Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is This What Dumping Syndrome Is Going To Be Like

i went off my plan yesterday and i ate so much junk it was ridiculas. and later that night i ate a cold stale whole wheat pita with hummus and within mins my stomach was going crazy i was hot and cold and just sick. i finally threw up a lot and felt better. WOW I'M NOT EVEN SLEEVED YET. its like my body is getting ready or something. WEIRD.

No, because you won't be able to eat all of that junk afterwards. I've dumped once (diarrhea) after drinking a Protein shake made with milk. I won't be doing that again and I am very cautiously trying milk again once a month to see if I've passed the lactose intolerance phase for me.

Sliming, or throwing up, after surgery isn't the same as it is before. I liken it to my stomach pushing an "Eject" button on food. The few times I've done it, the food went down, then my mouth started watering, but it felt like it started in my jaw, then the food comes back up. I haven't heaved like I did before surgery when I'd vomit, it just comes up and out, then it's over.

Most sleevers don't really have dumping syndrome from what I've seen and read. That's much more common in GB patients.

oh ok thanks

Ask your surgeon if s/he thinks you'll have a dumping type problem after surgery. You may be more at risk because of factors I don't know about, but it doesn't seem to be a common problem for us sleevers. :)

How can you get "dumping syndrome" when there's no bypass of the intestines?

oh so you cant have it with a sleeve

You can have it, but it's not as common.

I had an episode of dumping in the hospital when I drank sustagen. I drink and within minutes, sweaty, nauseous, head spin, diahrea! Took minutes to go thru me, which is what dumping is, items moving far too quickly thru your digestive system. Can happen to anyone, even without WLS but is considered common with RNY.

Ahh o.k. I always thought it had to do with the bypass of the intestine but it has to do with undigested food moving too fast through you stomach. Good to know - I didn't think you could get it with the sleeve.

The way my surgeon explained it, it sounded like dumping syndrome was due to the lack of a pyloric sphincter at the end of the stomach where it connects to the intestines. Because we have no change in our intestines, we have our pyloric sphincter intact, instead of the stoma that RNY patients have. Because of this stoma, their body cannot regulate how quickly the sugar passes through into the intestines. This large amount of sugar (anything over 2g) makes the pancreas prepare by pumping out a bunch of insulin, but since they are coming from 2 different places (the pancreas is attached by your stomach which is on a part of your intestines that is rerouted further down, your blood sugar drops from the large influx of insulin and you have symptoms of low blood sugar or dumping symptoms.

Lucky for us, it's not likely with sleeve patients because we still have an intact sphincter that regulates how quickly things move into the intestines =)

Is dumping just diarrhea then? I just had a small bowl of Soup and it went through me pretty fast, resulting in a diarrhea situation. It was coconut curry soup. Maybe I ate too much of it? I'm 13 days out of surgery.

Is dumping just diarrhea then? I just had a small bowl of Soup and it went through me pretty fast, resulting in a diarrhea situation. It was coconut curry Soup. Maybe I ate too much of it? I'm 13 days out of surgery.

from what I've read of RNY patients who've had dumping syndrome - it's similar to an episode one might have with a sudden drop in blood sugar. They get sweaty and feel like they're going to pass out - but usually don't. If you go on YouTube there are actually ppl who have filmed themselves having a dumping syndrome episode. One guy was in his car and he said he had horribly painful cramping in his stomach, he was sweaty & felt like he would pass out (he didn't though).

from what I've read of RNY patients who've had dumping syndrome - it's similar to an episode one might have with a sudden drop in blood sugar. They get sweaty and feel like they're going to pass out - but usually don't. If you go on YouTube there are actually ppl who have filmed themselves having a dumping syndrome episode. One guy was in his car and he said he had horribly painful cramping in his stomach, he was sweaty & felt like he would pass out (he didn't though).

Yeah, it was nothing like that. I felt fine, except for the diarrhea. Maybe my stomach just didn't like the Soup.< /p>

i was afraid of the surgery. i am now afraid of post op

I tend to dump when I eat refined sugar, so I don't. But the few times I have I get really hot and cold and sweaty and feel dizzy. It sometimes is accompanied by diarrhea for me. I just dumped the other day without it after having some apple juice (I was parched and it was free at work lol).

Is dumping just diarrhea then? I just had a small bowl of Soup and it went through me pretty fast, resulting in a diarrhea situation. It was coconut curry soup. Maybe I ate too much of it? I'm 13 days out of surgery.

thats funny bet you wont do that again