Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how do you know???

Well I wasnt sure, I know it now in hindsight.

My biggest fear was that this huge urge to eat would remain, I thought I had "emotional eating issues" and that I would be physically unable to quell it. I found that quite frightening.

But the urge to eat hasnt remained for the most part. I dont have "emotional eating issues" I just liked to eat and once you take the pleasure out of it - ie. you cant stuff your face full of huge mouthfulls of yummy doughnuts and they cause you pain - the desire has just evaporated for me, I rarely even think about it anymore. I still like the occasional doughnut or muffin but its a planned occasion, taken slowly and enjoyed and becuase its slowly, one is enough. I thought I was eating to fill some void but it turned out that my brain desired 20 minutes eating so it told my body to eat for that long, now that's one muffin, before it was four or five.

I think if you're truly a binger, bulimic or a really emotional stuffer, then you need to seriously think about how you'll manage a band. I took a bit of a leap of faith, but I guess I was very lucky. I would have called myself a binger because I could eat four muffins in 20 minutes but I know its a long way off the problems some people are living through.

You have to be ready to change too I think, because it still takes work. You cant be grabbing at straws, trying yet another method, you have to have thought it out, considered it, I had a "lightbulb" moment in this regard. I had been thinking about the lapband as punishment, a preventative for me ever eating the way I had been again, suddenly I realised that if I wanted to succeed, then lapband or no lapband I could never eat that way again anyway. Sounds obvious but in my mind I had been thinking, "if I dont get banded, then I still have the safety hatch". I realised I was kidding myself. You have to come to truly know that I think.

I have one regret. The lap band didn't exist 20 years ago or I would have been the first in line. I love it and have absolutely no regrets whatsoever.

how do you know if the lab band is made for you ? any regrets anyone?

I don't think you ever really "know" FOR SURE. But, as Tired Ol' Man said...there was not much else left for me. You are doing the correct thing by reseraching the heck out of it and getting all perspectives so you know what you are getting into. It IS work and as long as you know that and accept the challenges you will face....it is all good. Regrets? No....nothing big. Because I'm still on a learning curve, I sometimes regret not being able to eat that WHOLE bag of chips or whatever but logically I khow that is just craziness and so...no, I have NO regrets. I love my progress so far and it is just the beginning!

Anyways, do the research; check out the other threads under "general" and "support" (but be SURE to ignore the childish juvenile threads....you don't need to see the freaks arguing or fighting over the STUPIDEST things....just read the helpful ones!).

Good luck in your decision....only you can know your path!

Too repeat what has already been said. As Yoda said Research a lot until you are comfortable with your decision.

Like Jack , I also tried everything going and failed at them all.

Like Dody my only regret is that I did not know about lap-band surgery when I was a lot younger.

Regrets about getting it done, none what so ever, just remember the band is just a tool to help you in your weight loss, a lot of your changes will have to come from the way you think about food. You will now eat to live not live to eat.

For me this is one of the best decision's I have ever made, and it was money well spent. Good luck in your decision.

Maria:)

:help: This is an interesting thread. I guess my biggest fears have to do with the fact that I don't eat during the day. I do all my eating in the evening. I've never been a morning person, and so I've never been able to face food during the day but I begin to get awful fond of it when the sun is going down. In fact I eat a mono-meal; it starts at 8 PM and ends at 10.:hungry: By the end of this my gut hurts and I have to lie down. I also drink a lot of Water while I am eating. I really, really like icy cold water. And melted cheese over everything.:hungry: Ooooh.....:rolleyes:

I knew that the status of my unhealthy life was getting worse and made the decision to seek surgical intervention. For health reasons and existing medical problems, I opted for the least invasive and so far, have no regrets.

I haven't had the surgery yet, I am pre-op, but I believe that this band will change my habits. The feedback which I have been receiving from this site tells me that. I am feeling very positive about band.

*cough cough* Canadian...

anyways, I don't have any regrets either. I'm very happy so far. The hardest part for me is that I get a little depressed when I can't eat what or as much as I want to... it gets frustrating. But I'm obviously still getting accustomed to this whole new world of.... eating to live, not living to eat... I guess.

*cough cough* Canadian...

The hardest part for me is that I get a little depressed when I can't eat what or as much as I want to... it gets frustrating. But I'm obviously still getting accustomed to this whole new world of.... eating to live, not living to eat... I guess.

That is EXACTLY HOW I've been feeling too Mandi....since I have restriction. I'm a lil' pissed about it!

why? what happened?

We ate in a restaurant tonight too. We ordered one meal and I just had a few bites of it.

I use to LIVE for Buffets, Now I think there a total waste of money. Jack is right about one thing though, if I'm in the mood for some "intimate serious eating" after a paced around having a bit of a hissy fit, I Actually Do Something Else. I'm getting much more done around here.

I chose lapband over other weight loss surgeries because I liked that it didn't permanently re-route my stomach and intestines. Also, it is adjustable, allowing me to choose the level of restriction that suits me, and I can change that as time goes by.

First, I had to decide to have surgery for weight loss...that wasn't too hard, since my health problems were increasing with age and obesity. Then, which one to have, and lapband was the one that appealed to me.

I have no regrets, only positives...

Use the search feature on this site and enter "bandiversary". Read what people write when they have reached a 1, 2, or 3 year anniversary of having their surgeries.

I've been lucky in that I lost interest in buffets years ago. Now I want my food made specially for me, and brought piping hot to me at my table. This does mean that I have gotten in touch with my inner princess, though.