Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does your doctor say about drinking coke?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What does your doctor say about drinking coke?

• No problem, drink it if you want to.
    • If you have to drink it, drink it flat.
    • Don't drink it at all, its bad for you.

I think there is a misconception from drs. that do lapband and RNY surgeries that the precautions are the same. With the band, the liquid goes right thru the band into your stomach, so why would the carbonation do anything to your band? Unless you drink it right after eating and you aren't suppose to do that anyway with ANY liquid.

Think about it......why would any liquid, carbonated or not, do anything? You still have your complete stomach. The carbonation doesn't stay in your pouch.

That said, I was terrified of drinking diet coke.......thought I would bloat up and explode with one sip.....then I watched my DH get hit on his motorcycle. He wasn't hurt but it stressed me out so bad that I reverted to my old standby for stress, a big diet coke. I walked up to a fountain, got the biggest cup, filled it with ice and pop and sat down and drank the whole thing. No problems....no gas, no bloat, no pain. After that I have a diet coke about once every 2-3 days. I try not to go overboard with it or live off it like I did before my surgery, but it hasn't caused me any problems since I started drinking it again.

My doctor said no carbonated drinks. He has gone to medical school for years and been in practice for years. Who am I to second guess him. I paid him a lot of money to get me this band and guide me through the process. So, if he tells me no carbonated drinks, then no carbonated drinks it is.

Just my .02.

I agree with Susan (we had the same doc). I've tried some small sips, but that's not the same as a big ol gulp, so it just wasn't the same. I miss a few things, like big bites of a big juicy hamburger with all the trimmings, little bites just aren't the same. I REALLY miss my Subway sandwiches for lunch, but can't do the bread so what's the point.

Being halfway to goal by following most of the rules is worth more than any temporary craving I might have.

Just another 2 cents from one of Dr. Herrera's bunch!

Just something to think about....think about adding Alka-Seltzer to a balloon.....it will BLOW IT UP! Just a word of advice to the risk-takers out there....do not risk popping your little balloon for a quick fix of a carbonated beverage. If you are not very tight then you might be Ok, however, if you are tight you will hurt yourself - it's just not worth it.

I didn't drink until I hit goal. Now, I am having one a day. I truly believe coke kills germs and all the stuff floating around here needs killing!!!

My surgeon told me no carbonated drinks what so ever...He says that it blows up and tends to stretch the pouch...Now, have I listened?? Of course not, I love the diet cherry vanilla dr pepper and have had a few since the band and they tasted wonderful but it seems I can only drink about a fourth of one in a sitting before I start feeling kind bloated and bubbly in my pouch

My doctor said wait 6 months after banding... then the occasional soda or beer is ok - but not all the time.

Well, I had an addiction to diet sodas before banding. I didn't know HOW I was going to survive witout my diet pop!

But after banding, I simply gave it up completely, due to my surgeon saying NO CARBONATED beverages. It was a lot easier than I thought.

Shrug...Now I can not stand the taste of diet anything. I prefer Water and I bet my body thanks me for it.

Please be careful with carbonated beverages...

Our doc (wife and mine) told us they'd prefer NO soda, period, end of statement; but with that being said, that if we MUST have a soda, flat, in a cup, not out of a bottle or can and NEVER use a straw.

Since I was banded (July of 2004, now down 76 lbs +) I can probably count (maybe using 2 hands) the number of times I have had a soda. Never did like ANY kind of diet soda, and giving up soda (almost) completely, since banding was easier on me than I had thought it would be!

Likie many southerners, I was a Dr. Pepper junkie. So I decided to finish up the Dr. Pepper we had in the house about two weeks after I was banded. It was in June, the first week of school. I drank a glass of Dr. Pepper and had no problem. So I drank several more glasses over a couple of days. That resulted in the worst attack of gas I have ever experienced. It was hell trying to teach a 1 hour and fifteen minute class everyday while trying not to fart. It was like the 2nd or 3rd day after banding when I grossed out a whole airplane. Luckily there was another banding patient on the plane so I blamed her. After the Dr. Pepper, gas pains were also a big part of my day. After that, I haven't touched a carbonated drink. I don't intend to touch one. I never want to have gas like that again. I drink ice Water with a little fruit juice in it. Sometimes I just have apple juice at school since it's easier to carry around. But apple juice actually has more carbohydrate than Dr. Pepper. So I have compromised and drink Water flavored with strawberry/banana Juicy Juice. It seems to work pretty well and I like it.

Alas, I used to like beer. No more. It has gas in it. I check the labels for gas in drinks. I never, never want to have gas like that again though my former students tell me they didn't notice the fact that I was doubled over with gas pains during the first week of summer school. They think the whole thing is hilarious, but I didn't think so at the time. It gets funnier the more distant it gets, but I still avoid any gassy drinks like the plague.:eek:

I had my surgery in South Florida. My new doctor (the one I got when I moved north), says that soda will erode your band. :faint: I had never heard that before. I think it's a ploy to keep us off the soda. Have any of you ever heard that? How could soda get to the band when it's on the outside of your stomach?

Just wanted to share - this won't be an issue for me for awhile. It seems that Malawi is running out of carbonation and since the holidays are coming up, the factories are using all the carbonation for beer, hence there is a shortage of sodas in the country.

Just wanted to share - this won't be an issue for me for awhile. It seems that Malawi is running out of carbonation and since the holidays are coming up, the factories are using all the carbonation for beer, hence there is a shortage of sodas in the country.

Really????? Hope it happens here too...lol less tempation for me!!