steak, Jerky...etc) and you will feel full.

Welcome Brad to the LBT forum.

The Lap-Band has two wonderful benefits.

#1. It is a great tool for both losing and keeping off weight (though, you will have to be vigilant).

#2. You will be surrounded by women.