Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Big Texas dude seriously considering banding

Welcome Brad to the LBT forum.

The Lap-Band has two wonderful benefits.

#1. It is a great tool for both losing and keeping off weight (though, you will have to be vigilant).

#2. You will be surrounded by women.

Make that wonderful, gorgeous, sexy women.

Hi, big Texas dude!

I think of the band as a safety net. On the other weight loss projects, I would experience success, but only for a limited time. When I lost focus, the weight would find itself right back to me...by the time I regained focus, I'd have to start all over again. Sound familiar?

With the band, if I lost focus for a while, I don't lose ground, or maybe a couple of pounds, but that's all. It prevents the yo-yo effect.

I have recommended the band to my friends, one of whom will have her surgery in a couple of weeks. If my daughter were to need it, I would have no reservation.

Welcome from another Texan. We have lots of great band doc's in our state. Of course I'm partial. I'm fairly new myself at this being banded thing. I've not had any complications so far. I am still working on getting restriction, but my eating habits have really changed. The old food cravings are nearly gone - that has been really amazing to me.

Let us know how you do. which doc are you seeing?

Terry :rolleyes:

I understand what you a worried about. I too had the same fears and worries. I am a 34 year old, father of two, and at the time of my lap-band I was 6'4'' and 352lbs. I was banded on the 1st of Aug. 2006 and have so far lost 34 lbs. I have noticed some increase in my portion size lately, but will have my first fill on the 13th of Sept. and expect that my portions will go back down to what it was like right after my surgery. I hope that everthing goes well for you and remember to follow your Doctors advise, and ask a lot of questions.:clap2:

WOW! I love all of the input and support from everyone here!!

Welcome from another Texan. We have lots of great band doc's in our state. Of course I'm partial. I'm fairly new myself at this being banded thing. I've not had any complications so far. I am still working on getting restriction, but my eating habits have really changed. The old food cravings are nearly gone - that has been really amazing to me.

Let us know how you do. which doc are you seeing?

Terry, my appointment is with Dr. Andres Katz. He and his partners' LB website is http://www.lapbanddallas.com. I like the fact that they are all three accomplished surgeons who do not focus only on this one type of surgery, although they do have plenty of experience with the band.

Anyone here know anything about them??

UPDATE: It's been a while since I posted here, and I thought I'd come back and share my experience. It's been six weeks now, and I have lost 32 pounds!! I'm eating just two small meals a day (well, normal-size, really, but small compared to what I used to eat!), and the weight and inches are dropping off. Oh, and I did not have the band.

I was well on my way to the surgery -- I'd done the preliminary exams and was waiting on insurance approval -- when the doctor at my employer's clinic recommended a "wellness program" to jumpstart the weight loss before surgery. Needless to say, I was skeptical, as I had done lots of other programs without success. But when I read up on it, I found it to be different from anything else I'd tried. Rather than changing what you eat, the program concentrates on changing when and how you eat.

So, in a nutshell, I am eating about as little now as I would with the band, but without the surgery. I am not restricted from any food, and I have learned strategies for eating out and eating at parties or buffets. Yes, given my track record, I have concern that this will not last long-term, but I am very encouraged that it will. (The program keeps stats and claims an 80% longterm success rate -- quite different from diets!) I am truly enjoying eating, enjoying food, and enjoying not being controlled by it. (And also enjoying keeping several thousand $$$ in the bank by not having the surgery! :) )

I post this not to put down LB or those who have it at all! (If this fails long-term, I'll go right back to LB.) I just know this forum is a great place where people come for information, just like I did, and I wanted to share my experience. Oh, the program's website is HealthyLifestylesCourse.com. (This is not a paid endorsement, btw!)

Hope someone else can benefit from this!

Brad

Hello Brad! I've had the same worries as you regarding the lap band. I find this forum so supportive and brutally honest about everything!

Congrats on your weight loss without the band! That is great!