Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wt Loss Not What Expected! What Am I Doing Wrong?

I had surgery june 18th. In jan wt 234. Dr appt 3 weeks before surgery wt 217. Day of Surgery Wt 211. tomorrow will be two weeks since surgery and as of yesterday Wt was 205. I'm pretty disappointed at this point as I have been on nothing but liquids since the surgery taking 3 shakes a day at 32 grams of Protein each or 2 shakes and 4 oz of low sodium broth. I'm also getting in 64 oz's of Water in a day. Taking in less than 500 calories a day I thought there would have been more than 6 lbs loss over 12 days. I'm on this forum constantly and see people are losing 5-6 lbs in the first few days after surgery but 12 days it seems my body has been hit by a train to only lose 6 lbs since surgery. What the heck am I doing wrong?

I had surgery on 6/20 and as of Friday I've lost 8.5 lbs. I kind if thought I would have lost a little more. I keep stepping on the stupid scale and I'm up 2 down 2, its so aggravating. I'm going to leave the scale alone for a few days. It stinks to not really br eating and nothing much.going on scale wise.

You're not doing anything wrong. The shock of surgery can cause you to retain and even gain weight. I gained 10# in the hospital. It took me awhile to get that back off. Then I went through the 3 week stall. It was a little while before I got the ball to rolling, but after I did it for sure gathered no moss. Just have patience. Every-one's journey is different. YOU WILL LOSE!! Best wishes :0)

How much do you have to lose? If you have a smaller amount, your loss will be slower. When you see someone losing 10 lbs a week they are usually a heavier person with much more to lose. Also, the first week you are still carrying around alot of fluids for surgery. I didn't show any loss until 6 days post op.

Well, this may or may not be the case, but look at your feet. If you poke the top of your foot with a finger really hard and hold it for a second does the dent stay (even for a second) when you move your finger? If so you have edema--aka swelling on your feet/legs. I am trying to lose as much as I can before surgery and wound up gaining 13 pounds. I went to my family practitioner for another issue and mentioned that I am eating half as much but still gaining. She immediately poked my feet--then my legs--and said I had about 20 pounds of Water weight on my legs. I mentioned that I was up 3 then down 5 and up 6 etc......she said that yo-yo thing is often a sign that you are retaining a lot of water......just a thought.

You have just shocked the poo out of your system. Give your body time to figure things out and readjust and find a new "normal." I lost ZERO the first week after surgery, then very little the second. At three weeks I hit a SIX week stall. Then I started blasting right on through all of it. Everyone IS different, so do not compare your progress so much with others. If you are following your guidelines, it WILL work. It will happen. Don't freak out on us! ;) Drink, drink, drink. It's hot out there!

same here, feeling as though wow I just went through all of this and only a 3 pound loss?? But my husband reminded me that my body is going through a lot and I need to give it time and it will work. I think for me, it was just that I was scared... scared that I would have made a mistake but thats just false. Everything will be okay and just give your body time to rest and do what its going to do. :) I think I'd worry more if I were into the months and gaining or something yikes!

If you read alot of the low BMT ppl's post on here you will see that almost everyone who has less than #100 to lose will lose slower and have alot of stalls. I want to lose #70-#75 and have lost #45 in alittle less than 5 months....but I have been at a stall for a month now, ever since I started exercising!!! My clothes are looser, but the scale is EXACTLY the samee...so there are times when It's so frustrating but just keep your eye on the proze and the end goal will come, no matter how long it may take!

Sorry BMI!!! LOL

Hi! I'm 7 days post sleeve. I couldnt give a rats about the scale ATM.

Dietician who visited me in hospital gave me a wonderful talk.

You starved your body and then went into a massive surgery. You come out and starve it again? NO!

I am on 3 resource Protein drinks (20g of Protein in each 200 mL bottle-- sipped for 90 minutes each)

Also on yakult drinking yogurt- 2 a day

Also a chewable multi

Also Campbell's real beef consumme stock (100 g serve sipped over 30-45 minutes)

Also sustagen or vita soy drink (concentrating on protein per serve)

THEN I am to worry about my free fluids. I still love Water, so drink as often as I can but do not put Water about nutrients.

I have been using my old yakult yogurt bottles as a sipping guide so I don't stretch myself out with water.

Your body NEEDS to heal before you can worry about the darn scale!

I have weighed myself.. 103.8 kilos a week before

98.6 a day before and 96.1 kilos 2 days post op.

A kilo is about 2.2 lbs I think.

I will start weighing myself when I get into the next phase, which is purée.

Don't starve your body the nourishment it needs to heal itself. You have forever to work that sleeve into the new you, no need to rush. Starving will lead to stalls. A truly fueled body will take care of it for you. Starving instead of healing can lead to complications with wounds and such.

As for the lady who has started exercising-- 1 kg of fat and a kilo of muscle weigh the same, yes. As does a kilo of down feathers and a kilo of marbles. But a kilo of fat takes up nearly double the space a kilo of lean muscle takes!!

Do yourself a favor... Dump the scales and get your measuring tape out.. Fortnightly is often enough... Write it down! You will love yourself for it!

Thanks everyone for the pep talk. I appreciate all the words of encouragement. I know I need to stop worrying about the scale. I didn't gain overnite and I know it's going to take time to lose it. But being Human I can't help from wanting that instant gratification. Here's to keeping my chin up!

If you look at other posts on here you will see the Vets say the same thing, "Step away from the scale for a few weeks!" "You are swollen from surgery" "Your body gained IV weight" "You are in shock"

So there you have it. Put the scale away for a few weeks and relax. You will lose weight, it is impossible not to. People worry too much about weight and become obsessed with it. Later on, weight once a week or two, not everyday!