Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does your doctor say about drinking coke?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What does your doctor say about drinking coke?

• No problem, drink it if you want to.
    • If you have to drink it, drink it flat.
    • Don't drink it at all, its bad for you.

My doctor said I could have pop. The carbonation creates gas for some. He said it usually comes with less than healthy eating, so he cautioned me. But, he said as far as my band goes, there is no problem with pop.

Ditto. :) Former Mt. Dew fanatic here.

(Oh, how I'd love an icy cold Code Red right now!)

Not really into soda here, but I LOVE pelligrino and beer. I cut both of them out a few weeks ago to prepare for surgery (6/7). So far it hasn't been a big deal.

By having the lapband installed, I don't feel like I'm giving anything up. I am embracing a whole new life and that feels better than anything I could ever eat or drink.

I also don't have any plans to throw away the $15,000 lapband loan I just took out on a few pints of beer (or soda, or whatever).

A trainer told me last year when I joined the gym (which by the way didn't help me lose the weight obviosly), that the reason people who drink Diet Coke are usually not thin is because our bodies don't know what to do with the artificial sweeteners b/c it is unnatural. Your body will then turn it to fat. Don't know if it is true, but it makes sense.

I don't think it's turned into fat since there are no calories there. But I think it conditions our bodies (and minds) to desire things that are sweet (or "sweet"). And the next time you want something to drink, but your only options are Water and regular coke, your body will tell you to go for the coke.

As for high fructose corn Syrup, this is what automatically turns into calories, because our bodies don't recognize this as sugar and don't know what to do with it.

Our government overproduces corn and uses the excess (and that's after the first batch of excess is supposedly sent to feed the hungry in other countries) to create a toxic byproduct sweetener that they sell to big corporations. That's why HFCS is in everything. And that is why I am so wary of buying anything that is made with it...

I don't miss carbonated beverages. I was very surprised! I thought I would die without them. I took a sip of one the other day and thought it was kind of gross...

I have been like that with fried foods too.....I tried a tater tot and couldn't believe how greasy it tasted.

weight.png

Mine said to have very little, if any, carbonated beverages or beverages with caffeine. Something about the caffeine binding with fat cells and making it harder to get rid of it.

I'm trying to cut it out now before getting banded but working midnights makes it very hard not to crave some sort of pick me up.

Guest ZenGarden

Hey guys:

Personally, I have been drinking Cherry Coke ZERO for the past five weeks and have had NO ISSUES WHATSOEVER. I asked my bariatric RN what the big deal was surrounding the 'no carbonation rule' and she basically told me that one of their bypass patients chugged an entire diet coke two days after surgery and caused serious damage to her pouch.

Since we are banded/restricted instead of actually having a recreated stomach, I honestly don't think carbonation will be an issue. Just my two cents...

I must admit, I've succumbed to the lure of diet cola -- though I drink far less than I used to and I drink it much more slowly. However, I have found it to be a contributor to some nasty reflux episodes (and this is true for anybody, not just those that have been banded). I've decided it's just not worth the risk.:nervous