Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fluouroscopy..whats the difference?

If I am understanding correctly, you can get fills with or without Fluoroscopy. I have a choice in my area of two different follow up doctors, on uses Fluoroscopy, one does not. Anyone know what the difference is (this will be my first fill), or have any recommendations?

Thanks so much...you guys have been so great about answering all of my questions.:)

Flouroscopy allows the doctor to visually see the port and there is less guess work and also they can watch the Fluid go through the band. Without the Flouro they are feeling for the port and I have had as many as three needle probes to get the port.

Aside from those the cost can be significantly different. If you are self-pay that could really hurt the pocketbook. The flouro also shows the band position so they may see if it is tilted or maybe even eroded.

I have to say that the 'blind' (non flouro) are really not that bad. I had three flouro fills but have had blind fills since those first 3. Even when they probed 3 times it was tolerable for me. Not fun just tolerable!

Do not be too concerned about it. The person doing the fill knows which may be best for you.

if you have the choice, then get the the floro,

1) its better as the doc will never miss the port.

2) Its better as the doc will know how much fill you would need based on watching the liquid go down.

3) Its always good to have the doc see the place of the band, and its all intact and in good condition

The downside is you have to drink the Barium which is GROSS

Flouroscopy is for more than locating the port. It allows the doctor to see how much restriction you have rather than guesstimating. The doctor has you drink something that outlines your esophagus and stomach. The he has you take a big swallow of some other stuff and he watches it to see how quickly it flows from the pouch into the lower stomach. At that point, he can then determine how much of an adjustment you need. He'll add more saline, or take some out, then you swallow some more of the stuff and he watches it go down into your stomach again.

I don't have any scientific facts to back myself up, but I believe flouroscopy allows the doctor to give you a much more precise level of fill and may explain why some people have to get more fills than others. Besides that, it's just plain cool to watch the band do it's job.

Is flouroscopy necessary? No. But I much prefer it. I wouldn't be comfortable getting a fill without it.

I have the low profile port and they are even harder to feel and fact you cannot feel mine neither can Dr. Curry, it's just too deep. Therefore, without the fluro your doctor would have to poke and poke. After 3 pokes Dr. Curry took me straight to fluro and hit it first time and with my 2nd fill 2 weeks later went straight to fluro, no guess work involved. Also, first thing he looks at before even putting the fill in is to make sure my port is where it should be, band is in correct position and takes a look at tubing. To me, although just my opinion, you can check everything out in a glance and takes about 5 seconds with fluro.

People have answered your question very well here. The only thing I would add is that flouroscopy IS an x-ray so each time you will have minimal exposure to radiation.

I have the low profile port and they are even harder to feel and fact you cannot feel mine neither can Dr. Curry, it's just too deep. Therefore, without the fluro your doctor would have to poke and poke. After 3 pokes Dr. Curry took me straight to fluro and hit it first time and with my 2nd fill 2 weeks later went straight to fluro, no guess work involved. Also, first thing he looks at before even putting the fill in is to make sure my port is where it should be, band is in correct position and takes a look at tubing. To me, although just my opinion, you can check everything out in a glance and takes about 5 seconds with fluro.

mysherrijo,

I've never heard of "low profile port." I've only heard that their were different size ports. Do you have any additional information you can share?

If I am understanding correctly, you can get fills with or without Fluoroscopy. I have a choice in my area of two different follow up doctors, on uses Fluoroscopy, one does not. Anyone know what the difference is (this will be my first fill), or have any recommendations?

Thanks so much...you guys have been so great about answering all of my questions.:)

My doctor stopped doing blind fills (without fluoro) because he said they lead to over-filling, which can cause slippage.

Mine is the inamed, 9.75, and if you don't have quite as much to loose or if your stomach is not quite as large is what my doctor told me then it's better to use the low profile. It's not as deep and if will not show up after a lot of weight loss. Some people who loose a lot of weight, they're port can be seen as a slight lump or something.

I went to the doctor on Friday and got a second fill. Boy, was it a traumatic thing, though! Nothing like last time! I guess when you lose weight things shift around and even though my port is sewn in, it had shifted, so the doctor couldn't, for the life of him, find the spot to get the needle in. He stuck me 4 times with number stuff and 7 times (yes, you read that right) with the needle trying to find the port access. :omg: When he finally got in, he put another 2.5 cc's in. I guess I have the VG band that holds 10cc's, so now I have 5.5cc's. I am going to look like he sucker punched me in a day or two. You should see all the poke marks on me! :) The physician's assistant who does the follow up care and fills felt so bad. I told him not to beat himself up over it and it was fine. If this is the worst thing I go through in my journey, then it was well worth it.

I told him of the flouro fills you speak of and having to swallow the barium and he'd never heard of that. Anyway, he just has me push my stomach way out and he feels around for my port. The first fill I had he hit it right away, but now that I'm losing, it's more difficult to find the small access point because even though it's sewn in, it still shifts around.

Even though it was more difficult, it won't make me shy away from having another fill.

All of my fills and unfills have been with fluro. I have something to add. My experience has been that even though its done under fluro, you can still be overfilled. When I leave the barium is still flowing through freely. Something happens between 6-9 days for me. I get restricted starting with a PB. I don't recover from it and have to get some saline taken out. When I'm in that position they do a barium swallow to see what's going on. It looks like it is still flowing freely.

So take it for what's its worth. I would definitely do it under fluro given the choice. For me, it doesn't always tell the whole picture.

Just got banded 3 days ago and I asked my doctor this question as a matter of fact and he said everything here but he also added that when doctors do a blind fill and the dr. has a hard time locating your port you run the risk of them poking a hole into the band aka leak.

My surgeon uses fluoro every times. He said he'd rather be sure than guess. It really depends on the doctor. Personally, with my fear of needles, I'm glad mine does it this way.