Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Massachusetts Bandsters Chat

Hi Sue,

Thanks for the response. I am still struggling, had my 3rd fill and still no restriction, I am trying to be patient, but I can't help wonder wha is wrong with me.

Is anyone out there going through the same things??

Is anyone from the North Shore?

Janet

welcome! i live on the north shore, wakefield. i was banded 7/06 at bidmc by dr. jones. how much is in your band? i have never had more than 2cc's in my band. how long does it take you to eat? i found if i eat slowly and remember NOT to drink during or after i fill up more quickly. i have had problems w/getting "stuck" and having to throw up to get unstuck - it sucks! i do know someone who has not had much success with her band but she also did not change what she eats until recently. keep working at it and talk to your nutritionist. mine is great and always has good suggestions. good luck!

Hi Dezadoo,

thanks for the suggestions. well I try to take my time and follow all the rules, but it doesn't quite matter if I forget to because it goes down the same, no problems, never got stuck or froth or anything, I know that I am not restricted because If I took too big a bite or rushed I would be having those problems, Right? I a not starving, no real difference than before. I am from Rowley, close to Ipswich, Topsfield, Newburyport area, had my surgery at Lahey Clinic in Burlington and that is where I go for fills.

Janet :biggrin:

Hey Fellow Massachusetts Bandsters!

I live on the South Shore and had my surgery at Brigham & Women's under Dr. Lautz. I love my doctor and his staff; it is very busy though. I had surgery on 11/6/07 and had my first fill on 1/3/08. I have lost 65lbs. but am heavier than most so that is why I am losing as quickly. Started at 358lbs and am at 293. I love the band but it has a mind of its own. I know that I am ready for another fill because I am getting more hungry in between meals. I had pretty good restriction right after surgery and is the reason I have lost so much but I have slowed down. I lost 1lb this week. I will take it because the scale is going down.

Today will be tough because we are having a Football party for the AFC Championship game and the house is loaded with bad choices but I didn't do this journey to never eat bad stuff what is good is that you can have it in smaller portions and jump right back into your routine. The band is good for getting back on track for sure.

Would love to keep reading about us successful Massachusetts Bandsters!

Cindy

hay there countrygirl, there is nothing "wrong" with you , the folks at Lahey like to take it slow with the fills. I've had 5 and am just starting to feel some restriction, but I did have some of the bad sides when I eat too fast. unfortunately that doen't stop me, only delays what I eat and thus, I end up eating too much ...........hang in there, I'm a hard core foodaholic so it's taking me longer to "get it" I'm sure you will do better!!!! I find that I am needing to still think of this as a diet cuz when I don't I make poor choices, so when they say this in not a diet, yah! bull....this is harder that it would seem.:lol:

Hey Fellow Massachusetts Bandsters!

I live on the South Shore and had my surgery at Brigham & Women's under Dr. Lautz. I love my doctor and his staff; it is very busy though. I had surgery on 11/6/07 and had my first fill on 1/3/08. I have lost 65lbs. but am heavier than most so that is why I am losing as quickly. Started at 358lbs and am at 293. I love the band but it has a mind of its own. I know that I am ready for another fill because I am getting more hungry in between meals. I had pretty good restriction right after surgery and is the reason I have lost so much but I have slowed down. I lost 1lb this week. I will take it because the scale is going down.

Today will be tough because we are having a Football party for the AFC Championship game and the house is loaded with bad choices but I didn't do this journey to never eat bad stuff what is good is that you can have it in smaller portions and jump right back into your routine. The band is good for getting back on track for sure.

Would love to keep reading about us successful Massachusetts Bandsters!

Cindy

Hi Cindy have you ever gone to the Faulkner for an appt? Does Dr Lautz do appts over there? I have my second fill there w/ Dr Vernon on Feb 8th..I heard it was less hectic over there.

I am for the very first time hungry since my surgery 11/13.Hope this fill helps that.

~Mel

Hi Cindy have you ever gone to the Faulkner for an appt? Does Dr Lautz do appts over there? I have my second fill there w/ Dr Vernon on Feb 8th..I heard it was less hectic over there.

I am for the very first time hungry since my surgery 11/13.Hope this fill helps that.

~Mel

Actually, I am not sure but when I made my last appointment I was told that Dr. Lautz would be going to Faulkner to do surgeries. I haven't gone to the Faulkner for an appointment. I enjoyed Dr. Vernon's seminar. However, I had it my mind to go with Dr. Lautz. I love him; he is really quiet but knows what he is doing. I love love love my band. I go for my 2nd fill on 2/6/08. I can't wait; really need it. My weight has been going down slowly.

Best wishes!

Cindy

Thanks Cheri52, I am trying to keep the faith, I have had a few days now where I feel a little preasure in my chest as I eat, even as I drink sometimes, but I know it is not like others talk about with restriction, because I don't necessarily have to chew the food to death in order to swallow. I suppose I am eating less due to the fuller feeling.

I just want to be sure that I am having success.

I know what you mean about the "diet", I agree with you. I suppose If I had perfect restriciton and could eat what ever I wanted, than the Portion Control is what would help me to lose wieght. I lost only 20 pounds between the pre-op diet and the first week after surger restrictions, other than than nothing.

Janet

Janet, wouldn't that be nice! eat whatever! probably not ever, that is what got us here in the first place. restriction only works with solid foods. picture an egg timer as the hour glass with the sand running out. solid foods stay put in the top and make us feel full. We eat slowly to make sure that it is small enough to eventually go through and also to give our brain long enough to get the message that we are full. chewing takes time! things that I would want if I were not in "diet" mode , such as icecream , shakes, chocolate, cream Soups, etc, (you get the idea) go right through so those calories go unchecked and we don't get or stay full for long, thus, we eat again. it will still always be about calories in , calories out. if we don't burn them we'll wear them.

actually I can swallow ok if I don't chew well (or is it slow:confused: I'm never sure) , it's when it gets futher down and some weird thing happens and my gut rejects the whole idea. early with the fills I was having trouble swallowing just the 1st bite, how strange is that!!! my throat would close up like a spasum, that seems to have gone, now it seems to be a speed or stress thing. I swear I have never been a nurotic person before, eating or otherwise. took me by complete suprize :cursing: but all the side effects I think are designed to make us slow down ! the body is trying hard to get me the message, I just need to pay attention:wink2:

Cheri52,

thank you for taking the time to explain how the sensations are for you when you eat, it all makes sense to me. I wish others were more thorough, because it is hard to explain what is going on inside of us and how things feel. basically I know that I am not chewing as they told me to, do you think that would really make a huge difference??

The sensations I am experienceing now, after months of having NO sensations or what they call restriction, is now I have almost a mild form of constant heartburn, whether I am eating, drinking or nothing. I also have a constant "tightness feelin in my chest whether I just ate or haven't for 5 hours. I have never experienced frothing or pb'ing or the "stuck" feeling that people say is HOrrible. just to remind, I have had 3 fills , surgery was done Oct 4th, and no weight loss or restriction due to the band other than in the beginning. I was excersing regularily up until last week, I am so discouraged, I know I can't give up, but I am struggling.

Thank you for your support, I really appreciate it, and need it.

Did you have your surgery at Lahey too??

Janet

Actually, I am not sure but when I made my last appointment I was told that Dr. Lautz would be going to Faulkner to do surgeries. I haven't gone to the Faulkner for an appointment. I enjoyed Dr. Vernon's seminar. However, I had it my mind to go with Dr. Lautz. I love him; he is really quiet but knows what he is doing. I love love love my band. I go for my 2nd fill on 2/6/08. I can't wait; really need it. My weight has been going down slowly.

Best wishes!

Cindy

I didnt meet him persay but saw him in the ATR area (treatment rooms) when I was having my port re-done. But he and Dr Vernon were laughing bc they were both there at the same time, which I guess never happens

Anyhoo I went with Dr Vernon for a few reasons one being that I knew how popular and busy Lautz was, shes a great surgeon (check they all are) and well bc she's a she's.

Still learning the band. I have pain when I eat too big of a bite or too fast...at least that what I think. but can eat more than 1 cup at a time.

Other times I feel tighening at the back of my throat when I eat. Still slowing loosing.

hi,

I have never gotten that pain in the throat deal,

just a gnawing ache in my chest, is that the restriciton,

I can eat all I want, I did do that last night and had heartburn all day today though, so not a good idea, but no froth, pb'ing or getting stuck, do I need more of a fill, oh yea, and my hair is falling out,

what do you all think?????????

hi,

I have never gotten that pain in the throat deal,

just a gnawing ache in my chest, is that the restriciton,

I can eat all I want, I did do that last night and had heartburn all day today though, so not a good idea, but no froth, pb'ing or getting stuck, do I need more of a fill, oh yea, and my hair is falling out,

what do you all think?????????

:tt1: Oh my, hair falling out isn't good. Yes I had mine at Lahey, Do you remember them telling us that we needed 60 grams of Protein? are you getting them? My understanding is that a lack of enough Protein is a major cause of Hair loss, and other things, that is why they stress having that first, in the event you run out of room. Although that is rarely a problem with me! sometimes I think they left my pouch too big! I can always eat more that a cup:frown:. I'm still working on the "do i need more fill" myself. I'm due for another 2/11. I think it has to do with how long you go before you are hungry on the recomended amt. of food. If you are hungry all day or soon after you eat, AND are doing the proper things (ie:No drinks before or after, no Soup, etc.) than I would say you do. But, they will tell you that. Did you have Dr. Bram? The ache in you chest, heart burn? I would definately get checked out!!! that may have nothing to do with the band. you need to call them ASAP. It may only be stress, but it could be something more serious. PLEASE:target::frown:(got your attention?) go get checked out!!!

Can I ask you a question Countrygirl and Cheri...you both say you can eat without really chewing well....yet you have a funny feeling in your throat? Is that correct?

Countrygirl if you're getting heartburn, yet you say you can eat more than you should....something sound odd. Have you tried counting your calories? It sounds like symptoms I had when I was actually too tight. If you're not getting in enough Protein or cals you would lose your hair.

Figured I'd start with those and see if I can offer some help if you'd like it. I'm two years out from my surgery, I've had fills, slight unfills and just about a complete unfill during the process due to Acid Reflux. I've actually been filled to the point where I couldn't swallow my own spit, was fine in the office but overnight ended up in trouble and had to go in the next day for an unfill. I've had PBs, I've had the golfball but I've always had to chew well....definately a good habit to get into. I've been away from the threads for a while but, just popped in and noticed you were asking questions but, not sure where they started. Please feel free to ask if you'd like my help. I wish you the best!