Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Skin Cancer?

Hello all, I am hoping someone else has had this unfortunate disease. I was told yesterday I possibly had skin cancer by my surgeon. Obviously since he is a surgeon he told me that I need to go to my PC, but he was quite upset and concerned after looking at it.

After searching on the internet, I am now scared. I go to the PC Thursday to see what is up.

Anyone have an experiece with skin cancer? And before anyone starts I know this is all my fault for being a lilly a$$ girl and getting burned too many times. I am scared more than I have ever been.

:think

Try and stay calm Boo Boo Kitty.....my husband has had 3 seperate skin cancers removed (the downside of living in Australia.....they don't call us the "sunburnt country" for nothing!). In Australia we have the highest rate of skin cancers in the world so it is not uncomon to speak to people who've had at least one removed.

It really depends what type of skin cancer you have as to the danger and treatments and don't blame yourself, everyone no matter what skin colour they have can get skin cancer, a friend of mine who is of New Zealand Maori descent so she is quite dark skinned has had skin cancer removed from her face.

Skin Cancer? try this thread

I just found out Friday that I have skin cancer. They took a biopsy out of a spot on my cheek and said they'll let me know this week what's gonna happen. I'm right with you though girl. Scared!!!

Brandy, my husband had skin cancer removed from the corner of his eye 6 years ago. It was the least serious form of skin cancer, a basal cell carninoma, but it had to be done by an opthalmic plastic surgeon. He looked hideous for about 2 weeks after the surgery. Today, you wouldn't even be able to find the scar. It all turned out fine.

Now my son had a small "in situ" melanoma removed from his abdomen about 10 years ago. That is the most serious form of skin cancer. He is also fine. My son has had a couple of "could be" suspicious moles removed since then, but turns out none of them were cancer. Both he and my husband have to have annual skin checks by a dermatologist.

Oh, I almost forgot that a close friend of mine had a squamous cell carcinoma removed from behind her knee three years ago. She had some trouble with the healing because of the location and size of the excision. They always have to remove a larger portion around the site just to make sure they get everything. Good news is that she's fine today and also goes for a yearly checkup with a dermatologist.

I'm sure you'll be fine. The earlier you have these things checked out, the better. Just get yourself to the doctor and take care of it. Good luck!

Regards,

Debi

Big Huggs ladies, I pray that both of you have wonderful doctors. I have a girlfriend who had skin cancer and she is fine. She had a few "moles" removed and sees her doctor regular basis.

I think my entire family over 40 has had skin cancer. For the most part their PCP just burns it off right there in the office. They put a bandaid over it for a while, have an ugly looking spot for a bit longer, and then it's as though nothing happened.

My mother had melanoma, slightly different story there. In my experience with her, going to her doctor's appointments, etc. they never referred to the melanoma as "skin cancer". I asked why once, and they told me that when someone has "skin cancer" it's usually a (doctor's words) "dime a dozen abnormality in the skin, rarely requiring anything more than a zapping in my office. We don't want anyone associating melanoma with something so everyday." So -- FWIW. :couch2:

Anyone have an experiece with skin cancer? :think

Boo Boo Kitty,

I am a cancer survivor myself, however mine was a ewing sarcoma. I spent all of last year 2005, almost everyday at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, TX. And still have to report back every 2 months.

I talked to many different people who had all types of cancer. Skin cancer is one of the most common and also the easiest to cure. Just as Wheetsin said (I feel like I am always saying this, LOL), It is a very non-invasive out-patient treatment that involves no chemotherapy and no radiation.

The only time that skin cancer gets serious is if it goes untreated. Which you are seeking treatment, so no worries there.

I know that the situation itself can be a bit of a shock and that is completely normal. I think knowledge is power. The ONLY website my Dr. would let me look at was http://www.cancer.org/docroot/home/index.asp?level=0 Their information is guaranteed to be up to date and as accurate as one can get on the subject.

My thoughts are with you. :couch2:

My mom actually died of melonoma -- which is the most aggressive and deadly form of skin cancer and can have NOTHING to do with overexposure to the sun.

I myself had 4 spots removed earlier this summer as precancerous -- just have them removed and continually check yourself for new spots. You should be fine, and it's pretty normal.

My mom (face) and brother (leg) both had spots removed and are fine now (also cancer) - it is horribly scary i'm sure and i pray all suffering with this will come out fine- it's best to find things early and treat aggressively which sounds like what you are doing. good luck and i know its hard but try to think positively and not worry too much

I had to have surgery just above my right eyebrow last year. When you find or talk to your doctor just tell them you want it done with the Mos

type of surgery. My husband had it on the side of his face and it went pretty deep but his doctor used this treatment on him and got it all and you can hardly tell where he had to cut his face so naturally when mine came up I went right to the same wonderful doctor. Just get it taken care of soon.:couch2:

Thank you so much to all of you. I am feeling a little better knowing that it is not a death sentence necessarily. I just hate that my body is doing thtis now, after I am finally trying to take good care of it...

:o

which is the most aggressive and deadly form of skin cancer and can have NOTHING to do with overexposure to the sun.
Very, very true. My mother's appeared on the side of her foot, where you foot starts to curve down into your sole. I'm pretty sure that's not a place that was exposed to much sun! She survived, but had to have all of the area cut out, about the size of a lemon, and 3 lymph nodes removed.

My doctor informed me yesterday that he was wrong about it looking like cancer and that it came back being folliculitis. I'm VERY relieved! Thanks for all your thoughts!