Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What (if anything) do you regret about having the vertical sleeve surgery done?

If you don't have any regrets - what do you wish you knew before you had the surgery? Or what is the most surprising part of life post-surgery?

umm,,2 things..leak and stricture..I just want to be normal like everyone else but things keep going wrong. I don't really regret the surgery, it's working so I can't complain.

umm,,2 things..leak and stricture..

Oh No! I hope you get all that worked out. I hate to hear you have had complications. Do you have medical issues that would complicate the procedure?

Here's wishing they get that fixed soon

No regrets for me!

During the preliminary stage, I was frustrated with all the psych eval, classes, support groups, text book reading with quizzes, and numerous lab work and medical tests. In hindsight, I am grateful for the rigorous preliminary requirements as it was part of the journey for making an informed and considered decision. It was an important process for me to get myself in the right "head space". I even had to take a written tests to ensure I understood all the possible complications and that I acknowledged this as a tool that I had to work with -- not a miracle "cure".

Post-surgery, I have had relatively few complications, but here are just a few things I wish I had known:

• I wish I would have known I was going to be nauseous the whole drive home and part of the following day so I could have had the anti-nausea meds on hand rather than having to ask my hubby to make a call to the surgeon and then make a pharmacy run.
  • I wish I would have realized my body would be constipated for the first time in my life. At four months out, I find I must take stool softners to keep this from being a problem.
  • I wish I would have known that all the "taste testing" I did with the Isopure pre-surgery was for naught. My taste buds changed drastically, and what I liked pre-op was horrible post-op.

Other than those very minor issues, I am thankful each and every day for making this decision. I am also incredibly grateful for this forum as it has given me the inspiration, motivation and support I have needed throughout the process.

Oh No! I hope you get all that worked out. I hate to hear you have had complications. Do you have medical issues that would complicate the procedure?

Here's wishing they get that fixed soon

Thank you :) I have alot of medical issues, not sure if they will cause other complications..I have to just take it one step at a time and trust my doctor. I will have an EGD and they will decide from that where I need to go from there.

No regrets at all. The most surprising part of life post-sleeve is how much I realize I used to think about food and now I don't. I'd wake up in the morning and think about what to have for Breakfast, while eating breakfast I'd be planning lunch, at lunch I'd be wondering about dinner. Now I hardly think about food at all!

This question is asked almost weekly and the answer is resoundingly the same - NO REGRETS.

For MOST people the operation is very successful and no major issues come up. For a few some minor issues come up - I for instance had 3 or 4 bouts of kidney stones due to getting dehydrated and excess Calcium uptake.

For a very, very few others like PeaceQueen above there are major issues and for a tiny few worse issues yet, even an occasional death. No bones about it, this is MAJOR surgery and carries all the risk of any major surgery with it.

You have to weigh the risks and determine if it's for you. I took the risk and even added the extra risk of going self-pay and having the procedure done in Mexico.

It is the singly BEST thing that I have done for my health EVER.

I just want to add, I was totally informed going into surgery. It's not something to take lightly and should be thoroughly investigated and researched. I went to 2 seminars, lurked these forums for a year, asked numerous questions, surfed the net for extended amounts of time reading journals, articles, etc. I knew the risks that were involved. When I was told I had a leak and a stricture, I knew what they were. If anyone has a regret, it should be not educating themselves about the sleeve before they go under the knife.

I'll also add again, even though I have gone through what I have,,I still love my sleeve and would do it again. I could've never lost 70 pounds (and continue to lose) on my own. I struggled with my weight my whole life and it needed to stop. I have alot of health problems and they were only getting worse. If you are thinking of having surgery out of the simple fact to look pretty or to be skinnier than your friends or maybe just to wear cute clothes,,that's great but just be prepared for the life change you will need to make. Surgery isn't an easy way out,,don't expect it to be so easy either. It's hard work.

I certainly don't expect this to be an easy way out. I am not doing it for vanity and certainly don't care if I look cute in clothes. I am doing for my health and to prevent the onset of life threatening illnesses down the road.

I understand that complications can come with any major surgery. You have to follow the surgeon's guidelines and be responsible. The sleeve in my mind is just a tool to help you get to where you need to be. You still have to be focused, committed and responsible.

Thanks for all your responses.

I certainly don't expect this to be an easy way out. I am not doing it for vanity and certainly don't care if I look cute in clothes. I am doing for my health and to prevent the onset of life threatening illnesses down the road.

I understand that complications can come with any major surgery. You have to follow the surgeon's guidelines and be responsible. The sleeve in my mind is just a tool to help you get to where you need to be. You still have to be focused, committed and responsible.

Thanks for all your responses.

Oh I wasn't directing that at you,,just to everyone (anyone) in general :) This is your post,,sorry I didn't mean to come off preachy.

I regret having to go through all of the effort and risk and recovery just to do what I always knew would work - eat less - but couldn't do on my own. So... I do NOT regret the VSG but I do regret having to have weight loss surgery period. I get so angry at myself !

Oh I wasn't directing that at you,,just to everyone (anyone) in general :) This is your post,,sorry I didn't mean to come off preachy.

No worries, PeaceQueen! :) I just hope no one thinks I am doing it for vanity purposes. It is a VERY big and life-altering decision. Thank you for being honest and forthright.

Zero regrets. The biggest surprise for me is how easy it's been, I love that for me it's totally been 'the easy way out' -- COS I TOTALLY DESERVED IT!! I'm also surprised that I never lost my appetite at all and get hungry just like I did pre-surgery, but that it's still totally do-able.

Good luck!!

NO REGRETS!!!! other than wishing I had done it sooner!!!