Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long Should It Take To Drink A Protein Shake?

I'm 10 days out from surgery and up to this point, I've been drinking 1/2 servings of my Protein Drinks because I take small sips and take my time between sips to make sure I don't drink too fast.

I feel like I could drink a whole serving now, but I don't want to force it. Is it too early to be drinking that much? And if not, any idea about how long it should take to drink 8 oz of Protein shake? I do not want to risk stretching out my sleeve!

well, I take about 15 to 20 minutes to drink three ounces. I have three ounces at a time and I have 24 ounces in a day which equals out to 60g of protien. In between I sip Water all day. Just stop if your stomach feels full and drink a little less the next time.

Im only a few days out, but I was told that should aim for 5-8 oz per hour. But I'm guessing that's just at first. I don't want to stretch my sleeve either, or cause a leak. But I'm finding myself feeling like I take in more too.

well' date=' I take about 15 to 20 minutes to drink three ounces. I have three ounces at a time and I have 24 ounces in a day which equals out to 60g of protien. In between I sip Water all day. Just stop if your stomach feels full and drink a little less the next time.[/quote']

What are you drinking to get your Protein? I need suggestions!

well, I take about 15 to 20 minutes to drink three ounces. I have three ounces at a time and I have 24 ounces in a day which equals out to 60g of protien. In between I sip Water all day. Just stop if your stomach feels full and drink a little less the next time.

How far out from surgery are you?

I can drink 8 oz's in 20-30 min of the Celebrex shake. My doctor says to take my time..I think your drinking is fine and I am not sure if you would spring a leak by drinking too fast maybe just discomfort.

I am almost 2 weeks post op now. I am drinking a GNC protien shake with very low carbs and very high protien content, its called gold standard in double chocolate. They taste like chocolate milk just dont smell them LOL

small portionas and waiting abotu 20 min in between is not a bad idea...you can use this also to learn how to "feel" when you are not yet too full.

Thanks for all the responses. You've all been very helpful. This forum is the greatest!

I think it's gonna be different for everybody. I'm about 10 weeks post op and I'm still only drinking 8 oz at a time, but I can drink it in 3 or 4 minutes. A couple of times I drank it faster than that and I was a bit uncomfortable.

But basically, as long as you're not feeling any pain or discomfort you're in no danger of stretching your sleeve. If you drink too much too fast you'll know it. But even if you do, I doubt you could stretch your sleeve like that. It takes many years of overfilling and overeating to stretch a regular stomach. Your sleeve will be even harder to stretch.

I use the Isopure Zero Carb Double Dutch chocolate and I was able to finish 1 cup in 30 minutes in the morning (31 grms Protein and really good) and 1 cup in the evening In the first 2 wks post op. You should drink as you feel comfortable after a few more weeks you will be able to drink a lot better.

I only started back with Protein drinks on day 5/6 post op. Today I managed to drink 12 oz of milk and Protein powder, in 2 and a half hours for Breakfast, yesterday it was 4. I don't care it took that long, I am more concerned with getting the Protein in. Along with yogurt at late lunch, I had and pea and ham Soup for dinner, my protein was 77 and for day 5 I am very happy with that.

From the more knowledgeable here, am I doing anything wrong by not sticking to the 20 minute rule of eating at this stage?

Kate

I'm five weeks out and can drink my 11oz. Protein Shake in about 10-15 minutes. I asked my doctor about it he said liquids just slide out fast .

I'm a week out and I can only drink 2oz at a time. Dr said no more than 8oz in an hr and after drinking 7 or 8 oz in an hour I can't drink anything as I'm too full for several hrs. Hard to get all my Fluid in. I do 1 oz every 10min around the clock, throwing in a 2oz serving every now and then which I sip, until I feel full. I hope it gets better. I can't make it my life sipping 1oz every 10 min. Lol