Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't know of any recipes but I get the fried tofu with mixed veggies about once a week from our local chinese place and I LOVE it....:rolleyes: If you want to be completely healthy, don't get it fried but I like the flavor better when it is...

~liz~

03/10/06

241/167/160

5'7''

Ok, at the risk of looking like a complete dummy, I have to ask....

What is tofu? Have heard of it, but really have no idea what it is and think I might be afraid of it.

Ok, at the risk of looking like a complete dummy, I have to ask....

What is tofu? Have heard of it, but really have no idea what it is and think I might be afraid of it.

Its made of soy Beans....it comes in several consistencies...very firm, firm, and soft. I like firm, I chop it up in little pieces and sautee it with veggies. It takes over the flavor of whatever you use...my hubby soaked it in soy sauce....ewww foul! I go lightly on the spices. Most stores sell it either in the dairy aisle or my local grocery has it in the produce aisle. Allrecipes.com is a good place for recipes for just about anything. Off tofu topic, they have a recipe for dump cake that is out of this world!!!

Yummy. Take care!

I don't remember the brands, but I buy a lot of pre-seasoned tofus, there is a schezuan one and a terriyaki flavoured one I really like, straight from the grocers, and I eat it cold just out of the package - LOVE it! I also like 'devilled tofu' you take a firm plain or firm herb tofu, and mash it well with light mayo and maybe some chives, a little salt and pepper - it's like mock egg salad. You can also marinate plain firm tofu in just about any meat marinade that you love, marinate it for at least overnight, I cut it in cubes first so more marinade absorbs in, and I like it cold like that, or lightly pan fried.

I take extra firm tofu and cut it into dice-sized pieces. I brown it in a wok for about 5-7 minutes then set aside. Then spray the wok with Pam and add in Water chestnuts, baby corn (the kind that are more like pickles than corn -- no probs going down) and sugar snap peas (or snow peas if sugar snap are not in season). I brown that for about 7 minutes then I add back in the tofu PLUS 1T green curry paste. Add salt and pepper and YUM. All for about 150 cals per cup. Can't beat it in my book!

Take 1 package extra firm tofu cut into "steaks" (you can get about 5 slices from one package)

Marinate at least one hour in Sweet Baby Ray's bar-b-que sauce

Grill outside on the grill

Fight everyone else for the last piece!

Oh! I used to make breaded tofu cutlets in the past, totally forgot about them till now. Slice extra firm into slices about 1/4 of an inch thick, marinate in a thin meat marinade of your choice. Take a bowl of mixed raw egg and a bowl of bread crumbs, or crushed cracker crumbs (I take my favorite crackers stick them in a freezer bag and run a rolling pin over them). Dip the slices in egg, then in crumbs, and lay on non-stick or sprayed/oiled baking sheet. Bake in the oven around 350 until golden brown. Really good with a low fat veggie gravy or with plum sauce or sweet and sour too if you need more moisture.

I make it "Thai" style. Buy the extra firm and slice. Marinade slices in a mixture I make out of orange juice, soy sauce, peanut sauce, seasme oil, brown sugar, and chili paste. Then fry or grill on foil. Serve atop chicken slices cooked in the same marinade.

I also season it lightly, pan fry, and eat on melba slices.

i had tofu stir-fry last night at the hu hot. yummy! its a buffet where you pick raw meats and veggies and sauces off a bar and they cook it in front of you. i had tofu, sausage, cilantro, mushrooms, broccoli, Water chestnuts, onions and zuchinni i used mean bean garlic sauce, burn your village bbq, lime juice, and schezuan to season. i dont add any oil at all.

i buy the lite firm or extra firm tofu and use my favorite stir-fry veggies and use 'Lighthouse' sesame dressing. its only 15-20 calories per serving so its a yummy low cal sauce. i dont remember what the sodioum is.

i also pre-op LOVED to pan fry a slice and sautee mush and onions and make a kick ass sandwich! melt cheese and olives on top and get the bread all toastee!! slather with mayo, maybe add banana peppers or sprouts. sounds so yummy but to much trouble for what i would eat! i havent had one in years!

there is a schezuan one and a terriyaki flavoured one I really like, straight from the grocers, and I eat it cold just out of the package - LOVE it!

Just be sure to stay away from the sun-dried Tomato flavor! :tired I took one bite and threw the whole package out.

I love the tofu fake chicken nuggets from Morning Star. I had the buffalo ones last night with honey mustard. A serving is 5 but I could not even finish 3.

Does everyone else find that tofu or fake meat really fills you up? It made me afraid I would PB. So I had to follow it with a skinny cow bar. In my world it will helps things digest!

i didnt realize those chicken things were tofu!

i love the chicken patties or nuggets but my FAVORITE is CORN DOGS! yummy! and i love the facon.

when i was a veggie (non banded) i still gained! i am not a veggie but still like some of the products. i had portabella veggie burger for lunch yesterday.