Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Massachusetts Bandsters Chat

Hi All..

My name is Sherry, and I am in Lynn, MA. I had surgery last September, and I guess I never really looked at this part of lapbandtalk!

I have had a pretty easy few months, and am finally able to feel good restriction.. My surgeon is Dr. Randall in Medford...

Sherry

Hi all,,, I haven't posted in a while, but been popping in and out, nerves are frayed, finishing up paper work at work for the time off, and trying to get things set up at home to make it all that much easier for the wife. The guy's at work have been very supportive, wishing me the best, until I get back, and I take it all in stride with a smile, and hand shake. But S.O.B.!!!! My guts are quivering, and (sorry for this) my but is puckering!! I see every one talking about the rollercoaster ride they are on, and try to help, and talk them to the other side of it, but,,I don't want to be on it any more,, I just want it over with!!

Hey Jim, You're going to do great. All that you're going through is what each of us did before surgery. Heck I don't think you'd be normal if you went through it feeling nothing at all and not worrying in the least. I even wrote my husband, son and mother letters just in case but, I wrote them in a way that they could read them no matter what. I actually told them I wanted them to read them either way. You're still going under the knife so lap or open...either way you're under and it's scarey. But..as much as we all have ups and downs I can tell you whole heartedly...I'd do it again! There has been far more good days than bad and I've had my band over a year now. I've lost 70 pounds in a year and I know it's because the band helped me. Good luck with your journey and if ya need someone to talk to PM me and I'll send along my number so we can talk. Hugs!

Thanks Sherry,,,I know most eveyone has gone through it,,but figured I could get around it by focusing on other stuff,, like work, and just getting ready to go in for the band,,, but that " AINT WORKIN' ",, :faint: ,,,go figure! I'll bet if I did a search heere I would have found that out too!! Hehehehe,,,,

You're welcome Jim. My surgery was on a Monday so I worked the whole week prior and kept busy myself. On the weekend I enjoyed my Saturday with a last harrah that my friend took me out for and then it was the pre-op diet for 24 hours. I think it hit me more during Saturday of what I was about to do than it did the night before. I cried Saturday wondering what the hell I was doing to myself and why couldn't I just lose the weight on my own yadda yadda. Finally I wiped the tears and thought this way...I helped a friend with her surgery with this as well......So many times and so many diets I would try to lose this weight only to gain IT and more back. After 3 great weeks of dieting and weightloss the 4th week nothing..I'd keep going and bingo nothing again that was it. I'd eat anything I wanted and gain it all back. Well...guess what? You can't do that with the band especially when you have a few fills. You can't give up (is what I told myself) the band will help keep me going until the plateau broke and I'd start to lose again. I had that "tool" that I needed to keep myself on track. Sure you can blow it....if you want to survive on ice cream, milk shakes and other soft bad things but, once you've lost some...you won't want to do that to yourself. I know I haven't wanted to and it's been over a year now. So my friend....after the 9th you will be on your way :myscared: You'll have the help to keep on keeping on for yourself and your family :Banane32: I wish you the best!

Oh don't forget when you pack for yourself to bring a bathrobe you like because quite often the dang hospitals don't have one the right size and you're going to be doing alot of walking :Banane32: Don't wanna be shinin the moon to peeps hahaha. I know it helped me as well as a comfy pair of slippers, listerine strips and some chap stick :)

Thats funny, today is my last day of work, I work 4 on and have 4 off, my surgery date would actualy be my 1st day back to work next week,, so there won't be much of work to dull the thinkin' much,,Doc wants me to lose 10 lbs for surgery, that ia about it for a pre op-diet....As for the cryin,,, well we ale know men don't do that (when anyone is watching).

And I have not found a robe that fit me in 15 years!!!!! LOL,,,if they don't like the moon.........hehehe........well I'll just leave em with an impression!!!:omg: :heh: ,,,

The "AIN"T BEEN WORKIN' " thing ,,,,, I meant workin' to keep my mind off from thinkin' of the surgery,,,,hehehehe,,,,sorry.....

Hmmmm you may just leave an impression hahaha. My friend ended up using two Johnny's one in the front and one in the back :Banane32: That's why she warned me. Our hospital has sinced ordered larger ones...hmmm seems they should of done that when the created the Bariatric center in the FIRST place lol. Hmmm lets see....think of a project you need to get done at home and work on that before surgery lol. That will help keep ya mind on the 10 lb diet thing and keep you occupied so you don't have time to think about the surgery :Banane32: My doc wanted me to lose 10 before surgery too...I didn't make it DUHHh if I could and keep it off I wouldn't need surgery, I was thinking anyway lol. I lost 6...hmmm might of been 8 but, I did go out the Saturday before and had fried cheesecake hahaha my bad but man was it good :myscared:

ok jim

let's redirect your focus

the way i look at it, is when i go to get a box of computer paper at work

the darn thing is heavy. it weighs 20 pounds a box. I have lost 2 boxs and working on my 3rd.

in the first month just on liquids, you'll probably lose a great deal

and you are on you way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how cool is that!!!!!!!!!!

close your eyes and see how much easy it will be when 1 box goes then another and another

that's your focus..........this summer be able to do more and feeling good about yourself

focus on why you are getting the band , and what you want from the band, the results of using the band best for you

good luck on the 9th

deb

Thanks Deb, and everyone else... my focus right ow is those pesky 10 lbs between now and fri. morning, that will/is taking care of thinking about the actual proceedure,,,,uhg,,,the knife, the needle, the pain of it all,,and the gas pains .... I read it all, and wonder, WTF am I doing??? But alas, my wife, my children, and the rest of my family...... I know, deep down I know, I love them all, deeply,,, and sincerely. I know that it is a shrt time of pain, considering the alternitive, I sometimes feel like Lady Justice standing ther with her scales, ,,,,,,back and forth, back and forth, i weighs.... sorry just rambling,,,venting.....

You are all very wonderful people, I wish you the very best.

Private shout: See you soon Bandida!!! We'll hook up for a meeting....

Thanks Deb, and everyone else... my focus right ow is those pesky 10 lbs between now and fri. morning, that will/is taking care of thinking about the actual proceedure,,,,uhg,,,the knife, the needle, the pain of it all,,and the gas pains .... I read it all, and wonder, WTF am I doing??? But alas, my wife, my children, and the rest of my family...... I know, deep down I know, I love them all, deeply,,, and sincerely. I know that it is a shrt time of pain, considering the alternitive, I sometimes feel like Lady Justice standing ther with her scales, ,,,,,,back and forth, back and forth, i weighs.... sorry just rambling,,,venting.....

You are all very wonderful people, I wish you the very best.

Private shout: See you soon Bandida!!! We'll hook up for a meeting....

Hey!! Wow!!! Friday!!! that's so cool!!!! I'm so excited for you!!!!:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: and I know you can lose those 10 pounds!!! Keep us posted on your success!!!! I look forward to our meeting!!!! oh, and I agree with everyone, I think every person deals with the surgery differently but with the same fears and worries... You'll do fine... The last few days are worst I always thought...You constantly question everything. Just keep busy and enjoy your kids especially..It will be a while before you are able to lift them!!!!! The "jonnies" at Baystate are pretty big, I don't think you'll have any issues.:) lol..and the nurses are pretty good. I will warn you, They WILL make you walk once you go upstairs it's not fun :faint: but it will help with the gas. If you think nausea will be a problem for you ask the anesthesioligist to give you the patch behind the ear..I had it and helped INMENSELY!!! If you have any more questions just ask and I'll answer what I can for you!!!! and a little early...but WELCOME TO BANDLAND!!!!!!! :)

Hugs and Blessings!

olga

5 hrs and counting!!!!!!! See ya on the otherside!!!!!!

:clap2: Congratulations Loki and Welcome to Bandland!!!:clap2:

I hope all goes/went well. Keep us posted on your journey!!!!

Blessings!!!