Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does your doctor say about drinking coke?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What does your doctor say about drinking coke?

• No problem, drink it if you want to.
    • If you have to drink it, drink it flat.
    • Don't drink it at all, its bad for you.

I have also heard, not sure if it is true, that diet carbonated drinks also have a lot of salt in them, which makes you thirsty and makes you want to drink more. Anybody else heard that? I was told it at Weight Watchers.

I was told NO carbonated drinks. Specifically they named sodas, champagne and beer. I saw on the pre op sheet that it also says no Alka Seltzer either. I've talked to several others that have been banded by different docs here in the Dallas/FW area and they were all told no carbonation. The reasoning was the stretching of the pouch, which will eventually cause it to lose its effectiveness. Having said that, I have decided I'll likely still have a very little here and there (when I'm sick, at the movies etc.) but as far as the old driving thru the fast food restaurant just for a Coke--guess that's over. It's that word "never" that gets to us I'm sure. I'm interpreting "never" as "very very seldom" which is a vast improvement for me. I think the doctor's know that if they don't say "never" we won't hear them at all!!

I found myself looking for the posts that said Cokes were really ok because that's what I want to think---of course I'd like for someone to tell me that it turns out that smoking cigarettes is actually GOOD for me too!!:rolleyes

Soft drinks contain not only carbonation, but also high fructose corn syrup, which has been linked to diabetes and obesity. The stuff is evil incarnate!

Three months ago I made a conscious decision to eliminate anything with this ingredient -- you would not believe how many products have this crud in it!!!

Stay away from sodas. If you want a soft drink as an occasional treat, I'd suggest making your own lemonade.

Per my doctor, I'll have to give up diet soda permanently after the surgery due to the gas (I've already cut down from 6-8 a day down to one a day), but that said, the "diet soda is high in sodium" claim isn't true anymore. It used to be true, back when pop contained saccharine (also called, "sodium saccharine"), but diet sodas that contain aspartame are not high in sodium. It says right on the bottle of Diet Coke, LOW IN SODIUM, and there are 30mgs per serving.

If I get to craving a soda really bad and ignoring it doesn't make it go away, I will get a coke flavored icee at Walmart or Target and that hits the spot. I don't do it often though as they are loaded with sugar.

My soft drink of choice was Diet Dr Pepper - new choices I'm trying are the flavored waters and green tea. Also like diet lemonades. The weaning process is not fun, but I seem to crave it less as time goes by. However, that cola icee sounded good.

[NOOoooooo<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

<HR style="COLOR: #e9e9e9" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message --><!-- google_ad_section_start -->No soda for me will be harder than to stop eating, instead of coffee in the mornings I wake up with my soda]

Jessiel55 I totally agree with you! I have been coming to terms with all of the rules and changes as my band date comes closer, but when I heard about no carbination I was acutally stunned. I think I could be on the liquid phase forever before I could give up soda. I told myself two days ago that I was being a baby and I could do this and decided to give it up pre surgery. I lasted two days. Scarry!!!!! I am currently drinking 8-10 diet Mt Dews per day and even think I could go to caffine free, but the thought of not having that cold pop when I wake up is too much to bear. I keep reading about people who thought they could never give up their dt coke and now do not miss it. I hope I am one of those people after surgery. HOWEVER, if I am not one of those people is this a deal breaker? Will I undo everything if I have soda pop daily? does anyone currently have soda daily?

thanks,

smiletracy

goodbye pop....love of my life....second only to food:think

Smiletracy, I've been in your shoes (kinda). I use to love soda especially Coke and Root Beer. 4 years ago I was very sick and had to have abdominal surgery 100 times more severe than the band. After the surgery I was never able to have regular soda again. At first the pain it cause due to the gas and then my body wouldn't tolerate the high fructose corn Syrup. I haven't had it in 4 years. Do I miss it? Sometimes I do but not so much anymore. The severe consequence of drinking it has helped. But if you think about it, you are putting an extra 800-1000 calories a day into to your body not to mention the obscene amount of sugar. Think of how much more weight you will lose when you give up soda, and I would bet you will feel alot better too. Hope this helps.

I thought I would have a hard time giving up diet soda. I've been building up to drinking at least six a day for 30 years. I'm not a coffee or iced tea drinker so soda was my drink of choice all day long. I went ahead and gave it up when I started the pre-op diet and didn't miss it! I had a headache for a couple of hours the first few days but that went away. Now I sip on Propel or, gasp, water! Oh, and I like Diet Snapple, too. I never would have believed it would be this easy!

I gave up all soda in May of this year I gave up coffee and tea also and same for me it all all too easy. I feel so much better not so nervous and up tight

Thought the questions were a bit misleading....

don't drink it because it's bad for you...someone may think because of the band is why the doc said it.

Nope, humans shouldn't consume soda pop... but it's your choice to drink it, and no, it doesn't have to be flat.

Grace, thank you for the green suit, I couldn't believe how beautiful it is. I am working my way into it. I am a 14 now so not too long. thanks again.