Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Made Myself A List For Stuff To Have At Home After Surgery....

Here is my travel list. A little longer maybe for me, since I'm a girl and I'm going out of the country.

Things to pack for Mexico:

Nook

Nook charger

iPhone

iPhone charger

Lotion

Toothbrush

Toothpaste

hair brush

Deodorant

Hat so I don't have to fix my hair

Shoes

Prescriptions

Protein packets

A) 5 Isopure

B) 5 chicken stock

shaker bottle

Bandaids

Multi Vitamins

Iron Vitamin

B-12 Vitamin

Passport

ID

Cash

American Airline CC with pin #

Certified check for surgery

Gas x

Clothes

Pen & paper/small notebook

Folder with & for surgery info

Ok...so I deleted a few of the female personal items! Lol

So, what exactly does the Medic Alert Bracelet need to say on it?

I just arrived home from being sleeved in TJ by Dr. Garcia. The one thing I would have liked to have had on my very long trip home was some broth and there was none to be found at the airports and of course nothing on the plane. I sat first class on the wacomforter comfort and the attendant looked at me very strange when I refused all of the delicious food you get in first class. lol. Believe you me, that was a true test also.

I would get the unjury chicken broth packets and take 1 or 2 for the trip home. You can get plenty of hot Water in an airport but no broth. I checked several restaurants and those that served Soup were Soups that were something like gumbo and I thought that would be too spicey or the Soups were not really a soupy texture. I don't know if u can get through checked baggage with some small ready to eat Jello cups (sugar free of course), but u might consider a couple of those as well.

Just out of curiosity - why the medic alert Bracelet? Is there issues with post VSG patients longterm that paramedics' date=' etc would need to be notified???[/sup']

What Quietcougar said lol

Don't overbuy on Protein. Your taste uses change after surgery. The shakes I loved pre op made me gag post op. weird- ha? Anyway, I returned unopened bottles and cans and replaced them.

Don't buy Protein you like now for the post op period. Taste buds change. Things I loved pre op gagged me post op. I am 10 days post op. I returned so many cans and bottles of protein in exchange for what my sleeve likes now. I also wanted to be prepared, but it didn't work. Good luck!

Everyone's suggestions are great! I would like to add that I've been using my immersion blender with my Soups, just found it easier. I purchased an inexpensive strainer from Walmart, which I've used a lot for said soups. Oh and colorful plastic baby spoons. I tried to take bites w regular Soup spoons and I would take in too much to swallow comfortably. I've practically lived on Vitamin Water zero and watered down G2 (as my water), as not to elevate electrolytes, just maintain and hydrate. I've been using a large container of Fage 0% Greek yogurt. I could spoon out small portions and thin it w a little high Protein milk and a little sprinkle of Splenda or sugar free Torani syrups to change it up a bit.

***A bag of Sonic ice**(Did you hear me sing??) ;)

I don't know how I would have survived w/o it. I even put it in my liquid Lortab to dilute it.

Best wishes for you!!!

~Jane

Can anyone think of anything to add to this?

powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Unflavored

variety pack Nectar(so I can see what I like after surgery)

Medical Alert Bracelet

Small pillow for seatbelt and for any other time I need for stomach

2 Heating Pada(gotta buy 1)

Gas-X

All my Vitamins

4x4 Gauze

Paper tape

food Scale(I know I don't need it immediately)

Thanks everyone!

I just returned from Mx yesterday.

Get a little bag of sugar free candy to put in your pocket. You will love this after drinking the horrible drink before the test foe sleeve leakage.

Gas strips

Tea bags, sweetner

Some dry broth in a Baggie would be good when at the airport because you can buy a cup hot Water and have your own broth!!

I was veryyyyy sick after surgery with gas pain, vomiting,dry heaves...but on the third day was much better!!!

Sent from my iPad using VST

I would agree with those that say do not stock up on any particular thing. Your taste buds change post surgery and i have so many things just sitting in my pantry now going to waste. Getting in your Protein and fluids will be your biggest challenge and you will need to find out which ones work best for you. From all the responses though there are plenty of great suggestions.

I fell in love with the beef broth served in the hospital (yeah crazy i know) but it seemed so wonderful and perfect at the time. Ice chips saved me in the first few hours after surgery.

Good luck to you and speedy recovery!

Don't forget your baby wipes

Hehe :P

I have my butt wipes! Lol. Already in my carry-on!! Forgot to put it!!

The suction bar supports were really handy in getting out of bed with and also in the shower.

Thank You all for the responses!!!

Just so everyone knows I'm only buying another 12 pack of the samples of nectar. I'm not buying big cans bc I know my taste buds can change after surgery. I am planning on getting a can of the unflavored unjury bc I'll mix it with stuff to get my Protein. But no other big cans until after I know what I like.

I have wipes too! Lol

Oh and so everyone knows, I will be in Louisiana (best friend lives there and will help me after surgery)for at least 2 weeks after surgery if not 4 weeks bc I think I'll have a follow up at 1 month and I know I'm not going to be able to drive myself 9 hours home within a couple weeks(at least I don't see the dr wanting me to do that).

Very excited for you! :) it will be here before ya know it and you're going to do great!!