Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does your doctor say about drinking coke?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What does your doctor say about drinking coke?

• No problem, drink it if you want to.
    • If you have to drink it, drink it flat.
    • Don't drink it at all, its bad for you.

I do still drink fountain cokes, I can't handle bottled drinks or canned sodas. I typically drink 1 a day and it takes me all day to drink it.

My doctor told me no carbs, I love the bubbles, I can't chug it, but who cares.

i am in a slump right now i am not loosing any weight at a stand still i am getting depressed about it,i am having trouble with my acid reflex any advice. bonnie

Bonnie, we all go through plateaus. It is perfectly normal and to be expected, although of course it is frustrating.

Why don't you revisit your agenda, and see if there is anything you can do? Look at what you are eating. Change your exercise around. If you are having acid reflux, I would suggest you examine what and when you are eating. Since I had my last fill, I will get it if I eat after 7 pm. So guess what I am changing? Yep, now I avoid eating after 7 pm.

The acid reflux may suggest that you are eating too much or the wrong things, which may also explain the stall in weight loss.

Bonnie...

I found that eating only solid Protein at dinner - and nothing afterward - helps both issues - weight loss and reflux. If I eat Soup for dinner, or eat/drink after 7 PM, I have problems with reflux.

We often go to Market Street (it's like Whole Foods) in the evening and I have 1/2 slice of prime rib (about 6 oz) and I am full till bedtime.

My Dr. told me no probs with carbonation - in fact he told me to try carbonated drink first if ever food got stuck!

I guess it depends on your Dr.

My doc told me carbonation will stretch the pouch. Does anyone know if there is truth to this? I am too scared to find out so I haven't touched the stuff but about once a month or so I would love a sip of Diet Coke.

I love going to drive thrus and ordering a glass of Water if I'm out and forgot my bottled Water. Most are free and the attendants are usually cordial about it.

Chick-fil-a makes a really great diet lemonade--no carbonation. Most have iced tea also.

I had a long discussion with the dietician about Coke. I have basically kicked my Coke addiction, but I REALLY like to have one when I have a Migraine, when the caffeine and sugar and carbonation combine to help my queasy stomach. She concluded by saying that a truly occasional Coke (once a month) is 'counterproductive not dangerous'. But the problem is most of use can't stop at one, and if it becomes habitual the carbonation can contribute to pouch stretching. AND it fools you into thinking you're full when you're really not so then you end up eating more total. So there are good reasons to give it up.

I'm thinking I'll wait 'til I get to my goal weight and then have the occasional Coke.

My doctor said "use your common sense. A champagne toast now and then is ok, but don't drink gallons of soda every day because it could cause discomfort." When I asked him if it would hurt the band, he said no one really knows but it's a "theoretical" risk. I myself enjoy a Guiness now and then. It barely has any carbonation as it is and I think the carbonation in beer is different than in soda anyway.

my doc said no sodas but if you had to drink diet and let it get flat. but i say if you have to drink flat diet what's the point? i just dont miss it and don't drink it. i was a cokeaholic before my band on sept. 21, 2006 so i am suprised that i can live without it after all.

my doc said nothing about no soda...but i will ask him next time i see him...i have had a few diets with no pain or discomfort....why exactly is carbination bad for bandsters?