Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would I know if I have a slipped band??

I don't think that I have one, but I just want to know if anybody can tell me what it would feel like. I am not vomiting. I am just worried and want to know if I will know. From what I read, there is usually vomiting involved, but is there always vomiting? Is there any other symptoms? Again, I am just very worried about it slipping. I paid for my surgury myself and I am paranoid that my band might slip and have to be fixed. I would just die, because I can't afford to fix it too! It would make me feel so much better if you guys could let me know. I know there are some members that have had to have their bands replaced due to slippage, I would love to hear what you all experienced. Thank you so very much, Kristina :)

For the people I know personally who have had a slipped band, the most frequent sign of a slipped band is lack of restriction. But you were JUST banded and haven't yet had the kind of restriction the absence of which might signal a cause for alarm.

In other words, exhale and back away from reading about complications!! LOL

I was banded 8/24/06 and I've been searching the boards with the very same question. I can't seem to find any real answer. How would we know? I haven't had any restriction since day one! Never a problem getting anything down, in fact, I'm so paranoid Ive been thinking maybe it hasent been right since I got it?! They didnt do any x-ray or scan. Or sure, I could be crazy. But how would we know if there was a problem? Is it like being pregnant...and you are just suppose to know?

From what I have heard, a sudden loss OR gain of restriction for no apparent reason could indicate a slip. Most ppl cannot swallow Water or their own saliva, becoming too tight and they know that something is wrong. But some ppl also become "wide open" after being very restricted and fairly tight for a good while. So any dramatic change would concern me.....Lets hope that we aren't in that 3% of ppl that have problems!!

~Liz~

03/10/06

241/167/160

5'7''

I never had any symptoms at all. I found out I was slipped when I went for a fill. Unfortunately, the man who gave me the fill OVERfilled me and instead of diagnosing a slip, he made a statement about pouch being dilated (he left the fill in). He wanted to charge me for an unfill the following Monday, so I called someone with more experience. I couldn't swallow my own spit. The wiser fellow said the instant he saw it - slippage.

However, please don't borrow trouble. It's very very very very common not to have any restriction immediately following your surgery. Some do, some don't. Once you've healed, then the attempts begin to find your restriction. Go slow.. this is not a race. :rolleyes: Good luck!

I couldn't tell I had slipped. I had no vomiting at all. My only weirdish symptoms were reflux (mostly at night, but some in the day as well) and lack of restriction - again, mostly at night - but I've always been a night eater, so I didn't think too much of it.

hi my name is Ann , i have been having trouble with my band since 2005.the systems are not fun it is really band pain in the stomach my band is slipped the band part is in my stomach and the port is on my left side not fun.plus i have a hiatal hernia that looks like a foot ball.:help:

i am seeing a new surgeon on tuesday in albany med. i was told that he might have to take out the band and do the bypass because of the trouble with my stomach.:think the other doctor messed up my stomach and is refusing to fix it so i got someone new. and i will be just fine.

you get bad pains,trouble swallowing,chest pains,i had my lap band done in november of 2004.

hugs Ann:) you can reach me at fordforda9466@aol.com

I never had any symptoms at all. I found out I was slipped when I went for a fill. Unfortunately, the man who gave me the fill OVERfilled me and instead of diagnosing a slip, he made a statement about pouch being dilated (he left the fill in). He wanted to charge me for an unfill the following Monday, so I called someone with more experience. I couldn't swallow my own spit. The wiser fellow said the instant he saw it - slippage.

However, please don't borrow trouble. It's very very very very common not to have any restriction immediately following your surgery. Some do, some don't. Once you've healed, then the attempts begin to find your restriction. Go slow.. this is not a race. :) Good luck!

Hi

I noticed that you revised from a band to bypass. Do you mind sharing your experience with me? My doc is suggesting I revise to either a sleeve or a bypass due to a hiatal hernia impeding y band.

Thanks!!!

Ginny

My band slipped in June. Or possibly before that! I was vomiting all the time, could not keep any food down or any liquids for that matter. Went into hospital where they emptied my band (so they said anyway, but there was still 2 mls left in there). Even after the defill, I could not keep any foods down. My surgeon had to operate to re-position my band as it had slipped and twisted. This was why I could not keep anything down.

I am sure the experience is different for everyone. I had a lot of reflux too, terrible pain and mostly at nights with reflux vomiting!

Just been back to my surgeon and everything seems to be back on track now. It was touch and go for a while as the overfill could have cause the band to embed itself into the osoephagus. The vomiting could also have caused a lot of problems with my stomach. Most scary of all, my band could have burst from being overfilled!!

Take a note from my book, when you go for a fill and unfill, you CHECK that needle and make sure how much is in your band. I thought there was 7 mls and in fact I calculated that at its most, there would have been 11.5mls (my band is not even big enough for that!)

That's my experience and I am sure other people have had completely different ones, but I hope it will help.