Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Massachusetts Bandsters Chat

I am just starting the process - My name is Linda, I am from Framingham and have attended the informational session at Emersom Hosp in Concord Ma. I have my Dr approval and have HMO Blue for insurance. I hpe I go through the approval process O.K. The hosp has group sessions that it expects me to attend. This was one of my reasons for picking this hosp (also I have been in this hosp for other things and have been happy with them). They have done several hundred so I thought I would see somone on the web site from this group.

I am 58+ and have a BMI of 37.5 and have high BP. Many family members have adult onset sugar, I don't have this yet but I think it would only be a matter of time if I don't losse this weight.

I want to have more energy and be able to keep up with my husband and children (and grandchildren).

My eval session is Jan 3rd and I am all over the map, I am worried about my age but I think the quality of my life and my familys will be greatly improved if I go through with this.

I am going on and on just want to know if anyone in my area has been to Emerson hosp or knows of anyone who has gone there?

Linda,

Hi, I am jude from Boston and I am 66. I had the banding in Oct. It was at Faulkner Hosp. in JP and it went really really well

You are doing the right thing for yourself and family.

Stay connected with the group at Emerson and online..it helps.

Be well and happy! It will be quite a new year for you!!

Linda,

Hi, I am jude from Boston and I am 66. I had the banding in Oct. It was at Faulkner Hosp. in JP and it went really really well

You are doing the right thing for yourself and family.

Stay connected with the group at Emerson and online..it helps.

Be well and happy! It will be quite a new year for you!!

Thanks for responding so quick Jude. can I ask you a few questions? How long were you in the hosp? What type of anesthea did you have? Do you have any other health issues? Did you go on a liquid diet first? How much weight have you lost? Do you have this fill process I am reading about?

I do want to loose some weight first as I understand your liver improves the success of the procedure.

It all takes so long and I want to get going? I am in good general health and go to the YMCA for Water aerobics and Water walking three times a week, how long do yoiu think it will be before I can do this?

I also work so I am interested in how long I will be out of work, I expect 2 to 3 weeks. I am a Quality Engineer so most of my work is desk/study type of work. I know I will get most of my answers when I attend the hosp sessions but I trust real people who have been through things way more than anyone else. I value your experience as most as younger that me and I may have additional issues/concerns that you would understand.

I know I have asked a lot, but if you have the time I would love to hear from you,

Thanks,

Linda

Hi Linda, I am 66 and I was banded March 6 of '07 at Beth Israel by Dr. Jones. I have no complaints about having this done at my age. BIDMC was great and so was Dr. Jones. I was in the hospital 2 nights instead of 1 only because of a slight temp (unknown reason). But everything went fine. I have lost 50 lbs and I have had 2 fills. I think the fills give me a little too much restriction for a while. I can't keep too much food down for a few weeks after a fill. The weight loss is slower with lapband than with gastric bypass but I like it better. The port caused some discomfort after surgery and the gas was unreal. Those are the only things that should hold you from going back to work. I am retired so I can't say how long it takes to go back to work. I am sure you will do great. And, unless your blood pressure is out of sight you will. They will take good care of you. Being on this sight you will find a lot of support. Good luck.

Nanavivian:)

Let me answer your questions:

I was in the hospital overnight. My surgeon does an x-ray before you leave to make sure the band and the port are in place. Then you go home.:clap2:

I had general anesthesia. The surgery usually takes a hour or so, then recovery room, then your room. I remember nothing after the sedation in the pre-op area. Next thing I knew was I was on the way to my room. I used no pain meds. Didnt need them.

My co-morbidity is I have sleep apnea and I weighed 337 when I began the process. I do not have diabetes. I do have high BP + Hi cholesterol managed right now by meds. I am a Water aerobics instructor and lead a class... an hour of it 3x a week (i need to swim laps also but haven't gotten into it yet)

I did go on a liquid diet..slimfast.. first and lost 37 lbs.

It is IMPORTANT to reduce the size of your liver by losing wgt. before the surgery. The edge of the liver is right where they will be working on the banding process.

I have had one fill. It has not impeded my intake here at the holidays..I am afraid I have gained back some of what I lost.:)

My next fill will probably be restrictive. I hope. My appetite is the same as ever right now.

I had no after affects of the surgery and was out of work for 1 day. I had no gas and very little discomfort. My guess is it will be the same for you because you work out in the pool. You will not be out for more that a couple of days if that.

Because of the healing of the surgery sites my MD recommended 4 weeks out of the Water. That was hard but I did it.

I am retired but still work 20 hours a week at my old job. I am a social worker and work in a hospital here in Boston.

Be happy to answer anything else.

jude

I'm somewhat disappointed that there isn't more going on here in the Massachusetts board. I'm being banded on Feb 12th at BIDMC, and am wondering who else around here is in the same boat with me.

Hi Everyone,

I wrote a while ago, I am from the North Shore, was banded on Oct. 4. I had 2 fills equalling 1.5 cc's in my 4cc capacity band. Here we are mid January and I have had NO restriction or wieght loss since my first week after surgery. My surgeon was Brams from Lahey in Burlington Ma.

So today I had my 3rd fill and asked for them to be a little more aggressive, I now have 2cc's in, that's half full. We will see how it goes

But the worst part was no only is my port tilted and hard to get to, but I evidently have TONS of scar tissue which feels horrible (stuck under my ribs) and to give me a fill, it was painful and very uncomfortable and took like a 1/2 hour to do. It was very upsetting to me.

I just hope and pray that things get better for me, some others I know are having good luck with it, my husband is very supportive, I wouldn't be able to go through all of this without him.

Comments, suggestions, support, all welcome,

Janet :smile:

Hi Janet:

Sorry to hear your fills are so uncomfortable. Mine are such a piece of cake. We have the same size band and now I'm at 1.5. I got up to 1.5 before and had an issue and had to have .5 taken out. Hopefully I can keep it at 1.5 this time. I have support group next Tuesday. The Doctor told me if I need more to come early and he can give me more fill before support group meeting.

It is tough when you don't have restriction. I am not changing my ticker, but my doctor told me I gained 3 pounds. I could have fallen on the floor I was so shocked! My scale at home doesn't show a gain, but I did get a new scale for Xmas, so maybe it's a scale issue.

Because they have such difficulty giving you a fill can they try it under fluoroscopy? Maybe it would be easier. You might want to post your fills issue on the fills section because others can probably give you advice on this.

Hope you have restriction and can stay at this level for a while.

Take care.

Sue

Hi, I'm from the Northshore and was banded the day after Christmas at Salem hospital. I started the process at the end of August and was banded almost 4 months later. My surgery went well and for the most part my recovery was a breeze. I didn't have any pain to speak of and fortunately never had an issue with gas. My biggest issue was the exhaustion I felt for about a week after surgery. I am scheduled for my first fill in a few weeks and am pretty excited about it. So far I have lost about 17 pds. I'm still on mushies and my appetite is beginning to grow. I hope to lose about 110 pds. total but I'm trying not to focus so much on the number right now.

I hope that you're all doing well!

Jenn

Sherry here from Taunton,MA I was banded at BIDMC 2/13/06 and still loving my band. There are quite a few who post in the BIDMC thread as well :)

Hi everyone!

I was banded on Oct. 15 and happy about it but after 2 fills I still have no restriction which is frustrating..

Am doing well otherwise but have gained some weight back since the initial loss..:pray2:

How are you doing now? Are you back on track and have you had additional weight loss? I have been reading a lot about people who are not happy with the process and have not been loosing weight! Do you think it is worh it?

How much weight did you loose and how much did you gain? Do you think you know what caused your gain? Are you happy with the process?